Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...

JamieMcG Profile PhotoJamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...#0
Posted: 9/1/04 at 10:36pm

So I spent Sunday marching in protest of President George W Bush. I was afraid at first with so many people, that I may end up arrested, or caught in a situation where I might get hurt and tonight, watching Bill Maher, I realized why I still went. He said "You can't claim youre for peace unless youre willing to disturb it." So we disturbed it. Contrary to Fox News reports, which said there were just over 100,000 protesters, I saw 50 New York City blocks crammed end to end with people. That's a lot more than 100,000...Many estimated it to be closer to 600,000. It's amazing what a galvanizing experience it was to march together in a civil protest.

Not since 9/11, have I been able to look across a train car, smile at someone and recognize that we were part of a community. It's so sad that the actions of one man can empower a people to rally with such hate, such dissatisfaction. By creating a war that was not motivated by anything but political ties, W has also created an army of dissent. A very vocal and passionate group of people have been demonstrating all week. Whether it be against the war, against his lack of attention on AIDS issues, poverty or the world conscience, this man is hated by many.

His lack of ability to speak publicly aside...his lack of ability to use words that actually appear in a dictionary ("hispanically," "misunderestimate," "strategeries") aside...his lack of ability to find WMD's which he reported was certain, aside; this man is NOT a good President. I am ashamed to say someone with his lack of qualifications represents ME throughout The World. I cannot stand for it anymore. So I am pulling with all my might so that Kerry becomes President. I don't know that he will be the best President. I don't know that he is not corrupt in his own ways. I don't know that he was in Cambodia on Christmas Eve, or that his first Purple Heart came from a self-inflicted wound, or that he flip-flops on decisions in the Senate. But I do know my hope lies in him to repair the damage that George W Bush has done. Economically, the country goes up and down...I honestly don't feel that a President is going to make a difference. The system of checks and balances insures that no one person is going to destroy or repair our Nation's economy within a 4-8-year term. My most major concern is the Country's reputation throughout the World. On W's watch, we have gone into an unjust war. On W's watch, soldiers committed horrific attrocities in the Abu Ghraib prison. On W's watch, this country has become known as a Nation that is run by a madman, a criminal who allows such things to happen. On W's watch, this country has become known as a bully. On W's watch, we have completely disregarded what it is that we stand for. We are attacking people within and outside this country because of their beliefs. The very reason people came and settled in this country centuries ago.

I am voting for John Kerry and John Edwards in November. I feel comfortable knowing that an administration lead by these men will not try to write discrimination into this Country's most sacred document. I feel comfortable knowing that these men will not appoint new Supreme Court Justices that will vote to remove our freedoms. I feel comfortable knowing that these men will do their best to repair the worldwide relationships destroyed by the previous administration. I feel comfortable knowing that I will remain a free person, free to make my own decisions, free to speak out and question the government and free to be who I am under an administration lead by these men. And most importantly, I feel comfortable knowing that I won't be ashamed anymore to call myself an American when visiting a different country. I won't be ashamed to be represented around the World, by John Kerry and John Edwards.
"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...#1
Posted: 9/1/04 at 10:37pm
Well, then good for you!
Real men are tenors.
Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...#2
Posted: 9/1/04 at 10:43pm
Excellent, Jamie!! An articluate and well-thought position.
BlueWizard Profile PhotoBlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...#3
Posted: 9/1/04 at 11:45pm
Jamie, your post was wonderful. Thank you!
BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...#4
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:10am
And furthermore...did anyone hear Alan Keyes saying that I was selfish and a hedonist for being gay? What is this? The Dark Ages?

He's essentially claiming anyone who has sex for any other reason than procreation is a "sinner." So I suppose couples who are barren or sterile are also selfish and hedonists. And I suppose EVERY time he has had sexual relations has been to create a child. It's too bad he's never had oral sex...makes me sad for him.
"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jamie's take on the 2004 Election...#5
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:11am
Oh, Jamie, you can rest assured he's partaken of a few things. It's, as always, "Do what I say, not what I do."
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#6
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:21am
jamie, alan keyes is not of this earth. he's merely the only person who was willing to be the sacrificial lamb before that obama juggernaut. and it wasn't just you, jamie, i think he was really going just for mary cheney as he's never forgiven dick his pace on the ticket in '00. there will be medical revelations about mr. keyes, mark my words.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#7
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:30am
On W's watch, we have brought democracy to Iraq, formerly a nation with a dictator who killed innocent people and suppressed the rights of women and children.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#8
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:31am
There's a democracy in iraq?
That's funny 'cause it looks a lot more like a controlled police state with another country pulling the strings to me.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#9
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:35am
Jamie, I respect you. Not because of your political beliefs, but because you took the time to explain WHY and how you feel. Very well written.
CCM '10!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#10
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:35am
goth, even a rabid war monger like me has to admit that while we may have helped to put in place the foundations under which a democracy might eventually flourish in iraq, it's got a ways to go yet.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#11
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:38am
George W Bush manipulated the 9/11 support he received into a war he wanted to finish in his Father's name. The war in Afghanistan somehow melted into Iraq-It's been proven that there are no WMD's in Iraq. W Had NO reason to attack Iraq. There are a great number of attrocities that happen in China, in Taiwan, in several South American Countries. Rulers who murder their own people. Is W now going to begin declaring war on every country? W has killed thousands of Iraqi civilians-women, children included. Who's the terrorist now? Is everyone who commits these attrocities a terrorist? Or is it just the people who attack the US?
Albin Profile PhotoAlbin Profile Photo
Albin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#12
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:40am
I sleep better at night knowing that George Bush is commander-in-chief of our military, but I want to sleep better at night knowing that my legally-wedded husband is sleeping right beside me, so I have no choice but to vote for John Kerry.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#13
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:42am
Albin, where did you get the idea that John Kerry is for gay marriage?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Albin Profile PhotoAlbin Profile Photo
Albin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#14
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:47am
He's not, but at least he's not supporting a federal constitutional ammendment banning it.
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 10:47 AM
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#15
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:48am
John Kerry is not for gay marriage, he believes it should be up to the states. However, John Kerry immediately dismissed and fought the notion that this is something that should be written into the consitution. W feels that I am a second-class citizen, that I do not deserve the same privileges and protections as heterosexuals, just because I happen to be homosexual. W's amendment would have been the first since PROHIBITION to deny people's rights. And the first ever to write discrimination into the Constitution.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#16
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:55am
Knowing that one state can't sanction gay marriage which would be illegal in another state, do you think John Kerry believes it should be up to the states? That's a Kerry lie.
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#17
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:59am
Funny that Cheney believes the same thing. Does that make it a Cheney lie? Or is it only a lie if Kerry says it?

And beside the point...it's not a lie. It is our first step towards recognition in this country. If George W Bush had his way, that step would be impossible. (edit-sorry Papa)
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 10:59 AM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#18
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:01am
is there a plantation in the bush family tree? i thought they were eastern aristocracy.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#19
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:01am
Oh hush up, you selfish hedonist!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#20
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:02am
Albin... And what on God's green earth about 'Dubya' being Commander in Chief and in charge of the military makes you sleep better at night??? Because he's willing to sacrifice the lives of thousands of Americans (not to mention more than 10,000 innocent Iraqis) to fight an unjust and unwarrented war? This man is a living disgrace! He sat there for seven minutes with a dumb 'deer in the headlights' look on his face when this country was under attack! And it wasn't IRAQ that was attacking us! This idiot woundn't know how to wipe his own ass if he didn't have someone telling him how to! What an embarrasment! I say... It's time for a regime change right here at home! Please people... don't let this election get away from us! And don't think for a minute that it's a given that this fool will get voted out of office in November. Stay focused and VOTE!!!
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#21
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:04am
Let me give you another example. A few years ago, it was discovered that the state of Tennessee was giving driver's licenses to people who were illegal aliens. Four other states declared that they would not recognize the TN driver's license and if police stopped a car with that license they could be arrested for driving without a license. Is it a wise idea for gay marriage to be left up to the states?
JamieMcG
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#22
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:08am
We are not going to have gay marriage written into the US constitution anytime soon. And some states end up with "activist judges" that will see that it is right to grant people marriage licenses. For now, leaving it up to the states is a worthwhile solution. When Kerry becomes our next President, I can rest assured that I am not voting for a man that is going to take away my rights. I can't say the same about W.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#23
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:15am
If your lover has an accident in a non gay marriage state and has to go to the hospital, you have no rights in that state. Kerry will not be our next President and so gay activists need to rethink their strategy.
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: jamie's take on the 2004 election...#24
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:17am
Sadly I can't say the same about either one of them.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.