Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

2
Page: 2



A Candid Conversation With Broadway League President Charlotte St. Martin: Future for Broadway.. what will it be like?- Page 2

IAMREADING
Understudy
joined:12/15/15
Understudy
joined:
12/15/15

zainmax said: "BdwayLife said: "

It also indicated that several shows are using advances to pay for expenses during this time period. I find this a bit confusing, as I thought I read on another board that ticketing agencies (e.g., Ticketmaster) don’trelease funds to productions until the actual performance date?

"


Also curious about this! I hope shows aren't able to spend the money they have already received for June performances that likely (definitely?) won't be happening.

Tom5
Broadway Star
joined:9/23/11
Broadway Star
joined:
9/23/11

What I've said. When Actors Equity says it's safe for their actors on stage (and off) then audiences might feel safe in their seats. But that shouldn't happen for a long  time. One caveat. I am assuming Actors Equity is an honest and non-corruptible union and cares to take full responsibility for their actors health and welfare

Updated On: 4/19/20 at 11:29 AM
Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
Broadway Legend
joined:3/2/10
Broadway Legend
joined:
3/2/10

IAMREADING said: "zainmax said: "BdwayLife said: "

It also indicated that several shows are using advances to pay for expenses during this time period. I find this a bit confusing, as I thought I read on another board that ticketing agencies (e.g., Ticketmaster) don’trelease funds to productions until the actual performance date?

"


Also curious about this! I hope shows aren't able to spend the money they have already received for June performances that likely (definitely?) won't be happening.
"

 

When BWAY reopens it won't happen till at least this fall...no way by June and when June comes around I believe an announcement will then be made that BWAY plans to reopen after Labor DAY ~ LET'S HOPE!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
DAME
Broadway Legend
joined:4/15/04
Broadway Legend
joined:
4/15/04

Robbie2 said: "IAMREADING said: "zainmax said: "BdwayLife said: "

It also indicated that several shows are using advances to pay for expenses during this time period. I find this a bit confusing, as I thought I read on another board that ticketing agencies (e.g., Ticketmaster) don’trelease funds to productions until the actual performance date?

"


Also curious about this! I hope shows aren't able to spend the money they have already received for June performances that likely (definitely?) won't be happening.
"



When BWAY reopens it won't happen till at least this fall...no way by June and when June comes around I believe an announcement will then be made that BWAY plans to reopen after Labor DAY ~ LET'S HOPE!
"

It will be February or March 2021.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Theater'sBestFriend
Featured Actor
joined:3/5/13
Featured Actor
joined:
3/5/13

kdogg36 said: 

  • "Theater'sBestFriend said: 'Now imagine everyone with antibodies was found to be immune and had a green code on their phone saying they're immune, like in China. Imagine that was required to attend the theater....'  
  • Under this scenario, would those who have never contracted the virus - perhaps because they’d followed all safety guidelines - have less freedom to live normal lives than those who had been infected and recovered? That would seem weird, and could potentially create some perverse incentives."

It's neither weird nor perverse! Consider: If antibodies are shown to confer immunity, why would anyone who doesn't have them (pending the vaccine or effective therapeutics) venture into a public space, possibly placing themselves and others at risk? Why would they prevent actors, stagehands, audience members etc. who can safely get Broadway working again in a gradual, step-wise way from doing so?

Healthcare workers have to prove they have antibodies to seasonal flu and are free from TB before they enter the workplace. Schoolchildren have to show immunity to measles, mumps and rubella before attending school. In epidemics, airline passengers are routinely screened for fever before they can fly.

This is no different. Otherwise, we might needlessly keep Broadway shut down forever because some sliver of the population isn't 100% immune. That might not happen for years, if ever. Not letting those who can safely re-start the theater do so would be illogical and selfish. That is what would be weird and perverse.

 

Updated On: 4/19/20 at 05:34 PM
Andy51 Profile Photo
Andy51
Featured Actor
joined:8/15/16
Featured Actor
joined:
8/15/16

Theater'sBestFriend said:

It's neither weird nor perverse! Consider:If antibodies are shown to confer immunity, why would anyone who doesn'thave them (pending the vaccine or effective therapeutics) ventureinto a public space, possibly placing themselves and others at risk? Why would theyprevent actors, stagehands, audience members etc. whocan safelyget Broadway workingagainin a gradual,step-wise way from doing so?

I think the "perverse incentive" kdogg36 is likely referring to is the potential incentive one might have to become infected so that one becomes immune and gets access to things one otherwise would not.  This concern has been raised in the context of "immunity passports" for going back to work.  Of course, the incentive to achieve immunity this way is much greater when one's livelihood is at stake than when one is seeking access to aesthetic pleasures.

 

 

 

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 06:10 PM
Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
Broadway Star
joined:8/30/08
Broadway Star
joined:
8/30/08

Just throwing it out there... not for Broadway, but for more suburban, rural and car-dependent regions... could drive-in theatre be one option, in the warmer months and once it's considered safe for there to be gatherings of people in the 20-50 range again (for the cast, crew, etc)? It's an odd thought, but drive-in church services have already been happening, and movie drive-ins are seeing a resurgence. In these strange times, who knows.

Theater'sBestFriend
Featured Actor
joined:3/5/13
Featured Actor
joined:
3/5/13

Andy51 said: "I think the "perverse incentive" kdogg36 is likelyreferring to is the potential incentive one might have to become infected so that one becomes immune and gets access to things one otherwise would not. This concern has been raised in the context of "immunity passports" for going back to work. Of course, the incentive to achieve immunity this wayis much greater when one's livelihood is at stake than when one is seekingaccess to aesthetic pleasures.”

This is the Swedish approach - just let everyone get it, let some folks die, develop herd immunity among survivors. They’ve had much higher mortality than countries following social distancing. 

In a free society, if an individual chooses to take a chance and purposely get sick to acquire immune status I guess they might argue that’s their right.  The question is does Broadway have to give up a gradual stepwise resumption of business to protect such individuals from having that incentive. The impact on those who can resume working seems unfair. 

As an alternative, maybe we could provide government assistance to those who remain temporarily unemployed so they don’t need to get sick on purpose. I believe the Democrats are demanding CARES Act funding updates include local state and healthcare suppport. No reason Cuomo and DiBlasio can’t help NY theater get that help for our theater community. Broadway is a main engine of the NY arts and tourism economy. 

Tell Schumer and Gillibrand we want this and are watching. Demand Trump and McConnell support folks in blue states, not just big banks and Boeing. They represent all of us. A pandemic is no time for divisive politics. Actors and stagehands shouldn’t have to get sick on purpose so Broadway can survive and come back safely.

Demand testing, facts, science, reason, social cohesion and human decency for all. Blue states and red. Fight the dividers. Act Up!


"

 

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 09:28 AM
BdwayLife
Stand-by
joined:8/29/15
Stand-by
joined:
8/29/15

DAME said: "Robbie2 said: "IAMREADING said: "zainmax said: "BdwayLife said: "

It also indicated that several shows are using advances to pay for expenses during this time period. I find this a bit confusing, as I thought I read on another board that ticketing agencies (e.g., Ticketmaster) don’trelease funds to productions until the actual performance date?

"


Also curious about this! I hope shows aren't able to spend the money they have already received for June performances that likely (definitely?) won't be happening.
"



When BWAY reopens it won't happen till at least this fall...no way by June and when June comes around I believe an announcement will then be made that BWAY plans to reopen after Labor DAY ~ LET'S HOPE!
"

It will be February or March 2021."

 

Hi Robbie and Dame. My question was in response to the interview in terms of  advances being used to cover costs. I am seeking clarification as to when productions actually receive ticket sale funds.  I, and I think most people on here know that shows are not opening this June! Thanks.

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 01:32 PM

2