Printer Friendly - Laura Benanti vs Kerstin Anderson vs Lauren Ambrose

Laura Benanti vs Kerstin Anderson vs Lauren Ambrose
Posted by Broadway Flash 2019-01-15 00:55:56

Who is better in the role? Also, is it true that Laura extended her contract until April? Will Lauren Ambrose come back to finish her year contract?

Posted by teatime2 2019-01-15 02:00:35

Heather Botts.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2019-01-15 08:43:36

I have not seen Kerstin Anderson, but I thought Lauren Ambrose and Laura Benanti were both astonishing in the role in their own ways.

Posted by spicemonkey 2019-01-15 09:17:05

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I saw Lauren in previews, Kerstin on December and Laura last weekend. They were all very good and I was never disappointed in seeing any of them as Eliza. 

But personally (Yes, anyone can disagree with me, lol), my favorite is Kerstin Anderson.

Her performance was way above my expectation. Her voice is so powerful. Her performance gave me a feeling that the stage belonged to her. Plus, she has the least experience among the three(one original cast, one Tony winner, and Kerstin herself). She has a bright career ahead of her, I believe.

Posted by schubox 2019-01-15 10:22:48

Havent seen Anderson but I thought Benanti and Ambrose were both great and had different strengths.

I thought Ambrose played the early Eliza quite well. The way she reacted to the situation she was put into. Benanti sold the comedy bits and got laughs where you may not even expected them, they both sang beautifully. I enjoyed them both for different reasons

Posted by Wick3 2019-01-15 10:32:42

my vote goes to Kerstin Anderson. I think she's underrated actually. My favorite Eliza has always been Martine McCutcheon though in the West End.

Posted by Broadway Flash 2019-01-15 13:33:53

any chance Kelli Ohara might play the role at some point in the run?

Posted by Emmaloucbway 2019-01-15 13:36:55

Broadway Flash said: "any chance Kelli Ohara might play the role at some point in the run?"

Since she's about to start Kiss Me, Kate I would think it's unlikely (I know KMK is a limited run, but it may extend).

Posted by haterobics 2019-01-15 14:51:02

Seems a very hard thread to join, since only people who saw all three could have a valid opinion, and even then... just an opinion anyway.

Posted by LuPita2 2019-01-15 15:37:04

All of them are strong in the role.  All different takes, and they are all insanely talented.  You can't lose with My Fair Lady, honestly.  

Posted by DottieD'Luscia 2019-01-15 16:03:26

I plan on seeing Laura Benanti next month, but would also like to see Kerstin Anderson. Still no word on Heather Botts' performance as Eliza.

Posted by theaterlyfe19 2019-01-16 05:37:32

I’ve seen Ambrose and Anderson. I was not disappointed by either, but I was blown away by Kerstin. She actually went to school with my cousins, so I really wanted to see her. Used my LincTix to see her and was blown away by her talent. She was incredible. Her “Could’ve Danced All Night” will always be my favorite moment of her performance, 

Posted by Broadway Flash 2019-01-16 06:21:46

Does anybody know when Harry is going to stop performing on Wednesday nights ?

Posted by Dave13 2019-01-16 09:10:36

I have seen Kerstin and Lauren. I preferred Kerstin.

Posted by Emmaloucbway 2019-01-16 10:31:51

Broadway Flash said: "Does anybody know when Harry is going to stop performing on Wednesday nights ?"

February 6th.

Posted by ColorTheHours048 2019-01-16 10:38:54

Im looking forward to seeing Laura tomorrow night! The production itself was so wonderful when I saw the first preview, Im mostly excited to see all the ways its tightened and refined itself.

I loved Lauren Ambrose in the role and will likely go back again to see Kerstin if the production still feels as powerful as I remember it.

Posted by theaterlyfe19 2019-01-16 10:42:44

I will say My Fair Lady has outstanding understudies and I dont think you could go wrong with Kerstin or Heather (I think those are the only Eliza understudies....) if Laura is out.

Posted by ccbway 2019-01-17 10:15:41

I finally saw this last night with Laura and while her singing and acting were excellent, her accents were pretty dodgy. Anyone have an opinion on Kerstin or Lauren's?

Posted by Broadway Flash 2019-01-17 22:57:00

A lot of people have said that about her accent

Posted by ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 2019-01-17 23:32:23

ccbway said: "I finally saw this last night with Laura and while her singing and acting were excellent, her accents were pretty dodgy. Anyone have an opinion on Kerstin or Lauren's?"

I thought Lauren Ambrose's accent was pretty great. It wasn't a strong or over-the-top accent, but it was more grounded and I found it very consistent. I can imagine a real person speaking the way she did.