Poor Spacey Poor Kevin

Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poor Spacey Poor Kevin#0
Posted: 4/26/04 at 1:16pm
Its one thing to get caught in the Park, its another thing to learn your own brother is writing a TELL ALL book.....claims Kevin's private life isnt his public life, claims he has photos, claims this & that

One other thing the brother did say was "....I want my 15 minutes of fame, & this will do it."

I think thats a shame....how low

ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Poor Spacey Poor Kevin#1
Posted: 4/26/04 at 1:20pm
Cite your source please.
I'm interested to know more.
Hamlet's father.
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Poor Spacey Poor Kevin#2
Posted: 4/26/04 at 1:25pm
My Boss had on Good Day at noon, and the Entertainment Reporter mentioned it. I know nothing else
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: poor spacey poor kevin#3
Posted: 4/26/04 at 3:38pm
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: poor spacey poor kevin#4
Posted: 4/26/04 at 3:44pm
Can pick your friends, cannot pick your family
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amen!
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wierdo#6
Posted: 4/27/04 at 7:36pm
who didnt already have the notion that kevin spacey was a "bit of a wierdo"?
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: wierdo#7
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:56pm
I don't find anything weird about him. He's just very...private.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
DAME Profile PhotoDAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: wierdo#8
Posted: 4/27/04 at 11:58pm
Whats wrong with being weird?
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: wierdo#9
Posted: 4/28/04 at 8:38am
So now "weird" is wrong? Oh great, just when I was mastering the art!
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: wierdo#10
Posted: 4/28/04 at 8:38am
It sounds to me like the brother is the weirdo. He's "been obsessive" about keeping track of Spacey for 25 years? He admits that he is doing this to help launch his own career and get his 15 miuntes of fame. Sounds a bit crazy to me.

If Kevin Spacey appears to be weird at all, it's probably because he is so private and tries to keep a low profile. I imagine this causes someone in his position to do things that may seem weird like walking a dog at four in the morning when nobody else is around to bother you.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
EddieVarley Profile PhotoEddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: wierdo#11
Posted: 4/28/04 at 8:43am
I agree orion, sounds like someone is taking mucho advantage.
Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#12
Posted: 4/28/04 at 12:48pm
Being "wierd" is one thing.

Being a lying closet-case is another.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 4/28/04 at 12:48 PM
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#13
Posted: 4/28/04 at 1:00pm
In order to really know if he is a lying closet case, one would have to have been in his bedroom, otherwise, it's speculation.

I honestly don't get the whole attitude around gay male celebs. If you are rumored to be gay and get married you are criticized for being closeted and trying to cover it up. If you are rumored to be gay, do not marry and try to keep your sexual orientation a non issue, you are accused of being closeted and weird becuase of the things you do to maintain privacy (as has happened with people like Spacey and Jodi Foster).

If you are openly gay and come out you risk being criticized for not being a good "role model" if you do anything taht is not considreed part of a exemplary gay life(as with Ellen degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell).

If you are a man and come out, you additinally face the rumors by vicious queens who claim to have seen you drunk and slutting it up in a dive in the Village or who know from a "reliable" source that you are freaky in bed and do all kinds of bizzare things (as has happened to Spacey, Nathan Lane and others).

Basically, if you are a celeb and are gay or belived to be gay, you can't possibly win.
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#14
Posted: 4/28/04 at 2:03pm
I believe Orion covered it all
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#15
Posted: 4/28/04 at 2:10pm
"If you are rumored to be gay, do not marry and try to keep your sexual orientation a non issue, you are accused of being closeted and weird becuase of the things you do to maintain privacy (as has happened with people like Spacey and Jodi Foster)."

"Privacy", my ass. Nice excuse to describe the closet.
Please show me celebrity heterosexuals who keep thier sexual orientation private so as to be a "non issue".

How has Ellen been criticized for not being a good role model? And Rosie WAS criticized for being closeted - now that she is out, many of her former critics (like Michael Musto) are happy to accept the fact that she has grown and are glad she's out. And I'm tickled for Ellen that her talk show is among her networks highest rated shows, and that posters of her smiling face can be found all over New York.

And the "vicious Queens" who spread those "rumors"...are you mean to say that vicious heterosexuals DON'T spread similar stories about Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, Courteney Love and other straight celebs? If you are a celeb, stories of your youthful (or present!) slut days are tabloid fodder regardless of your sexual orientation.

And one of my best male friends had an affair with Spacey twenty years ago when he was a struggling actor in New York.

I repeat - Kevin Spacey is a lying closet-case.
And Nathan Lane is more of a man than Spacey will EVER be.
Updated On: 4/28/04 at 02:10 PM
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#16
Posted: 4/28/04 at 2:18pm
While it would be healthier for Kevin to come out, I think its something HE SHOULD DO....not have his obviously pathetic brother, who is looking for 15 minutes of fame, do it for him

Surely you should save some well-chosen comments for the actions of the brother, he doesn't look like a winner, either

I have always thought Kevin should just get real, but he is the one who needs to do so
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#17
Posted: 4/28/04 at 2:23pm
Ruffian, if Kevin Spacey would come out, his grasping brothers book would be forgotten if it ever got published.
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lets hope Kevin realizes that as well. It would ruin his brother's big plans
Al Dente Profile PhotoAl Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It sounds like there's a bit of lunacy running in the family genes. They both sound nuts.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: wierdo#20
Posted: 4/28/04 at 2:46pm
"Privacy", my ass. Nice excuse to describe the closet.

No, there are many celebs, gay and straight,who like to keep their privatve lives private. Keeping your sexual orientation a non issue doesn't always mean being closeted. It means trying to be defined by the work you do instaed of who you date.

"you mean to say that vicious heterosexuals DON'T spread similar stories about Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson, Courteney Love and other straight celebs?"

Do you mean to say that two make a right? Beacuse teh media invades the lives of these people it's ok to do so for others? Nobody's personal business should be put out in a book by their family members or anyone else. Would any of us who are gay or have other secrets have wanted our siblings to out us before we were ready? In the case of Kevin Spacey we are not only talking about sexuality but, I gather from the story, his brother intends to reveal a number of different things. Of course, we have no way of knowing if it's true. Even if it were, it's nobody's business

As for my statements about rumors and expectations of celebs, I stick by my belief that we, the gay community, make it as difficult for gay celebs to come as anyone else does. We criticize those we belive to be gay and closted for not coming out. When they do come out we criticize them for not living up to a standard that we set for them as role models of the gay community.

As far as vicious rumors go, on just this board and the old BW.com message board, I have read stories oft 5 different male celebs who have been seen in bars in NYC drunk out of their minds and making unsolicited, vulgar passes at young men. And every gay man I know has a friend who has slept with some big celeb back when he was struggling actor and they can attest to his unbeliveable kinky and slutty behavior.

If we, as gay people, are unable to make celebs feel comforatble and safe coming out, then why would they? I'm talking now about the general public and not media correspondents like Michael Musto.
Updated On: 4/28/04 at 02:46 PM
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"No, there are many celebs, gay and straight,who like to keep their privatve lives private. Keeping your sexual orientation a non issue doesn't always mean being closeted. It means trying to be defined by the work you do instaed of who you date."

Orion, there is a great deal of difference between a celeb being quietly out and with a desire for privacy in his personal life (I can think of Victor Garber for one) with a celebrity making elaborate explinations as to how "they want to be defined by my work".
I cannot think of ANY heterosexual celebs who have made statements like that.

There are many gay actors and actresses that have been quietly out for years - decades even - and nobody cares and nobody makes a fuss. Daniel J. Travanti (of "Hill Street Blues") was out all through the 1970s, and though he never came right out and said "I'm Gay" he never pretended to be heterosexual either or boasted that "if I tell women I'm gay, they try to 'change me' - I let them." He was happiest being identified as a 'bachelor' having a very private life with a long-term partner - and good for him. And a few weeks ago, someone on the 'Alias' message boards asked whether Victor Garber was gay, and the overwhelming response was "He is. Who cares?" Increasingly and happily it has become a non-issue.

More and more people of all walks of life - not just actors and actresses - are coming out and earlier. And Spacey's very public game of peek-a-boo is fast becoming antiquated, though he's giving the British press a lot to play with of late.

As for the response of the so-called gay community - the person who has made the most fuss over Kevin Spacey's sexuality has been Kevin Spacey.

nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
spacey#22
Posted: 4/28/04 at 5:25pm
i dont really think that he would loose much of his fan base if he is gay, and if he did come out. but what if he isnt? how can any of us really know what his sexual orientation is? and not that i doubt your creditability, MasterLcz, but i have trouble with the "my friend had an affair with him" story. not that you care if i believe you or not, but there must be a lot of stories of this nature about a lot of celebs.
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: spacey#23
Posted: 4/28/04 at 5:33pm
I think the real fans would not care one way or another. I think he's a fine actor.
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: spacey#24
Posted: 4/28/04 at 5:43pm
Either you're contradicting yourself or I'm not following you. You said that to try to live quietly an not have sexuality be an issue is just an excuse to be closeted.

I think no matter how you look at it or how you feel about celebrities coming out, the fact is that it is not up to someone's brother or anyone else to make that decision. Like I pointed out, judging from the comments in that article, we are not going to be privy to only sexual rumors but any number of other "lies" perpetrated by Spacey. It's just plain and simply someone taking advantage once again of a famous realtive in order to get himself noticed. Anyone who takes an attitude that Spacey deserves to be outed because he is living a lie is wrong. People decide on their terms in their own time when and to whom they want to come out.

But then I've never bought into the whole gay militant attitude. I am who I am like it or not.