Page: 1

The Complete Phantom Of The Opera, By George Perry

alxscrz2 Profile Photoalxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I just ordered the book, the complete phantom of the opera by George Perry. Has anyone read it ? Also does it explain if christine loved the phantom or not ? I think she didn't, but many people say differently.
BeingAliveNYC2 Profile PhotoBeingAliveNYC2 Profile Photo
BeingAliveNYC2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
I have it. I wouldn't say it really explains anything plot-wise. It's just a very beautiful book on how the musical was made, kinda like the Rent book or the Wicked book.

If you really want to get into the plot, you should read the original story by Gaston Leroux. It is such a great book (my favorite, actually), and fills in some things that they really don't touch on in the musical.
'If they told you you could never love yourself, it was a lie.'- Taboo
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's a great read. There should probably be an updated version, if there isn't already, that includes the making of the movie and the progression of the show becoming the longest running musical on Broadway, but I'm not sure if there is. It's a great history lesson, though, starting from square one with a little on Gaston Leroux's life through the movie versions and the stage adaptations. I'm not sure, though, if it ever actually tells us if Christine loved the Phantom or not. I would say that is left open to the readers and audiences interpretations, but I could be wrong. I would say that maybe she did love him at first, but by the end may have felt a little betrayed. Whouldn't you?
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you really want to get into the plot, you should read the original story by Gaston Leroux. It is such a great book (my favorite, actually), and fills in some things that they really don't touch on in the musical.

Kind of illustrates the problem with the musical, doesn't it? That and the fact that you are looking to a book ABOUT the musical to tell you things that should be answered in the show itself.

I would say that is left open to the readers and audiences interpretations, but I could be wrong. I would say that maybe she did love him at first, but by the end may have felt a little betrayed. Whouldn't you?

Again, the show is not that deep. I have a feeling it was not intentionally ambiguous. They just didn't care enough to write fully developed characters or a plot that made any kind of emotional or literary sense.
PEACE.
alxscrz2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
In my opinion I think christine didn't love the phantom. She might have cared and felt pitied for him, but never had love for him as she did for raoul. I think the story and show is about unrequited love, so I don't get why people sometimes say that christine loved that phantom as she did raoul
alxscrz2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Updated On: 11/25/07 at 02:15 AM