I tossed a coin to see which Democrat I should vote for...

Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...since I refuse to vote Republican, and neither Hillary nor Barack do it for me.

Coin landed on Hillary.

How's that for...some kind of process at work?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, it's not passionate, but I like your choice.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My choice as well, but I would be happy to work for Obama if he is nominated.

His lack of experience and specifics worry me, but his ability to unite this country inspires me.

I truly think that Hillary is the most qualified, but Obama could be the better leader.
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm voting for Al Gore. I'll write his name on the ballot if I have to.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Roninjoey Profile PhotoRoninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A person is forced to wonder how you can fail to be inspired by the first African American and first woman to ever be really viable, likely candidates for the U.S. presidency, but to each their own mind.
yr ronin,
joey
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I'm solid in my support of Hillary, but honestly, I feel bad that it's at the expense of Obama. I think he himself is something of a phenomenon and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he takes the nomination, but I just think Hillary is my girl, even if she has set feminism back twenty-seven years.

tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
just b/c it's the first woman and first African American doesn't mean they're any good.
I'm inspired by the fact that we've come to a point where it can happen, but uninspired by these specific candidates.

That being said - I'm voting for Hillary.
....but the world goes 'round
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Eh, neither fits the bill for my perfect candidate, but I certainly feel better about BOTH of them than I did about Kerry four years ago.

There are a lot of rumblings about candidates getting the shaft too early on (Kucinich, Guiliani), but maybe that's something that will be worked out in the next election.

That said, if McCain gets the Republican nomination, I think there's a real chance to have an election focused on actual issues that America needs to think about, instead of asisne morals arguemtnts. I just heard Romney refer to "the liberals" in his party (read - McCain), which is just hilarious to me.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ugh why are so many of you so willing to throw away the white house to another republican, ESPECIALLY McCain
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
Better him than Huckabee or Romney, for chrissakes! Like it or not, a Republican candidate is inevitable.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and with a hillary nomination a republican president is inevitable
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
I don't believe that. But like I said, I'm for Hillary, but if Obama is our man then I'm 100% behind him.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In an season of unprecedented riches among the Democratic candidates, you flip a coin? You FLIP a COIN?!?

All you had to do was a few clicks on the Internet, read their position papers, Google their websites and supporters, YouTube their speeches and appearances and debates.

All you had to do was pay a little attention and Hillary or Barack would have captured either your mind or your heart or both...if indeed you have a mind and a heart to be engaged.

But it figures that the board's obsessive-compulsive Patti LuPone hater would be the one to do something this dumb--and then brag about it.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PJ did you really expect anything else form a mental leper?
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And no more anti-Hillary bursts from you, young Liverpudlian--whether she wins or loses or it remains undecided tomorrow!

Or you will be soundly slapped.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
stop acting like im rong. its not anti hillary to say she cant win the general. its true. She's far too polarizing and divisive to get any support from the people she needs to win. She won't sway any Republicans, EVEN moderates, and McCain will take more independents.
Midnight Radio
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Um, Liverpool, I donít know if you ever have ACTUALLY been to the South, also known as the red states, but it pretty much is still preserved in all it's racist glory for the most part. There are Confederate flags EVERYWHERE, the KKK is still very much present, and even people who don't chose to speak about racism public generally have the teachings of the past rooted deep within them, even if only subconsciously. I know that this sounds pretty stereotypical, but from my experiences, as well as many other black southerners I attend college with, racism continues to be a prevalent issue. If you want to inspire all those hicks and Evangelicals that the Republican Party depends on, nominate Barack. I personally just donít see the argument that he is more polarizing or an easier win against a Republican than an experienced politician with first hand experience in the White House...
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"stop acting like im rong."

Once again, I just have to chuckle.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ooh he typoed Teeheehee.

you're such a douchebag DG. I mean really do you ever have anything useful to say?
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Midnight Radio, I do not agree with liverpool that Hillary can not win, but your statements about southern voters have little relevance.
Those same hicks and racists will come out to vote against either Hillary or Obama, it is a nearly equal equation (and I say this as a person who was born in the south and spent most of my life there).
It is entirely unlikely that any Democrat will win any of the southern states, it is midwestern and far western independents that will swing the election.

One can argue for or against Hillary or Obama in those cases, but there will certainly be a large anti-Hillary contingent everywhere. The vitriol of the right for both Clintons, and Hillary in particular, is a long and pathetic story. Obama is certain to have plenty of those people after him, but there is not the intense, personal, hatred for him. And it is very unlikely that it will be able to be built by the election, no matter how hard the right tries to make it happen.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
See the op-ed I just posted on Hillary-hatred.

And Liverpool--I said TAKE THAT TRASH TALK OUT OF MY POLITICAL THREADS OR I'LL HAVE TO TASER YOU!
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Last time i checked, you didnt start this thread, so claiming it as yours is a bit much.
Midnight Radio
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I do agree that Hillary is a polarizing figure, but I believe that racism would play a larger part in robbing Democrats of votes than sexism. Many, many other countries have had female Presidents or similarly powerful leaders. I see Racism as a much more prevalent evil, unfortunately it is a largely taboo one, but to not consider it is a big mistake.
Updated On: 2/5/08 at 12:02 AM
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I tend to agree with you in an "all things equal" situation, but this is not that type of case.
Hillary Clinton, the particular candidate, has the irrational and idiotic sexism factor against her added to the irrational and idiotic anti-hillary factor. (Although I have had some great trouble of late with the fact that many Hillary supporters are now attributing any support of another candidate to that, sometimes people just like the other person more.)
Barack has the irrational and idiotic racism factor against him, but not the personal stuff.
I think in the end it is about even, or slightly to Barack's advantage.
Again though I think the electoral map plays a role in this as well.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.