WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Thursday, April 3, 2014 - A RAISIN IN THE SUN on Broadway, GUYS AND DOLLS at Carnegie and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- A RAISIN IN THE SUN returns to Broadway tonight, starring Denzel Washington! Check back later for our revivew roundup...
- Nathan Lane, Sierra Boggess, Megan Mullally and more star in GUYS AND DOLLS, directed by Tony winner Jack O'Brien at Carnegie Hall tonight!
- MOTOWN and the Theatre Development Fund will welcome 1,500 local students to a special matinee today.
- David Henry Hwang, Jose Rivera, Jeff Whitty, KINKY BOOTS star Billy Porter and more take on The Bible in THE MYSTERIES at The Flea.
- THE ACT, with Randy Graff, Cady Huffman and more, will play in concert tonight at 54 Below.
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- Harvey Weinstein revealed at a recent workshop for FINDING NEVERLAND that he wants Taylor Swift to write a Broadway musical.
- Also in the works is a Kurt Cobain musical, spearheaded by Courtney Love.
- We got a first look at the Encores! production of THE MOST HAPPY FELLA, plus a peek at Christopher J. Hanke in BUYER & CELLAR (here)!
- The Public Theater's HERE LIES LOVE is getting a cast recording, while the original Broadway cast recording of SWEENEY TODD joined the Library of Congress.
- Nearly 100 stars will join forces for this year's 24 HOUR MUSICALS; among the talent are Broadway's Constantine Maroulis, Lea Delaria and Kathy Najimy!
- HBO's SIX BY SONDHEIM will be honored at the 2014 Peabody Awards in May.
- MAMMA MIA! will celebrate its 15th birthday in London on Sunday!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Yes, the clouds are beautiful. Look at all those different shapes... Cloudy with a high of 55.
Quote of the Day: For all you playwrights out there...
"In many ways, theatre is more rewarding for a writer. I used to think it was like painting a wall - that when the play is finished, it's done - but now I realise it's more like gardening; you plant the thing, then you have to constantly tend it. You're part of a thing that's living."
-- Lee Hall (via BrainyQuote)
Video of the Day: In honor of A RAISIN IN THE SUN's return to Broadway tonight, watch an intense scene from the 2008 movie version, starring Sean Combs, Phylicia Rashad and Audra McDonald, reprising their roles from the 2004 Broadway revival.
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to David Hyde Pierce, turning 55 today! Pierce has appeared on Broadway in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, for which he was nominated for a Tony Award, La Bete, Accent on Youth, Curtains - which won him the 2007 Tony for Best Actor in a Musical - Spamalot, The Heidi Chronicles and Beyond Therapy. The actor is well known for his portrayal of Dr. Niles Crane on the TV series Frasier and just finished directing a production of 'Vanya and Sonia' in Los Angeles.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!