Science Channel to Premiere MEMORY GAMES 2013 on 7/15
This summer the power of the human mind is put to the ultimate test as Science Channel broadcasts coverage of the 16th Annual USA Memory Championship in the world premiere of MEMORY GAMES 2013 on Monday, July 15 at 10 PM ET/PT. Last March mental athletes from all over the United States travelled to New York City to compete in the Olympics of "thinking" games. For the first time ever, Science Channel cameras were there capturing all of mind-boggling action as competitors raced against the clock to memorize hundreds of names and faces, a host of numbers and countless cards in the hopes of besting 50 other athletes and being crowned champion of the 16th Annual USA Memory Championship.
"The USA Memory Championship features our kind of athletes-the kind that do heavy lifting with their mental muscle," said Debbie Adler Myers, General Manager and Executive Vice President of Science Channel. "MEMORY GAMES 2013 is science as a sport at its finest, and we're excited to feature a competition that explores the extraordinary power of the human mind."
MEMORY GAMES 2013 features coverage of seven demanding rounds of the USA Memory Championship. The qualifying round requires athletes to memorize:
· More than 100 names and photos of faces in 15 minutes
· 500 random numbers in five minutes
· A shuffled deck of 52 playing cards in five minutes
· A 50-line unpublished poem including punctuation in 15 minutes
That's just to get the main event where the top eight scoring mental athletes take the stage for the final championship round consisting of:
· A round robin onstage recall of 200 random numbers. Miss one number and the athlete is out!
· A tea party where real guests provide real information for the athletes to memorize and recall. If an athlete misses three pieces of information, he or she is out of the competition.
· The last three athletes memorize a double deck of shuffled cards and recall all of the cards before a live audience, round robin style. One miss and the last two remaining athletes Face Off in a head-to-head duel, where only one is crowned champion of the 2013 USA Memory Championship.
In addition, the one-hour special takes Science Channel viewers inside the grueling training regimens and assortment of impressive mnemonic devices participants use to prepare for the competition. MEMORY GAMES 2013 premieres Monday, July 15 at 10 PM ET/PT.
Tony Dottino and Marshall Tarley, co-founders of the USA Memory Championship, who also served as executive producers on MEMORY GAMES 2013 said, "We're excited to take this event to a national television audience so people will know that memory is a skill they can learn and develop at any age. Science Channel is a media pioneer in enlightening people to the unlimited potential of the human mind."
MEMORY GAMES 2013 is produced by Sharp Entertainment and Rize USA. Matt Sharp is executive producer for Sharp Entertainment. Sheldon Lazarus is executive producer for Rize USA. Tony Dottino and Marshall Tarley are executive producers for the USA Memory Championship. For Science Channel, Rocky Collins is executive producer and Kaitlin McIntyre is producer. Bernadette McDaid is Vice President of Production for Science Channel and Debbie Adler Myers is general manager and executive Vice president of Science Channel.