Page: 1

McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler

MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#0
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:40am
Does anyone else feel that the more McGreevey's gold-digging hustler blabs (Now its "I'm really straight, and he kept TOUCHING me, eeew!") the MORE sympathy McGreevey will get?

And a friend of mind was only half-kidding when she said to me: "The fact that the gold-digger is an Israeli is NOT good for the Jews."
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#1
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:45am
Oy!
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#2
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:46am
MasterLcZ - The fact that he's Israeli will only mean something to someone who already has that stereotype in their head, I think. And while it may deflect some of the attention away from the sordid gay angle the press is harping on - they will then focus on the corruption of his governorship in general. I'm most upset as to how the Republicans can spin this right now.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#3
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:53am
I think both of them are horrible. McGreevey offers this guy a $110,000 job that he's not experienced to do. And the residents of New Jersey are supposed to feel good about that?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#4
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:55am
There is SO MUCH about the whole story that can be exploited for people looking for something to exploit. It's all very unfortunate.

For me the problem begins with McGreevey's poor judgement involving Cipal, be it in choosing a lover or a homeland security advisor. The sexual preference angle isn't remotely the biggest concern here, although it's going to be used by the right, no doubt.

It's difficult to tell how much impact the "sympathy" angle will have...because I'm just not sure there aren't going to be some more nasty twists and turns that come to light.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#5
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:57am
I really thought this was the title of a long-forgotten Hardy Boys mystery.
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#6
Posted: 8/15/04 at 11:01am
DGrant, If the GOP wants to make an issue of McGreevey's homosexuality, then I think Barney Frank (or some Dem with balls) needs to publicly intimate if they don't lay off that aspect of his life (McGreevy's political sleaziness is fine fodder enough) that every high-ranking closeted GOP official (married or not) will be yanked out of THEIR little closets as well. Bring 'em on.
Updated On: 8/15/04 at 11:01 AM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#7
Posted: 8/15/04 at 11:02am
The poor judgement demonstrated by someone elected to the highest office in the state is the core of the problem, in my opinion.

The sexual orientations of both parties is of little consequence as compared to the choices both parties made. The problem they each face is that their choices are now exposed.

This is another example of thinking with the wrong head, regardless of which direction the head leans.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#8
Posted: 8/15/04 at 12:01pm
Everyone quick to put Mr.McG on a Sopranos float in next year's gay pride parade should read the full acount in the Times of the 20 days that lead to this ... "announcement." McGreevey strategized every step of the way, including consulting with gay advocacy groups (mistake, that--shame on the groups) as to how to word the statement. "...Gay American..." was concocted to give it a civil rights cause twist, and not to focus on liberation. This is insidideous, using true human rights issues many gay men literally fought for (how about some cries of "Remember Stonewall!") to cover up one's smarmy behavior. It's ever more apparent that the self-idenitification as gay -- I prefer the accuracy of that term in Ol Jim's case to "coming out," which is empowering and full of pride -- was a smokescren to camouflage the worst possible decision making by an elected official. This episode is shame based, and there's nothing in its roll out that helps the gay rights movement. Or Democrats. Or people of NJ.

On a lighter note, many of the details are worthy of Armistead Maupin novel. I loved reading that Mr. McGreevey's confidant is named "McQueeny." I kid you not, folks. It's right there in black and white--you could NOT make that up. And it's just too, too delicious to read the account of Mr. C,the "straight" object of gubinatorial desire, how Mr. McG "forcibly performed oral sex on him..." Oooooh, forcibly! Oh, Mary, get over it.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#9
Posted: 8/15/04 at 12:05pm
He gives greedy, money hungry, ladder climbing jews like myself a bad name.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
thirdrowcenter Profile Photothirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#10
Posted: 8/15/04 at 12:17pm
Why couldn't Cipel just go back home (to Israel) if he was being tortured. Was that not an option for him?
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#11
Posted: 8/15/04 at 12:19pm
Duh. They don't have good Chinese and they don't air THE NANNY over there.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#12
Posted: 8/15/04 at 12:23pm
Cipel can't go back to Israel because over there he can't make big money being an ex-lover ala Monica Lewinsky.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#13
Posted: 8/15/04 at 2:20pm
In response to Golan's clain that McGreevey "forcibly went down on him" against his will, leave it to those wacky kids at Datalounge to think of the best response:

"I've never had a guy forcibly go down on me. Am I hanging with the wrong crowds?"
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#14
Posted: 8/15/04 at 2:41pm
It struck me as a bit offensive for the writer(s) from TNYT to write: "...Mr. McGreevey then broke the news to his mother and his father, a former Marine drill instructor...."

[Emphasis added]

Com'on.

What did/does McGreevey pere's former career have to do with fils sexuality?

It struck me as something along the lines of, "Tsk Tsk Tsk. The son's gay and his father a former Marine, too. How embarrassing for Dad."

Updated On: 8/15/04 at 02:41 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#15
Posted: 8/15/04 at 2:48pm
Duh, Josť.

1) Marine drill instructor fathers are not particularly well known for their nurturing ways nor their tolerance to open homosexuality or sons who might be considered sissies primarily because...

2) ... of the culture of homosocial and sexual behavior that is well known in the United States Marine Corps. Not for nothing is it a well known fact that most Marines are big pushy bottoms.

That descriptive phrase that you found "offensive" (god only knows WHY?) actually may help illuminate the stage that was set for the man that McGreevey became.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#16
Posted: 8/15/04 at 2:50pm
I heart Namo. :)

Marines ARE pushy bottoms!!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#17
Posted: 8/15/04 at 2:58pm
I understood the point of the sentence, FN and JRB.

My read is that it was unnecessary and a bit, ah, old fashioned in its perspective.

But hey, my father was an MP.

Updated On: 8/15/04 at 02:58 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#18
Posted: 8/15/04 at 3:00pm
Ya know, getting married because you feel it is the "right thing to do" in spite of the fact that you have to deny who it is you really are is also "old fashioned in its perspective." And I am sure this "old fashioned" mentality was a complete expectation on the part of the Marine drill instructor father.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#19
Posted: 8/15/04 at 6:33pm
Wasn't "Mr. McQueen" the character in Urinetown who was Cladwell's assistant, and looked and sounded like Rudy Guiliani?
Poppy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#20
Posted: 8/16/04 at 9:56am
Now the bastard is saying he is not gay and was continually harrassed by the Govenor. If that's the truth why didn't he take his ass out the State? There's the old sterotype again that too many people enjoy believing...gay men prey on little boys and straight men. Give me a break!!
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#21
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:38pm
Straight Men? WHERE?
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: McGreevey and the gold-digging hustler#22
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:43pm
Didn't the two of them meet in Israel? The man wasn't employed by McGreevey then, so it's not like McGreevey had power over him.

I'm not completely discounting this guy's version of events, but it really doesn't make sense to me. Nobody forced the guy to take that juicy political appointment, either.

Really, neither side looks too good in this.