Page: 1

I'm Thinking of Joining the Navy: Good or Bad Idea?

*brina-doll* Profile Photo*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tomorrow I'll be turing 17, and for a while I've been seriously considering joining the Navy. I have so many things that I want to do college wise; but unfortuantely I don't have the money, best of grades, or a strong parental backing to do this. I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to enlist in the army, serve my time and have college payed for afterwords. Does this sound like a naive idea? Any advice about this subject would be helpful.
Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/29/08 at 6:46pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 06:46 PM
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was in it when John Paul Jones was around but it has probably changed drastically since than

You will see a lot of the world & having college paid for in the process is great.
Poster Emeritus
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm really into photography and journalism, so I was hoping to look into a field like that. I'm also into the performing arts, but I'm betting they wouldn't need a Nellie Forbush to entertain the crowds re: I'm Thinking of Joining the Navy: Good or Bad Idea?
Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My nephew joined the airforce for that very reason. He thought, "this is a ground war. They won't send Airforce people." This assumption was affirmed by the recruiters. They sent him anyway, and immediately. They kept him there. Chewed him up. Spit him out. Then gave him a discharge on a trumped up charge just before he would have been enlisted long enough to qualify for anything like tuition or veteran's benefits. He never set foot in a plane or a college classroom and he's a mess from what he went through over there.

Find another way up and out.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Photographers mate was always a hard thing to get into. It may be different now. Journalism would be great if you could get it

Good luck whatever you do.
Poster Emeritus
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have you checked out the ROTC program? College, books fees, and most everything else all paid for PLUS you go in as an officer!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
People who enlist in the Armed Forces to "pay for college" and then complain that they were sent into combat make me furious. The Army (Air Force, Navy, Marines) are there to fight wars. If you go into it with any other assumption you are wrong.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/29/08 at 6:57pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 06:57 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
does this sound like a naive idea?

yes.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very true JoeK, but IF someone wants to serve the ROTC program is the best way. You get your education up front (my son had a dual major of PoliSci and Journalism) He is now 2nd PA officer and commanding officer of Media events at a USAF major base in CA. He knows that he may deploy, but feels it was worth it
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's great- I think it's a most admirable decision- but I get so frustrated when I hear people complain that they didn't enlist to fight a war or simalr crap.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with you, Joe. I'm not complaining on his behalf. I thought he was joining for misguided reasons and told him so. I also told him that I thought he was fooling himself if he thought military service was a free ride to anything. The choice comes with responsibilities and consequences. He didn't listen and he endured both. I tell this story only as an example for Brina.
::edited for clarity::
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 2/29/08 at 07:14 PM
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with you JoeKv99, if I do this I understand that I would be fighting and I'd be serving my country first before my career.

And secondly I want to thank everyone for their feedback, especially Papa's. A bit harsh perhaps but I know he's probably right. To be perfectly honest this whole college search thing has been a nightmare, and it's really been reflecting on my personal life and my schoolwork. It's like I try so hard to get things right (school-wise) but I can never please my father; and sometimes I wonder if being apart of the military would finally make him proud of me.
midnghtdolphin Profile Photomidnghtdolphin Profile Photo
midnghtdolphin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm sorry, i have to add my two cents here. i wouldn't. i've known way to many guys that have come back from iraq messed up (my ex being one of them... and yes, we were together while he was there.) and if you're there, it's not only hard on you, but it's hard on everyone that you care about too. i have way too many friends that came home so different... and not in a good way.
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What ever you do don't do it to please someone else. This is a hard choice, and not one to be made quickly.
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/29/08 at 7:46pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 07:46 PM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you mention the Army and the Navy. The Navy would be safer at this point. But, I can also tell you that while both have a photography MOS, those "schools" are usually booked up for a long time, so chances of you doing that in the military are slim to none.

Frankly if it's all about money, work AND go to school.....makes much more sense than the possibility of not coming home alive or in one piece
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
slimandslam Profile Photoslimandslam Profile Photo
slimandslam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I second mominator. Whatever you do, do it for yourself, your own goals, and your own sense of right and wrong.

That, more than anything else, will (eventually) make your father proud of you. (And if it doesn't, that's his problem, not yours.)
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and.....your value and worth in this lifetime should not be decided by whether your father is proud of you.
We come into this world alone, and we leave alone.....the only one you have to truly be honest to is yourself, and it is the one person that we most often try to fool.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If, on the other hand, you're looking for a sense of structure in your life you might also check out the Coast Guard.