O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever

newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#0
Posted: 11/20/03 at 2:53pm
I thought it would be fun to talk about our worst ever jobs. Whats the suckiest one you have had in or out of theatre?
WillParker
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#1
Posted: 11/20/03 at 2:55pm
The job that I currently have...friggin customer service rep. Who wouldn't love getting yelled at over the phone for 8 hours a day?
"I'll eat some breakfast then change the world." "I hate you, and I hate your ass face!"
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#2
Posted: 11/20/03 at 3:45pm
ha...the job I have now sucks and pays crap, but I think the worst goes to working in a movie theatre when i was 15 and having to work the monstorous popping machine.
Kitzarina Profile PhotoKitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#3
Posted: 11/20/03 at 3:48pm
Job I had last summer--lifeguard at an inner-city public pool. Eight hours a day of pure hell, and the pay sucked too.
"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#4
Posted: 11/20/03 at 3:52pm
Anybody ever do childrens theatre for Fran and Barry?
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
JKB2 Profile PhotoJKB2 Profile Photo
JKB2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#5
Posted: 11/20/03 at 10:26pm
Oddly enough, I can't remember a worst job. But the *weirdest* job was being a personal assistant for a very fat blind man in a motorized wheelchair. Every morning I'd ride my moped over to his place and he'd come out in his wheelchair and follow the sound of my moped to get to campus (he was a law student). Once on campus, I'd watch for a moment as he went barreling off down the sidewalk at about 12 MPH, a 350-lb blind man in this massive wheelchair, swinging his cane in front of him to clear the way. People would be diving out of his way as if a tornado was coming. At about six in the evening I'd come back with the moped to collect him again. *g*
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think i just peed myself laughing
A_Boy_From_Oz Profile PhotoA_Boy_From_Oz Profile Photo
A_Boy_From_Oz
Stand-by
Stand-by
Nothing is more suckier than being a telemarketer. I'll never do that again.
Alex the Cat Profile PhotoAlex the Cat Profile Photo
Alex the Cat
Understudy
Understudy
re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#8
Posted: 11/20/03 at 10:33pm
Yuck, Customer Service is the worst... I did that for 4 years... I used to be a nice person before that!

My current job in IT for a huge blood-sucking corporation is actually even worse, although the money is better... I gave up any semblance of a life so I could work 80 hours a week (don't do that any more though)... and the ax is swinging over my head, closer and closer with each passing year. The only thing that keeps me going is that it provides $ for me to do what I love, which is going to NY to see shows, eat good food, etc. How pathetic is that, eh?
Understudy
Understudy
As I've said before, Mr. Parker, just tell the crazy old bats who call you to complain "I hate you and I hate your ass face!"

Works like a charm.
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
just be lucky you have a job to hate. "i voted for george bush and all's i got was this lousy t-shirt..." re: re: re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever
XING
PED
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Aww RobbO re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever That's sad.
I voted for Al Gore and I got called for Jury Duty. Stupid me for voting.

I worked in a Wendy's when I was 17. The uniform was ugly and uncomfortable, I always smelled of Burgers when I left, and I once made the Frosty Machine break and cause frosty mix to go all over the floor. It also hurt my feet to stand there all day. And here's a tip: don't piss off fast food people because they will spit in your food. I never did it, but I know people that have. This one guy used to spit in this woman's sandwhich whenever she came in because she was really mean and made one of the other employees cry.

They should make a Broadway Show about a fast Food Restaurant. Ahh, there, I was kidding with that suggestion; but at least now it's On Topic. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have a question.. teh person who has to put teh make up on Adam Pascal's ass for cabaret....

do you think they like that job??????
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
1. if they don't like the job of putting make-up on adam's bum, i'll do it.

2. that was just sarcasm, i did not really vote for bush (this one anyway...ahh, the misfortunate, ill-informed indiscretions of youth...although, c'mon dukakis?!? )
XING
PED
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have no intention of evey voting for the Shrub in Chief
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#15
Posted: 11/21/03 at 2:33pm
lol I didn't actually think you voted for him re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever though I did vote for Gore. Truthfully, I didn't want either one of them in office.

Heyyyy, maybe Arnold can run for President!
Speech:
I'de like to thank the citizens of America. America is the greatest country on earth. America means Freedom. America allows people like me to win by popularity votes. I love America...and Caleeforniya. re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever Oh wait, duh, he wasn't born in the USA. Darn re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever and I was looking foward to that race.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#16
Posted: 11/21/03 at 2:39pm
hell, one more earthquake and california will split from the rest of the continental US and arnie CAN BE the president of that new country...

caleefornyahhh, indeed
XING
PED
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#17
Posted: 11/21/03 at 2:45pm
(One assumes that the term 'teh' which appears consistently in some posts here, can be translated into conventional English as the article 'the'. Or is this a vocabulary word for "Dyslexics Untie!"?)
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#18
Posted: 11/21/03 at 2:54pm
sorry. re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever me get lazy re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#19
Posted: 11/21/03 at 3:07pm
I dnot konw waht yuo maen?
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
theaterbaby: chinese is such a lovely language. i love to see it in its written form... re: re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever
XING
PED
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL someone once told me that as long as you put the first and last letters of a word in their usual place, it doesn't matter what order the middle letters are in because people can still understand the word. It's completely annoying to read, but it is true.

I dndit eevn kown I culod saepk cinehes re: re: re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever Nwo I cna ptu a snoced lnaugae on my rseume. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever
TheBalladeer Profile PhotoTheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The worst job I ever had was working at "Petland" here in NYC, when I was 19 one summer during college. It really sucked! I had to clean Parakeet poop, turtle poop, hamster poop, rabbit poop, fish tanks, carry huge bags of Cat litter, and dog food up three flights of stairs, large fishtanks by myself, cater to an annoying Macaw parrot, deal with pissy, annoying customers, and work and sweat to death in 145 degree weather. It felt like a furnace in that store. Every week the air-conditioning would break.

Cheers,
The Balladeer
"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The worst job I ever had was....making toast. One of my first jobs was working in a resteraunt for the summer in Wildwood Crest, NJ. During breakfast it would be someone's job to make the toast. Unfortunately that someone would sometimes be me. I would have to stand in front of a huge toast machince for six hours. It would be incredibly hot and very easy to burn your fingers. Ahh how far I've come.
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: O/T Suckiest Jobs Ever#24
Posted: 11/21/03 at 3:59pm
I helped run a concession stand in a movie house. I had to deal with customers suffering from "sticker shock" from their purchases (Did you really need those $3.00 Nachos?), and being constantly exposed to the same movies over and over and over again.

That summer?

Night Hawks with Sylvester Stalone
Stripes with Bill Murray
The Legend of the Lone Ranger with "Whatever Happened to Him?"

Torture....sheer torture!

Remind me to tell you when the orange syrup exploded on the floor and we had to "ice skate" during the early evening rush.