Page: 1

TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????

worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#1
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:53pm
I thought this would be an interesting thread. Now Batman is a very popular superhero for kids and kids go to the movies and get their parents to buy the toys and yada yada yada.

Now with the sequel to Batman Begins coming out next year with Heath Ledger playing a much darker version of The Joker than Jack Nicholson(according to Christian Bale) and with the photos of the character's look and Nolan not wanting a clownish version but a really scary looking Joker, will it be too scary for most kids? Heath Ledger actually said that when he was shown the look they came up with for the character that he felt it was going to scare kids.

I think it will and I think reflecting on quote that both Jack Nicholson and Daniel Radcliffe have said about kids and scary stuff is that kids love to be scared and that the worse you are, the more they like it, but I really hope that the character is what Nolan wants and is frightening and scary.

My other hope is that this doesn't have a backlash against it like Batman Returns did which I don't understand because I wsa a kid when I saw it and I loved it, but enough about me, what do YOU think?

A couple of pictures of Heath:

AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#2
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:13pm
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????

i think i saw him working in hot topic the other day.

but seriously though... i grew up watching batman cartoons on tv every saturday morning.
to me the joker can not look like anything besides this:
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????

i love the scary clowns... reminds me of ICP. but it's just not the joker.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 10:13 PM
rabymon10
Understudy
Understudy
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#2
Posted: 8/2/07 at 12:39am
My contribution is this:

This particular franchise of Batman as directed by Nolan is not intended for children, and the rating that it will most likely recieve will also dictate that. If parentals have a problem with it, they need to reconsider whether or not they should be letting a child view content that is deemed inappropiate for their age.

I'm looking forward to TDK, and love the direction Nolan is taking these films. I say bring on scary Joker, it's just another interpretation of the character brought to life. Damned if there be a single child in the cinema to ruin the experience for me.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#3
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:38am
Clowns scare me in general, and it's all Steven King's fault. But, I love Heath Ledger so I plan on seeing this movie anyway and I'm pretty sure kids will go to see the movie anyway too, because it's Batman and if they're scared then it's their fault. Movies have ratings for a reason.
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 02:38 AM
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#4
Posted: 8/2/07 at 6:32am
Who wants kids in the theater anyway?

They can stay home.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photosweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#5
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:41am
Yea, clowns scare the hell outta me too now. (interesting since I loved the circus as a child). But I always envisioned The Joker as scary and completely off-kilter, so I look forward to a Joker that might just make me dangerously close to peeing myself and give me a nightmare or two.
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#6
Posted: 8/2/07 at 11:25am
The Joker should be threatening. He is a psychopath and he is only truly a formidable nemesis for Batman if you believe that he is actually capable of hurting innocent people. Otherwise, he's just a plain old clown.
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 11:25 AM
worrell4077
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: TDK Joker-Too Scary For Kids??????#7
Posted: 8/2/07 at 12:39pm
"Who wants kids in the theater anyway?

They can stay home."

Damn straight. They ruin the movies like when I saw Transformers this one kid kept talking during the movie and then there was The Simpsons Movie and I think half way through I heard a kid say "Why did he do that?"

To me I think the best way to have The Joker is to have him be this guy who's completely insane and is feared by many except for Batman. It doesn't really matter because there will probably be alot of little kids in the theater when it comes out. I mean the Burton movies weren't for kids either, the only live action Batman movies that were really aimed at families were the Schumacher films and the Adam West movie.

You know this actually brings up a good point about society now a days. Kids today get exposed to alot of stuff that isn't exactly something they should see like violence, nudity, etc, but you know it's not as much The Joker that will scare kids as much as probably Two-Face.

The way they are describing Heath's Joker is that it's completely different and alot darker than Nicholson mostly in part to the fact that Heath was given The Killing Joke for inspiration. There is a rumor that after his truck does this whole big flip thing, he gets out and just starts shooting people.