De-lovely

JoizeyActor Profile PhotoJoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
De-lovely#0
Posted: 6/27/04 at 10:03pm
Is De-Lovely going to be released nationwide, or is it one of those 'select theatres' movies? I really hope it comes to all the theatres, because I really really REALLY want to see this movie. It looks so excellent and the music talents they got for the story are wonderful.

Anyone know about that limited release?
Dolly_Levi Profile PhotoDolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#1
Posted: 7/2/04 at 11:44pm
I look forward to hearing reviews from any and all that see this film opening nationwide today ...

???
Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing
chasing_rainbows43
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: De-lovely#2
Posted: 7/3/04 at 12:19am
Limited release. Looks like it's only at one house in Manhattan, too. Luckily, it's right near work for me.
Not playing at all on Long Island though...very disappointing.
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#3
Posted: 7/3/04 at 12:22am
Going on Monday. I will let you know.
I love Kevin Klein.
re: De-lovely
Updated On: 7/3/04 at 12:22 AM
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#4
Posted: 7/3/04 at 8:42am
review have been universally bad. Acting is commended but the script & the direction are a complete mishmosh. SO sad. I love Porter's music too.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#5
Posted: 7/3/04 at 9:49pm
I recently saw the old Cole Porter bio with Cary Grant. Sad to say, De Lovely got very bad reviews. I also love Kevin Kline. Go see it anyway!!!!!!!!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
TheQuibbler Profile PhotoTheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#6
Posted: 7/3/04 at 10:58pm
I'd really like to see this!
TheQuibbler
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#7
Posted: 7/3/04 at 11:01pm
By the way, the reviews has been split. According to RottenTomatoes.com, 49% of critics liked it. The consensus is "Musical numbers save movie from cliches."
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#8
Posted: 7/4/04 at 11:41am
Roger Ebert liked it.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#9
Posted: 7/4/04 at 12:18pm
I am curious about this one.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: De-lovely#10
Posted: 7/4/04 at 12:32pm
Can't wait. I am lucky enough to live in an area with 2 really great "artsy" movie houses. So if the big theater doesn't get it one of them surely will. I too am a big Kevin Kline fan.
B
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The 2pm showing of DE-LOVELY at the Sony Lincoln Square was sold out. So I was shut out.

Could it be that there's an audience for adult films? Or, dare it say it, musicals with intelligent lyrics and sophisticated music?

Is it real turtle soup, or merely the mock?
TheQuibbler
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm usually on par with Ebert, so I'm really intrigued.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Could it be that there's an audience for adult films"

Jose, delete that before CATS comes back or you will regret posting it, belive me. The boy is crazy.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LOL.

CATS is getting a name for himself, and the name is not Nice.

sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Has anyone heard the recording? I'm waiting to hear frm someone who's heard it b4 I buy.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
POLisPOL Profile PhotoPOLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just bought the cd, and after hearing it for the first time, I like it...
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
Dolly_Levi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Still have not seen the movie yet, but did get the soundtrack.

The Sheryl Crow version of "Begin the Beguine" is strange to say the least. She sounds like she's singing an "alternate melody."

I liked Robbie Williams on "De-Lovely," and Natalie Cole (Every Time We Say Goodbye) and Diana Krall (Just One of those Things) are great as always.
Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to go see it, so I will post my review when I get back.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay, change of plans. It started storming again so I's not goin' anywhere. Is it real turtle soup, or merely the mock?
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
TxTwoStep Profile PhotoTxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ms. Cole will have to go a-ways to top the Annie Lennox version of "Ev'ry Time"...but i do like Natalie. And Ms. Cole.
Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Although Alanis Morrisette isn't the best singer on earth, I am ADDICTED to her singing 'Let's Do It'. I sing it all over the house and I watch the little Yahoo! Trailers of the movie all the time just to see it. It's so damn catchy. It has such cute lyrics, I think.

Is that song from a musical? I've never heard of it.

I ordered the soundtrack, too, but I'm still waiting for it to come. Can't wait. Then that song will never stop.
POLisPOL Profile PhotoPOLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm addicted to that song too!!!!!
you can find it in Anything goes (at least on the movie version)
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!
Updated On: 7/5/04 at 10:42 PM
JoizeyActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is it really? Ugh, I've never seen the actual show although I know what its about. That's okay, because my friend is in it this summer and I'll be going to see it in a few weeks anyway.

That song really isn't gender based, is it? I would love to sing that song. I'll have to research some sheet music for it.
Dolly_Levi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's Do (Let's Fall in Love) is not featured in the stage version of Anything Goes.

In 1928, Porter introduced his first Broadway show, "Paris." It featured "Let's Do It, Let's Fall In Love," which is now considered a timeless, sophisticated piece. and very fun to sing - even in the shower.
Updated On: 7/5/04 at 11:54 PM