Page: 1

NYers: Is SWEENEY selling out the Ziegfeld?

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
NYers: Is SWEENEY selling out the Ziegfeld?#1
Posted: 12/24/07 at 11:23am
Just curious, I want to go again with a group on Thursday afternoon the 27th with little time to get tix in advance. Last year at this time, DREAMGIRLS was going clean at every show. Again, a PG-13 show with a wider audience base. But has SWEENEY been consistently selling out in the afternoon?
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I second this question. I'm out of town now, and am trying to go on Thursday evening to see it.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
Michael Bennett Profile PhotoMichael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Typically the only movies that sell out the Ziegfeld are those that play it as an exlusive engagement. Since SWEENEY is playing in pretty much every large cineplex in Manhattan, I very much doubt its selling out that huge theatre...
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks. My first viewing at a multiplex was surprisingly good, accoustically and otherwise, with only one dip in sound during the Perelli section. I feel I must see the digital presentation, on the Ziegfeld's system. Board posters have already suggested its the optimal, as it was for DREAMGIRLS.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Saw the 7PM showing tonight at the Ziegfeld. It was far from sold out; but then again its Christmas Eve. It was spectacular! The picture and sound were both superb. The orchestrations were thunderous. You're just never going to get that quality of sound in a multiplex. The film was everything I had hoped it would be and then some. The entire cast was excellent. I didn't have a problem with anyone, although if I were nit-picking I'd say that Bonham Carter's performance could have been a little stronger. But Johnny Depp blew me away! I'm convinced he can take on just about any role and make it work. He truly has evolved into one of the best actors of his generation.
Express Yourself!
Updated On: 12/25/07 at 10:45 PM
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Friday night's 9:55 screening was not sold out. There was a large crowd, but there were a number of empty seats up front and on the extreme sides.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Testing1232 Profile PhotoTesting1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Went on the 21st, (4PM) and again on 24th (10AM)-- both far from being sold out.

Agree with others... sound and picture quality amazing !!!
antiandrewx Profile Photoantiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw it on Friday night at the AMC on 42nd street and the sign said it was sold out but there were still empty seats in the theater.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just came back from the 1:00 show at the Ziegfeld, which was only 1/2-2/3 full but there was a line outside for the 3:00 show.

It was magnificent.
baddadnpa Profile Photobaddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Based on weekend numbers, it doesn't look like the film is doing all that well.
The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.
worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Based on weekend numbers, it doesn't look like the film is doing all that well."

It's the fifth highest grossing film of the past weekend and it's not playing in alot of theaters.