Advertisement
Advertisement

Page: 1

Billy Porter..... when will his 15 minutes of fame.....

LovesBway! Profile PhotoLovesBway! Profile Photo
LovesBway!
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

be over?  

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, his Tony Award, recent Emmy, and roles in film/television certainly indicate he's much more famous than 15 min worth to begin with. Plus I believe he's officially getting into fashion? So not for awhile. Sorry, OP. 

Dionysus3 Profile PhotoDionysus3 Profile Photo
Dionysus3
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Billy Porter rules, sorry
ModernMillie3 Profile PhotoModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star

He's a force of nature, and he's been waiting 30 year for this level of fame. Don't like it? Scroll on by because he isn't going anywhere. 

ACL2006 Profile PhotoACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Porter is all kinds of fabulous and has worked his A$$ off to get where he is. He can stick around for a long time and I can't wait to see what he does next.
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Huss417 Profile PhotoHuss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

LovesBway! said: "be over?

"

I think yours will come first. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Highland Guy Profile PhotoHighland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor

Love the spider bracelet!

VOTE BLUE IN 2020
ChildofEarth Profile PhotoChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Why do you want it to be?
darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

LovesBway! said: "be over?

"

You would think somebody who claims to love Broadway would love the fact that Broadway actor has been able to bridge the gap between theater and TV / film and finding great success. SMH. 

Darreyl with an L!
Susanswerphone Profile PhotoSusanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't wish him ill fortune. He has worked his ass off and deserves all good things. That said, I think the OP was asking a different question: is he, perhaps, becoming overexposed? Already there have been some less than carefully curated choices made: Like A Boss.
ghostlight2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^ This.

I find him off-putting and annoying as hell, despite his very obvious talent.

That said, I agree that  "he's been waiting 30 year[s] for this level of fame. Don't like it? Scroll on by because he isn't going anywhere."

He isn't my cup of tea, at all - but I'm glad for his success. It's easy enough to avoid him without negating him.

magictodo123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

ModernMillie3 said: "He's a force of nature, and he's been waiting 30 year for this level of fame. Don't like it? Scroll on by because he isn't going anywhere."

ModernMillie3, we actually agree on something! =) 

uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I will just say I met him and talked a while with him before and after Kinky Boots. 

I think what annoys me most is that he is part of a show that has been touted for its trans cast but he is the one we are seeing all over the place. In the few interviews I have seen he hasn't talked much about his fellow cast members or praised them. (He may have in other interviews but I have not seen them). 

There is no doubt that the man is talented. No doubt. Back in his early days I knew who he was because he was someone in the theatre community that I looked up to as an African American boy who dreamed of acting in NYC. Yes, he has wanted and worked to get to this point but I also think that he is now a bit overexposed and quite honestly, I am just not into his flamboyance. If he comes back to Broadway, I will see him though. That's just me and JMO.

Just give the world Love.
LovesBway!
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

His 15 minutes will keep rolling on Oscar night.... can't wait to see what he scares up to wear to get that much needed attention he craves!

LovesBway!
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

His 15 minutes will keep rolling on Oscar night.... can't wait to see what he scares up to wear to get that much needed attention he craves!

Huss417 Profile PhotoHuss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

LovesBway! said: "His 15 minutes will keep rolling on Oscar night.... can't wait to see what he scares up to wear to get that much needed attention he craves!

"

Bitter much?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He is a queer black man who came to fame in his late 40s. Shut the f*** up, let him do what he wants, and enjoy his time. What misfortune does it bring you?

"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just wish his looks were on point. If you’re going to be outrageous, fine, but make sure it’s well styled and tailored. I find Porter’s looks are almost always a mess.

Lil Nas X is KILLING the fashion game. Billy could take some styling/editing tips from him. That hot pink Versace was major.
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I do love that Billy is being his true self as expressed through his sartorial choices. However, I do wonder whether his clothes more costume than fashion?

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

All clothing is a costume. All fashion is a fantasy. Each time Billy Porter blurs gender lines in a big public way, he makes each of us a little bit freer.

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

However long Kristen Stewart has been getting work in films since the first Twilight movie, multiply that by 10 and that's when you can perhaps start considering to bitch about whatever Billy Porter is doing in front of cameras.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
CarlosAlberto Profile PhotoCarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

FindingNamo said: "All clothing is a costume. All fashion is a fantasy. Each time Billy Porter blurs gender lines in a big public way, he makes each of us a little bit freer."

The one voice of reason on this thread. 

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

LovesBway! said: "His 15 minutes will keep rolling on Oscar night.... can't wait to see what he scares up to wear to get that much needed attention he craves!

"

So glad you revived this thread to give him said attention! You must really have nothing better to do with yourself. 

Advertisement