Page: 1

Yahoo news: Sudafed can be turned into meth!

Unreal!

Yahoo News:

Oklahoma Restricts Cold Pill Used for Illegal Drug

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040408/hl_nm/methamphetamine_cold_dc
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
While that's a new application for Sudafed, misuse of pseudoephedrine has been problematic for a long time. People frequently tend to think that any medication available over the counter is automatically benign. The drug in question can cause a dramatic rise in blood pressure. Pseudoephedrine and it's cousin, ephedra (of OTC diet pill infamy), have done tons of damage to people with existing hypertension, for instance, who either didn't bother to read the warnings on the box or else thought the warnings didn't apply to them. We are talking stroke city here, folks. And it's *not* that uncommon.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 4/8/04 at 05:11 PM
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Iflit, you have me a little concerned as someone who uses large amounts of otc drugs containing Pseudoephedrine for years. I think I'll talk to my doctor about that.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You can find perfectly acceptable alternatives that don't contain it.. A lot of meds will have one version with and another without (for example Coricidin and Coricidin-D....the "D" has it and the other one doesn't). If you don't have high blood pressure or another condition that would make you vulnerable (eg. kidney problems, an aneurysm), you're probably fine. I've had hypertension since my twenties, so I avoid it like the plague.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Everyone listen up and take Iflit's professional advice. OTC drug deaths are on the rise in this culture; we're asleep (or buzzed) at the swtich. I have had the just-on-the-borderline hyptertension for about 10 years, and use diet/exercise to control it, hoping to avoid drugs. Knock wood. I would never touch any of these OTC options merely to alleviate symptoms that are temporary, if uncomfortable. I fear we live in a society where immediate symptom-relief trumps long-range health care considerations. Sometimes, in the grip of hay fever or even just a bad cold, I opt for the most conservative approach possible (steam and chicken soup). Pharmaceuticals are mirculous, lifestyle-altering. But like most things in life, there is a trade-off. We need to take care of ourselves -- and our symptom relief -- but we need to look at the big picture health concerns and not just pop something to get us through a runny nose because it's inconvenient.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Easy to say, Auggie, if you've never suffered severe allergies. Some people, like myself, suffer daily symptoms worse than a runy nose. Stinging eyes, headaches, throat inflammation, etc. I'm all for homeopathic remedies but, chicken soup doesn't help when you've been sitting on a train next to a woman who just took a bath in perfume.
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just to put things in perspective, I'm not nearly as cautious as Auggie when it comes to medicine. In fact, some might argue that I'm fairly cavalier. So I don't think you need to be overly concerned, Orion....just check with your doctor next time you happen to be there....there might be something else he could order that is just as effective. I have allergies, and I live on Allegra for months at a time. So far, so good.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, Orion. You're right about quality of life concerns. (If I step back, I realize: Hasn't this turned into a bizarre thread? There's enough to worry about in the world without my getting on a soap box about OTC allergy relief! Jeesh.)
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You right to a degree, Auggie. There are people who too quickly rush out for medications that they may be able to do without. Some of us suffer severely without it and others use it as a means of getting attention or because they can't deal with a bit of discomfort.

For instance, I use medication for severe migrains. Sometimes they are so bad that I have actually lost my eyesight temporarily from the blinding pain and pressure. I know so many people who get stress headaches or sinus headaches and call tehm migrains. They take the same medication as me and are more than happy to tell everyone about their terrible headaches. One would think that over the past few years there has been an unbelievable epidemic of migrains effecting 8 out of 10 people.

A copuple of Tylenol would help most of these people but, they love the idea of a prescription medication for a "severe condition". In fact, some people I know use theirs about three times as much as I use mine.

Also there is the epidemic of acid reflux suddenly. Most of the people who take medication for that are just over eating or eating the wrong foods and getting simple heartburn.

These people make those of us with legitimate issues seem like we're just jumping on the bandwagon. In fact, when my doctor diagnosed me with a migraine condition I laughed and said "Is there really such a thing as migraines? I always thought it was just headaches being over dramatized."
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah, but *some* concern is valid. I work in the field of organ transplantation and I can't over-emphasize the fact that more than a few reasonably healthy individuals have something catastrophic happen in response to OTC meds (such as the now banned Ephedra which seemed particularly benign since health food stores were a primary outlet..."all natural weight loss product") on a regular basis and end up brain dead. Things that cause a spike in blood pressure can trigger a stroke or ruptured aneurysm in someone with an underlying predisposition. And unfortunately, most people don't know they are predisposed until something really bad happens.
Updated On: 4/9/04 at 10:37 AM
Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OTC meds can be awful. I see reports on it a lot, especially in areas where people can't find "real drugs". I know someone who dranka bottle of cough medicine and he said it was the worst thing he ever felt in this entire life.
On a personal note.....OTC sleep aids can be BAD NEWS. I found that out the hard way.....I'm kind of impatient so I would want to sleep immediately so I started taking Unisom which, like Sleepinal and Tylenol PM, contain diphenhydromine (sp?) as do 90% of OTC sleep aids. Soon enough I would be taking it every single night. Then I got a tolerence to it so I took the only other OTC sleep aid I knew that didn't have diphenhydromine, which is Unisom talbets which has (gel caps are different) doxylamine succinate. Soon enough, I got a tolerence to that. I finally just went to my doctor, told him what I had been doing and I needed to sleep because my body was just too tired. So I tried Ambien for awhile, but that didn't work either. So when he ran out of simple ways to he sent me to another doctor who concluded that I had insomnia and she put me on this other medication which (I think) is usually used for seizures or something like that but also for insomnia as well. And let me tell you...DAMN. It knocked me out entirely.
This medication is a last resort, but it did work. I try NOT to take it every night though...like tonight...it's 4am right now and I'm not tired at all. The point is that all those OTC messed me up in some way so I basically did it to myself.
Anyway, back to the issue, those OTC sleep aids are also taken by people who just really want to be sedated or something (like taking 6 Unisoms). I've even heard people say that it kind of make you feel as if you are on ecstasy, but not to the ssame degree or something.
Also, what people forget is that OTC sleep aids is that they are just that....sleep AIDS. They DO NOT make you fall asleep. My doctor actually explained it well.....the OTC sleep aids only strongly suggest the idea of sleep, it makes you VERY sleepy but sometimes it won't you to staying asleep. On the other hand, the medication I'm on now doesn't not suggest sleep, it outright demands it. One night on vacation, I took it and was laying around talking to some people and I fell asleep pratically mid-sentence. I mean it feels good to sleep but I hate having to take something to do so.
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."