Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Profile for Andy51

Andy51 Profile Photo
Member Name: Andy51
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

A Candid Conversation With Broadway League President Charlotte St. Martin: Future for Broadway.. what will it be like?  Apr 19 2020, 06:10:48 PM

Theater'sBestFriend said:

It's neither weird nor perverse! Consider:If antibodies are shown to confer immunity, why would anyone who doesn'thave them (pending the vaccine or effective therapeutics) ventureinto a public space, possibly placing themselves and others at risk? Why would theyprevent actors, stagehands, audience members etc. whocan safelyget Broadway workingagainin a gradual,step-wise way from doing so?

I think the "perverse incentive

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 16 2020, 10:03:41 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "Well that’s what will most probably be done before people can get on an airplane so I’m guessing sitting “near” someone for a couple hours either in a theater or a plane will have some sort of similar guidelines."

Yeah, though for the same reasons I've cited, I don't see plane travel being safe for quite a while either.

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 16 2020, 08:57:07 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "I’ve said before when they do open I think temps will be taken upon entry and either every other row in use or some sort of staggered seating will be implemented."

I agree that these would be necessary measures, but I don't think they are sufficient for safely reopening theaters.  Taking temps is of limited probative value, given variations in the symptoms that present (and that in many don't present at all).  And t

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 16 2020, 08:36:33 PM

RWPrincess said: As for Broadway, I do think it will reopen this year with a lot of restrictions for health and social distancing.

And what do you think that would look like?  I mean, 6 feet of distance between persons to one's left, one's right, in front of one, and behind one would entail a whole lot of empty seats.  I don't see there being an approach that is both safe and economically viable before sometime in 2021

NYC mayor Bill de Blasio: Coronavirus could keep fans from Yankee Stadium for months  Apr 15 2020, 09:08:54 PM

LA's mayor, Eric Garcetti, is now saying LA may not authorize events involving large gatherings (like concerts, sporting events, and possibly even movie premieres) until 2021:  https://deadline.com/2020/04/l-a-mayor-eric-garcetti-confirms-big-events-may-be-banned-until-2021-1202909414/.   

This seems like a sensible assessment, esp

Greta Gerwig Coming to Off- BWAY  Jan 24 2020, 06:33:00 PM

raddersons said: "Iconsider Sam Gold's Hamlet with Oscar Isaac to be one of the most thrilling interpretations of a classical work I've ever seen. I was hanging on every word of every actor. After never really seeing a production of Hamlet I've liked (and I've seen many), it really struck me and I felt like I finally -got- it.

I've never actually seen a production ofThe Three Sisters, and I'm soexcited for this one.
"

Gold's

My Name Is Lucy Barton - Reviews  Jan 23 2020, 09:38:22 PM

The BroadwayWorld roundup wasn't updated to include the negative reviews from New York Magazine and The New Yorker.  Here are the links to those reviews:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/theater-review-my-name-is-lucy-barton.html

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/27

1/19 Closings/Last Shows  Jan 20 2020, 06:17:16 PM

sm33 said: "I hope someone here was atOklahoma's last show, because I'd love to hear about it!I went to four performances over the course of the run, and would have been at closing if I didn't live on the opposite coast. What a fantastic production."

I snagged a ticket for the last show the day before.  My third time seeing it, and the crowd largely seemed to consist of Oklahoma devotees, with many people wearing merchandise from the pr

Worst Broadway Show of the Decade?  Dec 31 2019, 06:28:49 PM

Among those shows listed in the poll that I saw, I have to say China Doll.  Absolutely dreadful, so much so that Al Pacino could do nothing to help it.

A Woman of the World  Nov 9 2019, 11:02:47 AM
Thank you for the thoughtful review.

Mystery Shows?  Oct 13 2019, 10:52:30 AM

Some, including Mary-Louise Parker, describe The Sound Inside as a mystery.

The Inheritance - Previews  Oct 4 2019, 09:19:59 AM

BWAY Baby2 said: "I see both parts Noveber 10- a Sunday. I do not like dramas without irony, wit, intelligent dialogue and complex characterizations.

Don't worry, it has all of these.  While I think some of the naysayers in this thread offer fair insights, I believe they overmagnify the issues they raise.  On the whole, it is a very fine piece of theatre.  

The Wrong Man  Sep 28 2019, 05:04:02 PM

trpguyy said: "zachvandyke said: "This will not be transferring to Broadway. No way. "

We get it, you didn’t like the show. But unless you were being courted as a big producer,dislike ofthe production has no bearing over whether or not it will transfer.
"

That's not entirely true.  If it's panned by the critics, that is likely to have a bearing on whether it transfers.  And zachvandyke's comment may just b

The Wrong Man  Sep 19 2019, 11:13:07 AM

I'm curious to know what people thought of Lacamoire's orchestrations and what the instrumentation is for the show.  I'm not impressed with many of the tunes, and that is deterring me at the moment from seeing the show (despite wanting to see Josh Henry);  so, I'm wondering how much the music benefits from Lacamoire's contribution.

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!  Sep 16 2019, 05:49:15 PM

What I consciously hate is this kind of facile and fatuous analysis, regardless of what side of the issue one is on (and I did not take a strong position one way or the other on the issue).  It doesn't engage any of the reasonable arguments people have adduced, and really just amounts to an ad hominem.

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!  Sep 16 2019, 03:02:31 PM

JBroadway said: "Let me start by saying that I find phone use in theatre really distracting, and it makes me angry when I see it happening.

But that's because I've been conditioned to see that assomeonebreaking the societal standard we have set in place: to sit quietly and still in a dark theatre and watch the stage attentively.And that standard was set by a more elitist - traditionally white - culture in the arts . . .

And I realize that phone use is di

20 at 20 (2019)  Sep 5 2019, 03:32:29 PM

VintageSnarker said: 

I was going to try and see Caesar and Cleopatra but Claybourne Elder is inexplicably no longer attached as far as I can tell. If anyone sees it, please report back. I find Theatre Row shows very hit or miss.

Elder's departure was reported a couple of weeks ago as being due to a "scheduling conflict":  Betrayal Seating Discussion  Aug 24 2019, 11:51:32 PM

I sat in D8 at today's matinee.  I usually splurge for good center orchestra seats, but I took a chance on this one at $25 with the thought that I would get a better seat for another performance if I found D8 to be unsatisfactory.  In the end, I was happy enough with the seat.  I concur with most of what angoradebs wrote.  I really didn't feel like I missed much, and it's great to have that proximity to the actors.  As angoradebs stated, the

Sondheim's Assassins to Receive New Off-Broadway Revival  Mar 21 2019, 11:49:48 AM

Doyle's minimalism can be hit or miss, but I found it worked particularly well with Pacific Overtures (I was also a fan of his direction of Carmen Jones and The Color Purple).  For those seeking what is likely to be a much more traditional production of Assassins, I saw that Signature in Arlington, VA is doing it in late summer/early fall 2019.  I attended their last two Sondheim productions (A Little Night Music and Passion) and have been very impressed.

Hello, Dolly!  Mar 18 2019, 10:14:09 PM

I would ask a percussionist! laugh

But, more seriously, you should check out a site that shows percussion set ups for numerous musicals, including Andy Blanco's setup for Hello Dolly at the Shubert (scroll down the page or use find on page function).  Hope you find it helpful:  https:

You must log in to view off-topic posts.