Page: 1

White Christmas

DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
White Christmas#0
Posted: 12/6/03 at 3:29pm
I'm watching White Christmas as I type this--Imagine you might have to pay as much as $6.60 or (Gosh!) $8.80!!! to see a show like Wallace and Davis in NYC. Wow! To rich for my blood! LOL!

D
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: White Christmas#1
Posted: 12/6/03 at 3:49pm
Well,,Bah Humbug! It's white as my A$$ alright. It ain't Christmas and I'm pissed! Had to cancell plans in NY... Sitting here negotiating a contract (via phone duh!) in sunny Covina,CA. where I have to hear people splashing in a fric-n-frackin pool!

What a world!!!
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: White Christmas#2
Posted: 12/6/03 at 5:22pm
Well I don't know about that but I'm still watching the show and I have to say how much I LOVE the clothes the ladies are wearing. I think those skirts are so lovely.

And the WAC's who danced in slacks--dancing cheek to cheek and pants to pants. You younger gals and guys may not pick up on that--women didn't really wear pants before the war.

TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: White Christmas#3
Posted: 12/6/03 at 9:15pm
Oh you poor thing re: re: re: White Christmas Stuck in Sunny California while I'm here breaking my back shoveling. You hear splashing...I hear snow blowers, salt trucks, and annoying neighbor kids having snowball fights...and then complaining that they got hit in the face.
I do love the Holiday season re: re: re: White Christmas lol
Oh well, the snow was a good excuse to stay home and decorate for Christmas. I just wish it happened on a weekend when I had more money so I could have gone to see a show tonight with all of the cancelations they must have gotten.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
PB ENT. Profile PhotoPB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: White Christmas#4
Posted: 12/6/03 at 11:44pm
Theaterbaby~ you misunderstood LOL! I said I was negotiating a contract with someone in CA (via phone)...I'm in freezin-fric-n-frackin- snow covered- stinkin- cold- New Jersey"! I'm hearing people splashing in sunny CA over the phone!! Tell me that's not worth saying "Bah! Humbug!". If this deal doesn't come through, people will have more to worry about than the ghost of Chr1stmas past!
www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: White Christmas#5
Posted: 12/9/03 at 12:54am
Okay, I grew UP on White Christmas. It is by far, absolutely my favorite movie of ALL time.

Vera-Ellen's dancing is beyond perfection. Rosemary's voice is so soooooothing. Bing... and Rosemary. DANNY! Danny and V-E. God, I could watch this movie over and over and over and over and over again and NEVER get sick of it.

Does anyone have the DVD? The commentary Rosemary did was great... though it was SUPER pro-Bing and I didn't like the lack of mention of V-E (though she was mysterious to the world of Hollywood... or... just the world).

The costumes are SO beautiful... and I love the army sequence. "Theeeeere's a lot to be said for the army..."

Ah, yes. Women didn't wear slacks very often... unless they were Katharine Hepburn. THOUGH, I do have quite a few pics of Ginger wearing pants during rehearsals... but Ginger was always quite unconventional... you'd want to be comfy too rehearsing all those dance numbers with Fred... the dude would NOT settle for anything less than perfection. They sometimes spent days filming a specific dance number. Over and over and over. I'm sure the producers LOVED him... time is money, no? re: re: re: re: re: White Christmas ...and Katharine was always very liberal. re: re: re: re: re: White Christmas

You're right, though... the costumes are UNBELIEVABLE in White Christmas... the whole movie is just so nostalgic! I would LOVE to possess Rosemary's perkiwinkle dress in the scene before "Sisters"... or the fans from "Sisters"! And her gown in "Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me". Or the two at the end.

My all-time favorite scenes in that movie are "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" and "Mandy". I used to watch those scenes OVER and OVER when I was a baby and try to mimick Vera-Ellen's choreography. Gooood, I can't express how much I love this movie.

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: White Christmas#6
Posted: 12/9/03 at 9:19am
Vera-Ellen is sadly forgotten by most, but she's an extraordinary dancer. She expresses so much joy in her dance.

I do think she looked her best in the 1940s. By the time she made WHITE CHRISTMAS and CALL ME MADAM, one can see the beginning of her anorexia that eventually killed her.

"Mandy" is one of the most bizarre numbers in film. It's a minstrel number with an all white cast (had the film been made 15 years before, everyone would be in blackface like that jaw-dropping "Abraham" number in HOLIDAY INN) The only 'black' things in it are the Aunt Jemima tambourines.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, V-E looked her best in the 40's... but anorexia isn't what killed her -- she died of cancer. Granted, if she had been healthier, she would have had a better chance of fighting it off, but such is life.

I *love* Mandy... actually, I love all the dance numbers, really... "Choreography" and "Abraham" are great too. *sigh* I seriously can't get enough of this movie.
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin