10.Bride of the Gorilla
Poster Emeritus
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Rotten Movies#1
Posted: 1/11/04 at 7:31pm
Day of the Triffids (possible musical subject?)

....and Blonde Venus - I never get tired of it! Perfetc for an Off-Broadway camp musical. Dietrich's "Hot Voodoo" entrance was recreated with Uma Thurman in Batman and Robin.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 1/11/04 at 07:31 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#2
Posted: 1/11/04 at 8:26pm
I often remember The Tingler w/Vincent Price.

The theatre seats were supposed to vibrate when the Tingler was crawling around on screen. The Tingler looked like a rather large lobster tail. Oh, and I think the B&W film did some blood red tinting when Vincent's wife was in peril for her life.

Who cares to remember the William Castle films. House on Haunted Hill. In my local theater a skeleton was suspended behind the curtain next to screen and at certain times during the film the curtain would open and the skeleton would extend out into the audience on a wire. It was laughable then.

Broadway Bulldog
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#3
Posted: 1/11/04 at 8:32pm
The Tingler is a classic! Judith Evelyn is fabulous in it, as the mute who can't scream, gesturing like Norma Desmond in her silents. Wife of an uptight projectionist (!), who grows the beef tenderloin, I mean, Tingler, on her spine, has it cut out only to crawl around the floor of the local Rialto. "Rotten" movie? Does my vivid description make it sound like ... like a "B" movie? I think NOT. A favorite from my childhood.

My favorite Oh-to-live-and-screw-around-in-NY-City turkey I have a warm spot for: "The Best Of Everything," with Joan Crawford, Hope Lange, Diane Baker, et al. And Johnny Mathis singing the treacly song. Rent it, you youths. That's the NY many of us aspired to! Yes, even having Joan Crawford as a boss.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/11/04 at 08:32 PM
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#4
Posted: 1/11/04 at 8:37pm
Hey Bulldog, I love William Castle movies. I remember the Tingler & HOHH & both the publicity stunts you mention. How about "13 Ghosts" with the Ghost Viewer ( released on DVD with the viewers )& Mr Sardonicus & the famous "Punishment Poll" ( only 1 ending was shot but who cares)

There was a movie a few years ago paying homage to Castle called "Matinee" with John Goodman as the Castle charactor
Poster Emeritus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Auggie...That's right. she was a mute, of course, she couldn't scream. I actually happened to like the film. It was more cheesey than rotton.

I loved 13 Ghosts, Rox. I saw that bout 7 times.

Bulldog.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Killer Shrews gets my vote. Little shaved poodles with fangs running around wreaking havoc. Circa 1959.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The House on Haunted Hill is my all-time favorite horror flick. It was the first scary movie I ever saw. My father and I watched it on TV and the witch floating out of the closet scared the pee out of me. My father tells the skeleton story all the time (he saw it in the theatre). You can see the point where it happens in the film because there is this long pan of the cellar towards the end where nothing is happening on screen.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Killer Shrews ? I never heard of that one. Damn, sorry I missed it. I used to see all those flicks, too.

My best friend's dad owned one of the 3 local movie theatres. But I always paid. We just went alot, lol.

Bulldog
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Favorite Rotten Movies#9
Posted: 1/12/04 at 7:00am
Two words: COBRA WOMAN.

Oh, Auggie! THE BEST OF EVERYTHING is one of my special faves. "You and your rabbit-faced wife can go to HELL!"

LOVE HAS MANY FACES with Lana Turner and bikini-clad "Huge" O'Brian. FOXFIRE with Jane Russell and shirtless Jeff Chandler.
And THE FEMALE ANIMAL with Hedy Lamarr and Jane Powell (as Hedy's DAUGHTER) fighting over nearly-nude George Nader.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#10
Posted: 1/12/04 at 8:18am
The Killer Shrews is a great movie. Bad great I mean.

There is a movie called legend of bogie Creek, or something like taht which has been featured on Mystery Sciene Theater 2000. It's a lot of fun to watch with the MYST 2000 characters giving their commentary.

Night Of the Living Dead, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Pink Flamingos, I Spit On Your Grave would all be on my list. There was a badly done movie a while back...hopefully someone can ermeber the title...It was the alst movie Bette Davis ever did, it shortly before her death while she was very ill and looked terrible. She played a chain smoking evil witch who marries a widower much to the dismay of his grown children

http://www.danperezgallery.com
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#11
Posted: 1/12/04 at 8:31am
Orion....
Night of the Living Dead is widely considered to be a horror classic and I'm not sure I would list it under the category of "rotten" movies...or movies so bad they are good.
I think my pick would have to be Mommy Dearest. That movie never fails to cheer me up when I'm in a bad mood.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#12
Posted: 1/12/04 at 8:35am
Have you SEEN "Night of the Living Dead?" Trust me, it fits in this category. It's notoriety has nothing to do with its quality.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#13
Posted: 1/12/04 at 8:37am
I put that one on the list because it really is a cheaply made movie even though it has become a classic. I don't think it was ever meant to be a great movie. It just gained taht status over teh years. i sometimes think that the genius in it was unintentional
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Favorite Rotten Movies#14
Posted: 1/12/04 at 8:46am
I offer up the opus THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED TRANSPLANT starring one Casey Kasem as our hero, Bruce Dern as the tragic scientist genius and Pat Priest, she of Marilyn Munster fame, as his damsel in distress.

When I met Pat at a comic book convention and had her sign the video she laughed, shook her head and said 'there's always one of you with this.'
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Master: Where are Hugh O'Brian and George Nader when you need them? Or ... Stephen Boyd (in The Oscar? Or anything?)

Stephen made me want plastic surgery as a kid, so I could have a cleft chin. But Michael Jackson got there first.
Updated On: 1/12/04 at 08:53 AM
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about the movie with Rosie Greer where a white bigot gets a head transplant from a black guy. They end with two heads that are always fighting each other. Or, the one where the guy saves his fiancee's head after it is severed in an accident. He intends to transplant it onto a body. The head sits in a pan of fluid throughout the movie conversing with the guy. I wish I could remember the names of these movies. It's too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet to get the brain working.
Updated On: 1/12/04 at 09:00 AM
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I also need to add Trilogy Of Terror with Karen Black.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS is the fiulm you are thinking of, Orion dear!

MOMMIE DEAREST is in a class by itself.

And Hugh O'Brian has his own website (where you can order pricey photographs, but alas, not such niceties as his underwear)- and he founded H.O.B.Y.: Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership.

And I KNOW it is a perfectly honorable organization with laudable goals, but I am sorry... I can't help giggling. It's all too nifty.org!

Hugh O'Brian's Site
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 1/12/04 at 09:45 AM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: favorite rotten movies#19
Posted: 1/12/04 at 9:53am
i humbly submit the classic revenger, "i spit on your grave," and the first "toxic avenger" (or anything from troma for that matter).
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: favorite rotten movies#20
Posted: 1/12/04 at 10:12am
Where was the Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership when I was a youth? Damn, I might've turned out so differently.
bongoboy Profile Photobongoboy Profile Photo
bongoboy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: re: favorite rotten movies#21
Posted: 1/12/04 at 10:28am
I've got two.

1) Reform School Girls W/ Wendy O'Williams
favorite quote..."Let's beat the Sh*t out of each other!!!"

2) The Lonely Lady w/ Pia Zadora
favorite scene...sexual assault by a garden hose
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: favorite rotten movies#22
Posted: 1/12/04 at 10:58am
I'd also like to add my choice for best movie about rotten movies. I love Ed Wood. I'm excited for the upcoming special edition release on DVD.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: favorite rotten movies#23
Posted: 1/12/04 at 11:37am
orion59 - Bette Davis film could be the made-for-TV Burnt Offerings (which scared me as a kid) or Watcher in the Woods, maybe?
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: favorite rotten movies#24
Posted: 1/12/04 at 11:41am
Bongo, I was suprised it took someone so long to bring up the sublime Lonely Lady. There are too many scenes to mention but the pool scene and the shower/breakdown scene are two of my very favorite pieces of film ever put to celluliod. And that theme song...WOW!

Mister Matt, I too had horrible nightmares from HOHH. That witch haunted me for years. Really. I was a very impressionable child and my cruel older brothers (the straight ones, of course) tricked me into seeing it. They said it was a comedy with Abbott and Costello. I left the theatre in tears. They of course, thought it was hysterical. It was not till I was grown that I had the nerve to watch it again and realized how bad and campy it was.
PEACE.