Singin' In The Rain-on Broadway

TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Singin' In The Rain-on Broadway#0
Posted: 1/12/04 at 10:24pm
OK, this is random...and kind of On Topic, but whatever. lol
I was listening to the movie soundtrack of Singin' In the Rain today, and I was just thinking of how cute it would be on Broadway. I could totally picture Jenn Cody playing Cathy Seldon.
Any thoughts?
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
magruder Profile Photomagruder Profile Photo
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Singin' In The Rain-on Broadway#1
Posted: 1/12/04 at 10:30pm
Not sure if you are aware that a stage version of Singin' in the Rain played on Broadway at the Gershwin, around 1985 or so, under the direction and choreography of Twyla Tharp, and was not a success.
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 1/12/04 at 10:30 PM
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Singin' In The Rain-on Broadway#2
Posted: 1/12/04 at 10:40pm
I was not aware. Hmmm, interesting. I knew there had been an original staged production many, many years (decades) ago, but I was not aware of the 80's version. Perhaps it just wasn't the right time for it. We're so much more technologically advanced now that I think a revival could be quite spectacular. I could just imagine how hey would play out the scene where the character is actually dancing around in the rain.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lavishness of stagecraft was not the problem. The show was a huge, elaborate production, and the rain effect was terrific. The problems were elsewhere. Some movies just are simply better as movies, and the movie, Singin' in the Rain, has a lightness of style that the show could not approximate. On top of it, it's hard for any young singer-dancer to compete with the memory
of Gene Kelly in the film (not to mention Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds). Also, the production's director/choreographer Twyla Tharp I think was initially given free reign, and then was forced to recreate the movie's routines, to "give the people what they wanted," so any artistic impulse the production had was stymied. Ultimately, the stage version just felt superfluous, much like the stage version of Meet Me In St. Louis that played the Gershwin soon after Singin' in the Rain's departure.
"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 1/12/04 at 10:53 PM
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Theaterbaby, the 80's version was the first stage adaptation of the film. It was written for the screen, not the stage. However much a failure the B'way version was there always seems to be a regional/dinner theater production going on somewhere in the country.
PEACE.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Magruder, too true. We had a big touring version here in Australia a couple of years ago. Yes, they had the rain, yes they copied the choreography, but at the end of the day it was unsatisfying. I'd have been better off watching the movie and saving my money.
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But I want to see a real stage version of it. re: re: re: re: re: re: Singin' In The Rain-on Broadway Not something copied directly from a movie. Is it just because people have no imagination, or is it because whomever owns the rights will not allow a different interpretation?
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the Bwy version of SINGIN'IN THE RAIN. The problems was that the show lacked direction. Twlya Tharp could not direct the book scenes and as a result they fell flat. The rain scene wa marvelous and some of Twarp's original dances were good, but I walked away from ths show with a shrug.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Elphie Profile PhotoElphie Profile Photo
Elphie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Leena (two e's or one?) is one of my dream roles.
"They hear drums. We hear music."
magruder
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, no E's. It's Lina.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm still trying to figure out what a "Rain-on" is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A fabric like rayon.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thank you Namo. I'm indebted for life.