Page: 1

A very disturbing local news story

DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A very disturbing local news story#0
Posted: 1/13/04 at 6:19pm
I wanted to tell you about a situation that has one of my gay friends and I very upset.

Two gay men went missing on the same night from the same club. 20 DAYS later they start telling about it on the news.

If that had been a kid or a straight young woman/man, it would have been splashed all over the TV and the newspaper within 48 hours but we guess that because they are gay,their disappearance means nothing.

I feel very outraged that they are not being afforded the rights of a human being first. The fact that they are gay should never even enter the picture.

Well, they found the one boy, dead, wrapped in a sheet inside his car. I guess he did that to himself. Lord only knows where the other is or what was done to him.

The other very upsetting thing is my friend received a post card/hate mail days before the two went missing. He called the law but they didn't seem interested in it. Ho hum.

Thank goodness he already had a trip planned and is currently out of town. I've told him to be very extra careful in the coming weeks when he comes back home. I'm very worried for him.

I just don't know what to think. It's so horrible.

Not even the animals are safe--somebody went into a pasture and killed a pregnant horse. Carved the meat out of her while she was alive. How sick can people be?

BTW, the horse got more media coverage than the missing men. I love animals but I'm in shock that it rated better than the loss of TWO human beings.

I PMed this to Namo and he suggested I post it here.

Updated On: 1/13/04 at 06:19 PM
dotmarie Profile Photodotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A very disturbing local news story#1
Posted: 1/13/04 at 7:09pm
That's terribly awful. The fact that they were gay shouldn't make a difference in the world. This is one of the things I absolutely cannot stand - discrimination against people for whatever dumb reason. I can't believe they let 20 days go by before mentioning it. That's horrible.

And about the horse...that is sickening. What is wrong with people?
Bway_Mill_Fan Profile PhotoBway_Mill_Fan Profile Photo
Bway_Mill_Fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
wow. that is very disturbing and i hope that the note was only an awful attempt at a joke and nothing happens to him or any more people for that matter. and what is up with the enforcement? you would think people are more tolerable now than before.(if they decided to not pay attention because of your friend's preference)
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A very disturbing local news story#3
Posted: 1/14/04 at 4:05am
Bway_Mill_Fan, what do you mean by, "what's up with the enforcement?" You seem to be the one showing preconcieved intolerence to law enforcement. If a local department didn't investigate one piece of "hate" mail it's probably because mail is the jurisdiction of Federal Postal Inspectors. And unless there's a pattern of harassment what department has the resources to investigate a single piece of mail? Only time that happens is when it's directed to a federal official.

And DoB5, what makes you think that the fact that these two men were gay did or did not enter into a story being "splashed" earlier? Why are you assuming that others assumed their disappearence meant nothing? Because their disappearence wasn't splashed across the media doesn't precude that an active and aggressive investigation wasn't being conducted. Often in criminal investgations MANY things for MANY reasons are not broadcast to the media. Basically because to do so could hamper the investigation. And let's not forget that all too, too often loved ones are in denial about their missing love's gayness. Many time totally forgetting to mention what could be that one little salient fact to an investgator. Can't investigate something as a hate crime unless all the facts are presented. And again, all too, too often many family members of victims denounce any mention of a loved one preference and don't want that detail made public to the media. And of course, without that "titillating" factor there's often not much media interest in the story. Adults do go missing all the time. Adults have the right to go missing. And adults have the right to privacy if they choose to do so. Law enforcement stradles those rights everyday. And God help them if they don't keep a balance.

Possibly there is a connection with the young men's disappearence. And perhaps for a variety of reasons it took 20 days to make the connection. But when at least 10% of most police departments are gay I doubt apathy was the reason for the lack of news coverage.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A very disturbing local news story#4
Posted: 1/14/04 at 6:44am
Not a lot of time to answer--getting ready for work but both men were at the same gay club. That's the last time either were seen. It's not a hard jump to think someone or more could have been waiting for them to leave the club.

I didn't say they weren't missed.

The families, when finely interviewed, were the ones most upset by the fact that they had not been able to get the media to help them get the word out that they were missing sooner.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Whether or not the police invetsigated the disappearance properly, this story is disturbing just for the fact that someone was murdered in a way that sounds brutal and that possibly a second man may have been murdered. It points to the possibility of a serial killer stalking gay men.

I have to wonder if the lack of coverage on these diappearances are the fault of police or the media. When you look at the coverage of mising people it is slanted toward the young white female. White children, particualrly cute ones sre more frequently featured on the news when they are missing than are children of color. This is usually the fault of the media that chooses the people that will most effectively pull at the heart strings of viewers. The police don't really control this and they may very well have been invetsigating these disappearences.

Etoile, I think you're right in saying that the police often withold information so as not to compromise and investigation but, I think that happens more when they actually know a crime has been committed. In this case, it sounds like these men were reported missing, there was no evidence yet of there being a crime and DofB5's outrage is over the fact taht had tehre been some story on the news, somone may have remembered seeing somethinga nd possibly could have helped the police in preventing the murder.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Orion, I totally agree with you.
Here in Chicago two little girls disapeared the same week that girl in San Diego went missing and was later found murdered. All the media focused on was the girl in San Diego. Why? She was from a rich white family, while the two litte girls here were from a less affluent black family. People here were outraged. To this day the two Chicago girls have not been found. But in the other case, it was solved, tried and a conviction received.

PEACE.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would definitely contact the Human Rights Campaign about this.
Human Rights Campaign
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
NYCbabe3789 Profile PhotoNYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While this is a really disturbing news story, many disappearances are not reported and it has nothing to do with racism or sexual heritage. Many times it is a money issue, or the circumstances under which the victim went missing were too common to be reported across the nation (not that I agree, this is just the simple truth.)

Again, it really was a terrbile thing that happened, and I hope if the media does not avidly report it, the police do something about it.