Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11

Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#0
Posted: 7/6/04 at 11:12pm
I will admit freely that I know virtually nothing about current mainstream American 'music.' The sum total of my awareness of Ms. Spears was catching about 5 seconds of video of her performing that "Oops" song. So, for those of you who have seen Mr. Moore's rant, and would have some awareness of her, here's my question: Is she really that vacuously vapid, or was that just a really, really, REALLY unfortunate clip? I can't say I laughed much through the film, as I don't find any of these people or the situation they've created to be funny (compounded by my frustration at the missed opportunity for intellectual discourse due to Mr. Moore's ineptitude) - but I had to laugh out loud at the sight of that little girl - and then frown a bit at the thought of her standing as some sort of ideal and example of success.
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#1
Posted: 7/6/04 at 11:18pm
IT's hysterical. I am sorry but she is such a dreadful role-model for the youth who actually listen to her. I mean if she weren't white trash enough (love the trucker hats .... and ps are your shorts supposed to be so short that the pockets hang out, or was that an oversight) she is also completely uninformed. And now shes getting married to a guy shes known for like 2 months. Wow. I'm impressed.
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 11:18 PM
BWayBoy88
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#2
Posted: 7/6/04 at 11:56pm
That was a really funny part. She is a really horrible role model.
Sunfish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#3
Posted: 7/7/04 at 1:08am
DGrant, there had to be SOME humor in the film, or we all would have been slashing our wrists upon leaving the theater. And the subject is this astounding combination of idiocy and yet of the direst danger to the country and the world.

Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#4
Posted: 7/7/04 at 9:36am
Britney is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, that's for sure, but there are certainly worse role models around. I won't get into that here. But Moore used her to get what he wanted - people love to talk about Britney, and people LOVE to talk badly about Britney. It's overdone.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#5
Posted: 7/7/04 at 9:41am
People love to talk bad about Britney because she keeps giving them stuff to talk about. The whole "I don't care what people think" statement she made about her engagement to the dancer she's known for 15 seconds who left his 8 months pregnant girlfriend for her was truly jaw dropping.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#6
Posted: 7/7/04 at 9:43am
Yes but we realize there are plenty of others who do things just as stupid and worse - for some reason, she gets the brunt. That was my point. And we can sit around and discourse about him leaving his pregnant g/f for weeks - Billy Crudup did the same thing - however, we don't know the real story.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 09:43 AM
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#7
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:26am
Okay - if this is true, I take it all back - reports today are that Britney is refusing her parents' advice to get a prenup - that she bought her own engagement ring - that the fiance is on her payroll since he has no money/job...she IS the stupidest woman in America!! Dayum.
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 10:26 AM
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#8
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:34am
Who cares! I love Britney she's doing exactly what she needs to take make people talk about her like this!!! lol And no one ever signed her up to be a role model. If twelve year olds look up to her it's the parents fault not hers.
Karma76 Profile PhotoKarma76 Profile Photo
Karma76
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#9
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:37am
I think billy crudup is a HUGE piece of ****ake!!! People know and do think that too! BUT he does not dicuss it or flaunt that stuff too too much. BUT majority of the public thinks he is a jerk.

Now Britney....I love her as a performer, I do. BUT she is a mess right now...MESS! all you have to do is read the people article to get sickened by how not a clue she has anymore. I loved F 9/11 and found it quite funny at times just because you sit there in awe at some statements that people actually make. Hers was one of them. I do not think it was a dig on her but how clueless people, especially young stars are sometimes about current events or forming an educated opinion.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#10
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:41am
Yes, I think Britney's education was not paid a lot of attention when she was a working actor/singer (and she became professional at what, 10?). And since she became a star, it seems pretty obvious that she is very insulated and probably does not see much of what's going on outside of her. So I certainly wouldn't be expecting brilliant dialogue about world events. And for the record, I find her to be very entertaining onstage. She puts on a helluva show. And this is coming from a 41 year old classically trained singer (with an open mind).
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 10:41 AM
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#11
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:46am
I too put Billy Crudup in my death boat for his ill timed leaving of Mary Louise Parker for the 12 year old Claire Danes. Really wasn't the classiest thing he's ever done and that brings me to what Britney seriously lacks: class.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
bstndiva Profile Photobstndiva Profile Photo
bstndiva
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#12
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:48am
I took my daughter to a Britney concert once and I also thought she put on a good show. She is very entertaining. You can't say much about her intelligence unless you know her. It may be an act. Sometimes the smartest thing a girl can do to get ahead in life is to play dumb. Especially when she is pretty.
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#13
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:49am
Rathnait62 - I understand she has a fairly serious dance background, but I also read - everywhere - that she really doesn't sing at her concerts. Is this true?
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#14
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:52am
Believe me, I can barely WALK and sing. I can't imagine most of those performers that dance AND sing at the same time are not lip-synching at least some of the time. Again, she gets the brunt, but she's hardly the only one doing it. If Madonna and Janet are singing all the songs at their concerts, I'll eat my hat.
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 10:52 AM
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#15
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:54am
It's absolutely true. You only have to see a clip of her performing live to know that she is lip synching. To the album, no less. At least when some other artists lip synch, they will re-record the song in a live mix first. A friend of mine saw the Onyx Hotel tour and was telling me how, after performing Toxic and Boys, she stopped to talk to the audience and was so out of breath she could barely say "Hello London". So she sure was not singing live.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#16
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:55am
As long as I have the memories - and, thank goodness, many times the video representations - of people like Liza, Bette, Shirley, Sammy and Judy (just to name a VERY few,) I'll have no sympathy for performers who think singing and dancing is too difficult.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#17
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:57am
Those singers took dance breaks during songs...Britney, Madonna, Janet and the other pop singers do heavy energetic dancing WHILE they are "singing." It's a different thing altogether. And I've seen Liza many many times in concert and no one loves her as a performer more than I do - but talk about a mess...
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 10:57 AM
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#18
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:57am
Then eat it, Rathnait. Madonna may sing over her own vocal now and again (at least she did on the Drowned World tour) but the full on lip synching for her is a thing of the past. It's not a case of everyone is doing it and Britney gets picked on at all. With the proper training it is very possible to dance and sing at the same time. Justin Timberlake certainly manages it. As does Christina Aguilera. The reason Britney gets singled out is she does it ALL THE TIME.

And watch the end of The Girlie Show Live Down Under. Madonna is running around the stage whilst singing Everybody. Yes, running. And singing. Not lip synching.
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 10:57 AM
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#19
Posted: 7/7/04 at 10:59am
Christina does not dance like Britney - she's more a straight singer. And Justin is a male - it's a whole different thing. I think most of the boy bands do sing live and dance at the same time. Their physiology is different.

And good for Madonna - but she's been doing it for many many more years - and is just now learning how to do both at the same time.
Updated On: 7/7/04 at 10:59 AM
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#20
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:06am
There is no defense for her never singing live. None.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#21
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:12am
Then I'll stop defending her. I'm certainly not as passionate about this subject as you seem to be, popcultureboy.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#22
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:13am
I must admit to some confusion born of ignorance here - while I certainly understand that males and females have different physiologies, how does that impact the ability to sing and dance at the same time?
Jack42 Profile PhotoJack42 Profile Photo
Jack42
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#23
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:13am
"And no one ever signed her up to be a role model. If twelve year olds look up to her it's the parents fault not hers. " - NYU

One doesn't sign up to be a role model. They become role models because of the position they are in. Your comment is pretty ludicrous. It's the parent's fault their children look up to Britney?

Do YOUR parents know and control YOUR every thought NewYorkUnique?
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity -- Harlan Ellison.
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Britney in Fahrenheit 9/11#24
Posted: 7/7/04 at 11:15am
I don't know the exact science, DGrant, but it does seem to have an effect on pop singers. On Broadway it seems different - Noah Racey, for one, although I love him, seems to have a lot of trouble dancing and singing at the same time.