Assistant Carpenter - Opera House - Brooklyn Academy of MusicBack to Jobs | View More Classes / Instruction Listings
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
BAM’s Production department is looking for an Assistant Carpenter who will work with the Head Carpenter in managing carpentry and rigging elements for both presented and produced works, including managing BAM’s manual fly system. The selected candidate will be able to collaborate with BAM and Visiting Company Production Staff with advance planning for a show or event by interpreting ground plans, scenic drawings, rigging plots and fly cue run sheets. The selected candidate will exemplify strong leadership and communication skills to successfully operate independently and collaboratively as part of a larger team. Ideally, the selected candidate will be available to begin work as soon as possible due to our current timeline of upcoming performances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for performing and supervising carpentry and rigging work for all performances in BAM Opera House.
• Assist Head Carpenter in working and managing all load-ins, load outs, rehearsals, performances and work calls.
• Responsible for performing and supervising carpentry rigging maintenance in the Opera House as a working member of the crew, including operation of Opera House manual fly system and motors
• Collaborate with all stagehands, departments, and production management to work with artists and companies to present cutting-edge, internationally renowned performances and art.
• Work with Head Carpenter to identify crewing needs for productions and events in conjunction with BAM Production Staff, and the Crew Chief.
• Work with Crew Chief and BAM Production to ensure crew consists of a diverse workforce
• Enforce standards of operation in carpentry and rigging that are safe for both personnel and equipment.
• Represent the Carpentry Department in production meetings.
• Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work and comfortable with DEI concepts, programs and initiatives
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• 7 years' experience working in related theatre/stage work in carpentry and rigging departments
• Experience and knowledge of theatrical and arena rigging.
• Experience and knowledge of manual single and double purchase fly system.
• Experience interpreting ground plans, scenic drawings and rigging plots.
• ETCP Theater and Arena Rigging Certification within 364 days of hire date. This certification must be kept up-to-date.
• Must be flexible and adaptable in relation to the work and scheduling
• Union Affiliation: If not currently a member, the selected candidate will be required to join IATSE Local 4.
Working Conditions: Ability to stand for prolonged periods and ability to move throughout the facilities as required daily. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds with the assistance of a team.
Compensation: Salary and Benefits will be provided per the IATSE Local 4 CBA (union) specifications, includes:
• 40-week contracted year at 40 hours/week, with frequent additional hours and weeks required
• Weekly salary of $1,910.52, with significant additional OT
• Fully funded Local 4 Healthcare Plan
• Paid Vacation (4 weeks) in addition to Paid Sick Time per CBA
• Contributions to Local 4 Pension and Annuity
• Perks include comp tickets, neighborhood discounts and more
Application Instructions: Must complete an online application through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
Internal Applicants must apply via the Internal Job Portal by the application deadline. Applications not submitted by the deadline may not be considered. Employees must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for an interview:
• Completed at least 1 year of continuous, active service in current position. (Positions excluded include, but are not limited to, temporary assignments, and probationary employees);
• Meet the experience and skills requirement as outlined in the job post;
• Be employed in current position for at least one year:
• Performed in a satisfactory manner without any corrective actions in the last 12 months
Brooklyn Academy of Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BAM recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment and is working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms. Individuals in BAM are experiencing their own pace during this process, which is not uncommon when addressing power and privilege. The Production Department supports and continues to take part in this process.