Posted: 9/20/14 at 2:49pm
An amazing talent. RIP Polly Bergen
Will42 Profile PhotoWill42 Profile Photo
Will42
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RIP Polly Bergen#2
Posted: 9/20/14 at 4:02pm
Very sad news. She was a wonderful, wonderful actress. R.I.P.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#3
Posted: 9/20/14 at 4:08pm
I remember owning shoes by her- they were great- cushy comfy. Multi talented performer.
Thanks. RIP
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
GavestonPS Profile PhotoGavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#4
Posted: 9/20/14 at 4:34pm
How sad! She was indeed versatile and my mother adored her!
Will42 Profile PhotoWill42 Profile Photo
Will42
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RIP Polly Bergen#5
Posted: 9/20/14 at 4:59pm
It that true that Ms. Bergen couldn't even get an audition for Follies so she approached Sondheim directly and sang for him.
If true, how stupid where they? I'm Still Here! was practically the story of her life.
redmustang
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
RIP Polly Bergen#6
Posted: 9/20/14 at 5:21pm
She was so funny in Move Over, Darling with Doris Day and James Garner. We lost James July 19 and Polly today. RIP, my darling.
Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#7
Posted: 9/20/14 at 11:55pm
Will, it is true and she played the role and sang the song in the 2001 revival. One of the few highlights.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#8
Posted: 9/21/14 at 1:06am

10 minutes from my favorite Polly Bergen performance ever.

Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#9
Posted: 9/21/14 at 1:15am
Spectacular. Her Why Was I Born? always rips my heart out. I can't help but think she was channeling Garland a little bit.
darreyl102 Profile Photodarreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#10
Posted: 9/21/14 at 8:27am
She was wonderful! loved her in Follies, Cry-Baby, Desperate Housewives and soo much more! We are losing soo much talent this year!
Darreyl with an L!
Broadway Baby8 Profile PhotoBroadway Baby8 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby8
Understudy
Understudy
RIP Polly Bergen#11
Posted: 9/21/14 at 9:20am
Was fortunate to see her play Fraulein Schneider in 2002's Cabaret. At that time John Stamos and Jane Leeves were starring in it. Polly and Hal Linden were the highlights of the show. Also loved her in the tv miniseries, "The Winds of War."
"Be a Fountain, Not a Drain." --Rex Hudler
LarryD2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#12
Posted: 9/21/14 at 9:45am
I worked with Ms. Bergen on a regional production and, in addition to being a true emblem of old-school professionalism, she was also one of the most kind and generous colleagues I've ever encountered. What a wonderful and talented lady she was. And, as her life story attests, quite resilient.
henrikegerman Profile Photohenrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#13
Posted: 9/21/14 at 9:59am
Is there going to be a debate about whether the lights are going to dim? Or do we reserve that just for the uber famous for whom we are engaged in mass necrophilia?
That and that for all the talk of Joan Rivers being a tony nominee, Polly Bergen actually won one.
lovebwy Profile Photolovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#14
Posted: 9/21/14 at 12:54pm
"Or do we reserve that just for the uber famous for whom we are engaged in mass necrophilia?"

You must be fun at parties.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#15
Posted: 9/21/14 at 12:56pm
sadonecrobestiality= beating a dead horse.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
Wilmingtom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#16
Posted: 9/21/14 at 1:36pm
Henrik, I don't recall Polly Bergen winning a Tony. For what?
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#17
Posted: 9/21/14 at 1:47pm
Saw her in the Follies that played the Belasco

This may have been the only thing I saw her in. She was great .

R.I.P.
Poster Emeritus
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#18
Posted: 9/21/14 at 1:49pm

She was nominated once, for Follies, but she didn't win.

She won an Emmy, for the Helen Morgan performance I linked above, and she was nominated three more times.

But no Tony.
henrikegerman Profile Photohenrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#19
Posted: 9/21/14 at 3:54pm
Whoops, me bad. I thought she had won for Follies. But I can be very fun at parties.
theeatah Profile Phototheeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
RIP Polly Bergen#20
Posted: 9/21/14 at 8:01pm
When thinking about who might have done the original GYPSY movie AND been right for the role, I settled on Polly Bergen - though her fame was more TV and not Box Office Movie Star, I suppose. Her persona was one of sophistication but I think she had an earthy quality about her as well, tough and no-nonsense. And what a singing voice she had, almost right up until the end, it seemed.

I was going to post a YT link to her version of "There's No Business Like Show Business", but it seems to have been taken down
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIP Polly Bergen#21
Posted: 9/22/14 at 12:26pm
Sad news. May she rest in peace.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Cuneas
Swing
Swing
RIP Polly Bergen#22
Posted: 9/24/14 at 4:43am
I had never really been all that familiar with her, except from the 'First Impressions' cast album, so when I heard the news I picked up a couple of her classic-era albums. I felt I owed her that much, especially as I had always really liked what I'd heard of her voice.

It's been an eye-opening experience. She was truly an amazing talent, and I feel really guilty that I never really knew that until now. Cheers, Ms. Bergen. We will remember.
Christoph
Stand-by
Stand-by
RIP Polly Bergen#23
Posted: 9/24/14 at 4:25pm
Really tragic news. When I was a kid, I remember she was a pretty common fixture on many TV shows, TV movies and miniseries. Even in my kids mind, she struck me immediately as lovely and classy, and someone for whom I would stop what I doing to watch. I regretted missing her in the Follies revival, but was rewarded to catch her in Cabaret, and she was tremendous. Plus, if you ever want to see flawless acting, catch her sequence in War and Remembrance opposite Robert Mitchum where she gets drunk and has a breakdown. One of the single most brilliant acting sequences...ever. I remember a friend of my parents actually gasping and exclaiming "she is extraordinary!" Still not sure how she lost the Emmy that year.