Page: 1

ringworm?

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photodfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
ringworm?#1
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:48pm
i noticed a bright red circle on my forearm last night, it was a bit scaley but not itchy at all - has a center the same color as the rest of my arm. webmd, wikipedia, and my pharmacist all said it was ringworm (a fungus, not a worm) and so i've been smearing it with lotrimin ultra. the upper half has disappeared, but now my upper arm is really sore. should i be concerned that after playing cards with my family i contaminated them? should i be concerned that i contaminated my cats? where the heck did i get it? i've been in my apt all week long.
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#2
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:49pm
Yes, yes (well, could you have gotten it from your cats?), and see a doctor!
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 10/14/07 at 10:49 PM
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ringworm?#2
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:53pm
im going to the dr on monday, my cats never go outside (we live on the 3rd floor of a condo) - im kind of freakin out here.
"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
futurenala Profile Photofuturenala Profile Photo
futurenala
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#3
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:56pm
Sounds like it. I had it before. Dont freak out.
"Robin De Jesus has issues"~ JANET DACAL "Yeah, and that's putting it lightly"~ ANDREA BURNS "If you watched CBS on June 15th , I was nominated for a Tony... And I was in Camp"~ ROBIN DE JESUS "...but I ^&#$@*% made you believe I was Italian!"~MATTHEW MORRISON http://legallybrownonbroadway.com/
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#4
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:58pm
Don't freak out. It isn't serious. It's more of an inconvenience than it is something to worry about. I've had it.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#5
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:19pm
I had it when I was 8. I was a total hypochondriac and worried it would spread (do you know if you get it on your scalp, it forms a bald spot?), but as long as you wash your hands after you touch it to put on medication, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#6
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:06am
Have you had unprotected anal sex recently with someone whose HIV status is different from your own?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#7
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:17am
That was my first thought too, but really, who does that anymore? That's so 90's...
DayDreamer Profile PhotoDayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#8
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:33am
Really, namo? I had no idea...

but don't freak out. It's actually quite common, Lotrimin should take care of it. Use for the two weeks to make sure it goes away. It is easy to spread, especially if you go to the gym.
Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Chevstriss
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#9
Posted: 10/15/07 at 3:01am
I thought i had ringworm a few yrs ago, even the pharmacist thought so (and about 7 pediatricians who glanced at it during a wedding I attended) but it turned out to be Schamberg's disease.

also ringworm must be treated w/ an oral medication to totally get rid of it, it's in your system, not just at the lesion.

then again it could be Schamberg's.
I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ringworm?#10
Posted: 10/15/07 at 9:19am
Ringlike rash is also a symptom of the potentially debilitating but treatable lime tick disease.

go see your MD, who has 6+ years of post-college training to diagnose.

Wikipedia? for medical diagnoses? Seriously?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#11
Posted: 10/15/07 at 10:17am
Usually folks don't even go that far. Usually it's the off-topic board for medical diagnoses and that's it.
Stewpot Profile PhotoStewpot Profile Photo
Stewpot
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: ringworm?#12
Posted: 10/15/07 at 10:21am
From San Francisco Chronicle:

San Francisco doctors have reported a cluster among gay men of unusual cases of Kaposi's sarcoma, the cancer-like skin disease whose disfiguring purple lesions were a terrifying signature of a bygone era of the AIDS epidemic.

All 15 patients under treatment for the condition are long-term survivors of HIV whose infections are firmly under control with antiviral drugs. So far, none of them appears to be in any danger.

The new cases of Kaposi's sarcoma have not been aggressive, invasive or lethal - the way the disease behaved in patients with uncontrolled HIV during the 1980s.

Still, the lesions are unsightly, difficult to treat and raise uncomfortable questions about what weaknesses might lurk in the immune systems of thousands of aging survivors of the epidemic.

The re-emergence of this classic AIDS illness in these outwardly healthy patients is an unsettling echo from the past and a warning that this 26-year-old plague still has the capacity to surprise.

"This could either be the canary in the coal mine, or it could just be a collection of rare events that will continue to occur when people are given what appears to be effective treatment," said Dr. Jeffrey Martin, a San Francisco General Hospital epidemiologist and Kaposi's sarcoma expert.
gayer than laughter, am I. And who wouldn't be, after seeing Cheyenne in those tight black shorts?
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#13
Posted: 10/15/07 at 11:12am
years and years ago I had ringworm on my arm. What I remember is getting a prescription, and then trying to find an all-night pharmacy, which in San Diego at that time was rare.
It was a cream....I don't remember taking a pil, but maybe I did.

I cannot believe you would use wiki for anything medical. At least you spoke with a pharmacist......your doctor will know exactly what to do
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Chita1933 Profile PhotoChita1933 Profile Photo
Chita1933
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ringworm?#14
Posted: 10/15/07 at 5:40pm
Google ringworm images.

Click on my profile and watch Chita Rivera "Put On A Happy Face"

TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#15
Posted: 10/15/07 at 7:31pm
I do that just for fun^^^^^^^^^^
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#16
Posted: 10/15/07 at 7:35pm
If it is ringworm, you should see a doctor. Lotrimin won't quite get it. Your doctor should give you something like Exelderm and maybe a few cortisone shots. In the mean time, try to keep that part of your skin away from your animals and your scalp. Try to keep the area away from moisture and heat.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#17
Posted: 10/15/07 at 7:39pm
re: ringworm?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ringworm?#18
Posted: 10/15/07 at 8:51pm
re: ringworm?

lyme tick?

Updated On: 10/15/07 at 08:51 PM
dfwtheatreguy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: ringworm?#19
Posted: 10/15/07 at 11:20pm
woo hoo! it aint ring worm, the doctor said it is a contact dermatitis rash from the truck we are using in "Nice People Dancing to Good Country Music" that we got from the junkyard on Saturday.

phew!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: ringworm?#20
Posted: 10/15/07 at 11:24pm
Anybody else suddenly reminded of sugar cookies at Christmas?