Air America host - who the heck knows WHAT happened!?

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liberal Air America Radio host Randi Rhodes was mugged near her Manhattan apartment Sunday night, losing several teeth in a brutal attack that has knocked her off the air while she recuperates. Because Rhodes was wearing a jogging suit and had neither a purse nor jewelry, fellow Air America host Jon Elliott speculated that "this does not appear to me to be a standard grab the money and run mugging."

One doesn't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but it is interesting that the attacker only struck Rhodes in the mouth. Does someone not want to hear what she has to say?

Monsters & Critics
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 10/16/07 at 10:43 AM
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Air America host attacked & beaten#2
Posted: 10/16/07 at 10:49am
That's awful. I'm also surprised that the dog being there didn't thwart the mugger. Maybe it was a tiny one.

When I saw the thead title, I thought it might be Lionel-he's one of my favorites.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Air America host attacked & beaten#2
Posted: 10/16/07 at 10:54am
And here's the classy response from the right.
Here's the base
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#3
Posted: 10/16/07 at 10:56am
where would you think a mugger would hit someone? in the shin? in the stomach? on the arm? ya hit them in the face to incapacitate them. the shock of a blow to the nose or mouth generally accomplishes that.

what time was this? exactly where was it? (ok saw that)

oh never mind, it was surely a well coordinated right wing attack. i hear that rush limbaugh organized the whole thing and farmed it out to one of sliwa's guardian angels and that ron kuby was the inside man who let them know when she'd be outside.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 10/16/07 at 10:56 AM
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#4
Posted: 10/16/07 at 10:59am
Hey Papa- I think even you'd agree- if you're going to mug a woman you grab someone well-dressed, with a purse. And in the few cases that a mugger clobbers someone, it's usually a blow to the back of the head or to the legs.

Apparently this attacker hit her in the mouth with a baseball bat and ran. Police are apparently looking into a poster to her message board who had threatened her the last few days.

But yes, where WAS Rush?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#5
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:01am
And it was mid-evening Sunday at 39th & Park.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#6
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:03am
Countdown to this being a Law & Order episode?
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#7
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:06am
where'd the baseball bat come in? and this anonymous poster? links please.

no, generally you get in close, walking right towards them and strike quick when they look down to check something (their wallet, their lease, whatever) because they feel intimidated and usually reach for what they hold valuable on their person.

and while i'm sure it's a white house coordinated effort to silence the left side of the dial, this would not be the first not would it be the last random act of violence to occur in nyc.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#8
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:06am
But of course, the freepers dismiss it automatically without even knowing anything, saying she probably did it herself, mocking her appearance and saying she deserved it.

I'll go on record now as saying should Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Janet Parshall or the like ever be brutally attacked--we're talking getting whacked to the point of losing teeth, here--I will not say anything nasty about them.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#9
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:07am
what's mid-evening? 6? 8? 10? 1am?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#10
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:08am
don't worry, cal, i'll just go to du and gather the responses that will be celebrating should such an event occur.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#11
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:10am
You're right, some of them will. And they'd be just as wrong as the freepers. Elizabeth Edwards will set them straight, though. air america host attacked & beaten
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#12
Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:57am
Her dog is a Yorkie, according to the Miami Herald. This was posted in the Herald's comments section - interesting because I had not heard this before: "In the last two weeks - Air America host Thom Hartmann has bullet holes in his car, someone shoots a gun through the window of the progressive station in Houston, and now this."
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#13
Posted: 10/16/07 at 12:02pm
Gotta love the first response to the article:

"She probably got beat up by her boyfriend or something like that and is trying to shift the blame to un-named right-wingers. How ridiculously lame. Where's the police report? Make her take a polygraph. Liberals are so gullible they'll be talking about this 'right-wing attempt to silence her' for decades to come."
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#14
Posted: 10/16/07 at 12:16pm
Certainly not a conspiracy - but it really isn't difficult to think that a fanatic targeted and attacked her in that specific way to purposefully shut her up. Alan Berg comes to mind.

chris d
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
air america host attacked & beaten#15
Posted: 10/16/07 at 12:18pm
that's too bad. I wish Randi well. I love her.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#16
Posted: 10/16/07 at 12:27pm
Air America has posted on their website that "The reports of a presumed hate crime are unfounded."

No other details.
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#17
Posted: 10/16/07 at 12:54pm
Having been mugged myself once and losing several teeth when it happened, I can fully empathize with her. It takes a long time to come back after an attack like this , physically and emotionally. I wish her well with her recovery and hope she returns to work as soon as possible. I love her show.

I also hope they catch whoever did this.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#18
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:11pm
Hmm, now it's getting weird.
Not mugged?
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#19
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:14pm
Drunk. Tripped on dog. Vacation in Utah.
chris d
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
air america host attacked & beaten#20
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:21pm
FACELIFT.

I kid.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#21
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:27pm
no! no! it had to be vicious right wingers who did this! i refuse to believe anything else! you can't make me believe that anyone on air america (or bww) could have been over reacting in any way shape or form! it's a hate crime! a bias crime! they are trying to shut her up because dick cheney attacked her with a tire iron!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#22
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:31pm
Oy...how embarassing.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#23
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:34pm
She tripped over her dog, maybe like Paris Hilton did?

Is this the newest excuse for being drunk and falling over?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
air america host attacked & beaten#24
Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:35pm
you people just don't get it. she was beaten! with a baseball bat! by condi! to silence her!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort