Why, oh why, oh why-o? Why would you ever go to Ohio?

HEADLINE: "Ohio governor signs bill making state 38th to ban gay marriage"

Makes you want to run to Ohio, doesn't it?

Bulldog
CNN: Ohio Gay Marriage Ban
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good thing I am moving to NY. Our school newspaper is an open forum, so we can really publish anything we want. We seem to have a lot of homosexuality in the paper. Today we recieved a letter to the editor saying that the quality of our paper is degrading just like our society. He believes we should follow EVERYTHING the bible says. We decided to put that letter on a spread with the Gay Marriage article written by someone for it. re: Why, oh why, oh why-o?  Why would you ever go to Ohio? Isn't that just a dandy idea?
CCM '10!
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A friend of mine is a curator at the Cleveland Museum of Art. He has been looking for another job for awhile now, and I suspect he now he is especially anxious to leave.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol that newspaper story made me think of last night's episode of ER. Did anyone else watch it?
Dr.Romano had left money to the hospital in his will, so Dr.Weaver had them build a section for the gays, lesbians, transvestites, etc.. lol pretty damn funny considering he was such a gay basher.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Doesn't this ban have to do with gay state employees getting benefits, also?
CCM '10!
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yes, for their partners
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWG2 is correct however it also includes banning benefits for partners in heterosexual relationships.

Go figure.

Bulldog
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bulldog, I have a VERY odd feeling that they did that just to try to "disguise", behind a glass wall, the anti-gay sentiment... make it look more "fair".. go figure
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am just out of words for all of this crap. I feel like puking. It's just all BULLSH!T.
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I'm never gonna go back to Ohio.."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Perhaps all the gay & lesbian and partnered Ohioans (or whatever they're called)should stop spending any dollars in Ohio for several days. Let the state feel the economic effect.

Actually maybe there should be a country wide boycott of spending by gays/lesbians/partnered, etc. to make the point.

Marching on Washington be dammed. Just stop spending and political attitudes would change real quick.

I've never known anyone to refuse a $ because it was handed to them by someone who's lifestyle they do not condon.

Bulldog
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You bring up a very good point Bulldog. And imagine if that was done on a National level and not just in Ohio. I often think if the gay community could band together like the black community did during the civil rights movement we would see change happen much faster. So far that hasn't come close to happening. Maybe the president supporting a constitutional ammendment that would be the first to discriminate against a group of people will be the catalyst to get the gay community to band together.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As an Ohioan I put forth the usual phrase I use to describe my home state:

Ohio: Where Dreams Go To Die.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is is really the 38th state to do so?!
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
brdwaybaby17 Profile Photobrdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ok, this is pissing me off. Do not base all of your ideas of Ohio on our idiot of a governor Bob Taft. Yes, there are some parts that are extremely blue collar hicks who want to have nothing to do with African Americans or homosexuals, but guess what..... THE WHOLE STATE ISN'T LIKE THAT!! I live in Toledo. My sister and her partner live here as well and they are getting along fine. There are tons of groups for gays and lesbians, and it is a really accepting place. So stop picking on my state ya'll!! Keep it to Bob Taft. That I'll get in on.
Updated On: 2/8/04 at 09:13 PM
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ohio is not a bad place, but they are right.
CCM '10!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BTheater11: What do you mean,..."they are right"?

Bulldog
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A_Boy_From_Oz Profile PhotoA_Boy_From_Oz Profile Photo
A_Boy_From_Oz
Stand-by
Stand-by
Well unfotunetly I have had the pleasure of living in Ohio my whole life and have been trying to escape it for the past five years. I've lived in Toledo, Cincinnati and Youngstown and not one of those cities has anything to brag about. In high school I jokingly referred to Ohio as "The birthplace of planes, traffic lights and inbred humans." I'm hoping that when I graduate college in a year I'll be able to move to NY, NJ or CT and get out of this rut.
mebice Profile Photomebice Profile Photo
mebice
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I feel it....I unfortuantely live in Ohio. I was so sad to hear about this law. In fact...in my Journalism class we have to come up with a huge project. In light of this news, my project will be about this. Maybe I can interview you guys. Can't 2004 elections be here yet?
"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually yes, I would rather live in Jersey.
CCM '10!
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's nothing inherently wrong with Ohio. Like anywhere else, it's all about what community you are part of. I lived in Ohio for 20 years. There's an awful lot to like out there. Unfortunately, the Taft administration is problematic, and really needs to go. But there are liberal and artistic enclaves to be found.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Toledo does have the highest murder rate per capita of any city in the country. That's something else to note!
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"[t]oledo does have the highest murder rate per capita of any city in the country."

hmmm, when i lived in youngstown it used to be ol' y-town. i move away and the murder rate goes down...coincidence? thangs that make ya go hmmm.

but alas, wrong. the captial is washington, dc with 45.82 murders per 100,000 people (or capita) and second is detroit with 42.04 per capita. that's as of june 2003, unless you've got newer figures.

and thanks to my old homeys, y-town is still in the top 10, but toledo's down in the 100's somewhere.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 2/11/04 at 07:40 PM