Page: 1

i feel...

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i feel...#0
Posted: 9/23/04 at 5:28am
I feel like my posts on the board are no longer as witty, fun-filled and full of a thirst for knowledge all things Broadway anymore. I need help I want to go back to that. I need something to remind me of what made this board so great. I could ask questions and would get wonderful answers. I tried instituting my thirst for knowledge threads again, but they weren't getting many replies. I also feel like my threads I start aren'y nearly as good or important anymore. What is wrong with me? Have I just lost the touch? Or is it because I just don't have as much time to invest in the board anymore? It makes me sad to think I am not contributing as much as I feel I should...
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#1
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:21am
Honey. It's not you.

Do a search from last winter and find a thread that you felt good about. And then look at who was posting back then and how many of them aren't posting much, or at all, anymore. And therein lies your answer. Auggie, namo, MasterLcZ, AlDente, Jose.. and the list goes on and on....are just not around much anymore. You don't have to like them or agree with them, but they each added depth to the board. Sorry to say that the "hot or not" threads, the "vanity" threads (ie lets talk about ME...), the incessent "official appreciation threads", and the "what is your favorite ..." threads hold little interest for a lot of the deeper thinkers and wittier posters who seem to have moved on. And it's not the loss of any ONE poster that has made the difference....it's the combined effect.

I stll log on a couple times a day and look for something of interest, but lot of times there's nothing that catches my eye. I don't even feel compelled to "sneak a peak" at work any more. I've frequently opened a thread to read that looked promising, only to find that it has been hi-jacked and turned into a "vanity" discussion of someone's favorite body parts, or a small group reparteť that seems to be aimed at letting others know that they are "insiders" (and that the rest of us are not...).

You're right, son. There's not much happening....but it's not your fault. It's a group dynamic. And the plethora or multiple identities that come and go by the hour isn't helping, either. One has no idea to whom one is "talking" anymore. Many new identities show up but don't stay around long enough for anyone to get a sense of them.

And let's talk about the main board, too. It's as if the discussions are about the same five shows, over and over. I know that I don't even bother posting about half the things I go to see anymore because those threads disappear, rapidly, to obscurity. No one is interested. So I talk about things like that in email, to people who will give feedback. It's an oversimplification to say that the board is dominated by Wicked, Brooklyn and Bare...but that's how it feels.

People trash ATC all the time, and truth to be told, I rarely go there. But at least a wider variety of shows are discussed. When I want to get a sense of a less mainstream show, I'm more likely to find that someone else there has seen it and posted about it. I'm certainly not advocating that site because it has it's own problems and even now, I still prefer BWW and feel like this is where I belong. (I can't remember the last time I actually posted there...) But I, too, mourn the passing of what this message board....and especially the OT board....used to be.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#2
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:27am
Hey, we're trying!
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#3
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:34am
Oh, boy....I just read my post and realized that it could easily be interpreted as an insult to everyone who DOES still post. Not my intent at all. I'm bemoaning the loss of a dynamic that used to exist....and the absence of certain posters whose posts I immediately gravitated to because I knew they would be witty and most likely stir up discussion.

This was in no way, shape, or form meant to be an insult to the majority of 'newer' posters. Nor was it meant to be as pompous as it sounded. I'd revise the whole thing, but I'm already late for work....
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#4
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:36am
Peace man.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#5
Posted: 9/23/04 at 7:44am
Definitely not a bash on all the current posters.... we just miss our old favorites.
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#6
Posted: 9/23/04 at 10:38am
I wish I had known them. I'm aware my posts don't contribute much to things, and I wish I was "deeper" or something.
Real men are tenors.
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: i feel...#7
Posted: 9/23/04 at 11:05am
BroadwayMonkey...

From time to time, age has been an issue on the board. The adults get irritated with conversations that are more appropriate to chat or PMs occurring in endless threads. The "kids" get annoyed with the adults for being judgemental and conescending. It's kind of cyclic.

But you shouldn't ever feel that you aren't, or can't be, an asset to the board. And really, knowledge is gained over the long haul... so just be who you are, and don't feel bad about it.
The "problems" to which we are refering are multifaceted...and the state of affairs are the result of a complex dynamic. It's no ONE person or group's fault.

And all said and done, I still value having this place to come to online. And I, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, treasure some of the people I have met and friendships I have made because of it.

Who knows the missing may someday return...