Printer Friendly - 16y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen

16y/o Jimmy Award Winner is Bway's Next Evan Hansen
Posted by VotePeron 2018-11-12 10:30:24

16 year-old Andrew Barth Feldman, winner of the 2018 Jimmy Award, will take over as Evan Hansen in January. incredible for this kid. He's super talented, I see why.

Source: New York Times

Jimmy Award performances:

"Goodbye" from Catch Me If You Can  (as part of a medley)

"I Love Betsy" from Honeymoon in Vegas (full solo)

Image of him in costume, from NYT:

Posted by barcelona20 2018-11-12 10:43:34

Will be interesting to see how he holds up over the run.

Posted by CT2NYC 2018-11-12 10:49:17

Odd that he's starting on a Wednesday, not Tuesday. Maybe they're switching up the alternate schedule.

Posted by Br0adway 2018-11-12 10:51:18

Well looks like I’ll be adding DEH back into my Broadway show list. I didn’t think they’d add a new Evan just yet. I thought Taylor Trensch would stick around for a while.

Posted by amygbrooks 2018-11-12 11:15:46

Wow. Bold move. I'll be back in NY in March and just might have to see DEH again.

Posted by bdn223 2018-11-12 11:26:44

I'm amazed they cast the show with someone whose actually a teen. I hope the producers are paying for a vocal coach for him as I can't imagine at 16 he has the forethought to think about what belting out DEH's score nightly will do to his voice without proper care. Best of luck to him, and may this just be a stepping stone of greater things to come!!!

Posted by Valentina3 2018-11-12 11:32:39

I hope this get Tim Federle to write another Better Nate Than Ever series based on this guy.

Posted by ggersten 2018-11-12 11:42:24

This is at least the second Jimmy participant to land a lead role as a teen.  Eve Noblezada also was "discovered" at the Jimmys.  

Posted by JSquared2 2018-11-12 12:08:43

Br0adway said: "Well looks like I’ll be adding DEH back into my Broadway show list. I didn’t think they’d add a new Evan just yet. I thought Taylor Trensch would stick around for a while."

Trensch started last January, so he'll have done a full year -- how long were you expecting him to stay?

Posted by jae_lynn13 2018-11-12 12:25:59

Wow, this is amazing! What a great opportunity for him! I had watched his winning performance from the Jimmy's, and he's extremely talented! On the off chance that he checks these chat boards, I wish you the best of luck with your run, Andrew! Stay healthy, have fun, and break a leg (along with your perpetual broken arm)!

Posted by KitKatBoy24 2018-11-12 13:01:48

That score is a beast for Evan. I can’t help but worry that a 16 y/o boy could damage his voice doing that show that many times a week. If they wanted the publicity of a teenager playing the role, I almost wish they’d cast two boys and have them rotate. The male voice at that age just might not be mature enough for this.

That being said, I’d love to be proved wrong and be blown away by him!

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-12 13:07:42

Wow! This is a great opportunity for him, I agree that the score could ruin his voice 8 times a week, but Im sure there will be coaches backstage to help.

I wonder how he will look with the other “teenagers” of Jared and Alana.

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-11-12 13:18:59

They are still using the alternate schedule, but still 6 times a week is a lot for someone of his age.

Posted by uncageg 2018-11-12 13:28:10

Valentina3 said: "I hope this get Tim Federle to write another Better Nate Than Ever series based on this guy."

I am hoping he writes another book to tie up the loose ends in the third and "final" book. He eluded to it in an interview.

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-12 13:50:14

Call_me_jorge said: "They are still using the alternate schedule, but still 6 times a week is a lot for someone of his age. "

Ah thanks Jorge. I always forget that the evans do 6 times a week.

Posted by bdn223 2018-11-12 15:38:33

Bwayfan292 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "They are still using the alternate schedule, but still 6 times a week is a lot for someone of his age. "

Ah thanks Jorge. I always forget that the evans do 6 times a week.
"

Still you could hear the vocal damage forming in Ben Platts voice during his Tony Performance....having to sing/belt Waiving Through A Window even 6x a week is going to take its toll.

Posted by InTheBathroom1 2018-11-12 15:47:44

BREAKING: Babies from The Ferryman to star as Broadway’s next Evan Hansens

Posted by LesWickedly 2018-11-12 15:50:09

Bdn, it could take a toll but if he manages to stay healthy and take the right precautions, all could be fine. To be fair, Ben had been performing the show 8 times a week at that time (the alternate schedule wasn’t implemented until September of last year) and he had been out sick that whole entire weekend of the Tonys. I wish all the luck to Andrew and can’t wait to see him. It’s also worth nothing that Taylor has missed barely any performances and I don’t think Noah missed any either so seems they’re very healthy and the alternate schedule could be a huge factor into that.

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-11-12 16:50:11

I wonder if the eventual goal is to cast people aged 16-20 in all the youth roles (like the original Spring Awakening did)? This guy and Mallory Bechtel are so young, but the rest of the "kids" and standbys are in their late 20s.

Posted by Golenboybway 2018-11-12 17:02:33

Most of the cast and standbys are late twenties but

Dan u/s Connor/Jared just finished college and so he’s 22

Diamond u/s Zoe/Alana is 23

Roman u/s Evan/Connor/Jared is a freshman/sophomore in college making him around 19-20 so considering the standbys i think they’re ok. And besides Mallory the rest of the onstage cast is a bit older. I’m not sure how old Phoenix is

Posted by Sondheimite 2018-11-12 17:22:51

Honestly?

Besides P&P constantly writing the most clichéd/trite musicals ever to grace the modern stage, the character of Evan is a sociopath.  It's hard to have sympathy for a sociopath when someone in their mid/late twenties is playing the role.  It might bring more sympathy to the character having a younger teen play the role.  

Posted by MauraLovesMusicals 2018-11-13 10:35:27

a little off topic, but can someone explain to me how the jimmy’s work? i know they’re like the high school tonys but how do they figure out who wins? there are over 100,000 schools in the country, and they obviously do not scout every single one. is it just like a select few favorite schools? the whole event just seems like a storm of favoring well funded theater departments instead of working on helping bring big eyes to smaller schools that do just as much

Posted by InTheBathroom1 2018-11-13 10:45:48

It seems like that because it is.  States/Regions have their own programs that give out awards for Best Actor/Actress in that specific region.  Of course, the school has to pay fees and such to be a member and be reviewed by a team of panelists.  The winners from the state go to the Jimmys and then the winners are selected there.  And I think it's important to note that DEH was a sponsor of this year's program.  My guess is that they were planning on casting a Jimmy person from the start.

Also important to note that at least in Wisconsin, participating schools must be less than 90 miles from the state's capital which eliminates a lot of schools.

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2018-11-13 10:47:44

^first there are regional awards. In Chicago it’s the IHSMTA(Illinois high school musical theatre awards) and I’m pretty sure schools have to pay to be considered to be nominated? My former high school has been nominated for these a couple times. Then twi actors one female and one male who win at their regional awards get sent to the Jimmy’s to represent their region/show.

edit: ahaha inthebathroon beat me to it!

Posted by sing_dance_love 2018-11-13 10:49:28

Edit: the above posters answered before me. 

Posted by MauraLovesMusicals 2018-11-13 10:53:20

that makes much more sense. wish my school wasn’t athletic based or that could be a cool thought.

Posted by CedricOates 2018-11-13 12:10:36

At 16, my voice was nothing like it is now. Or even from my junior to senior year of hs. What if he has a voice drop mid run

Posted by Bwayfan292 2018-11-13 12:14:55

CedricOates said: "At 16, my voice was nothing like it is now. Or even from my junior to senior year of hs. What if he has a voice drop mid run"

I was thinking the same thing, my voice dropped again during my senior year or HS. Is that why teenagers are not usually cast in broadway shows? 

Posted by CedricOates 2018-11-13 12:35:39

Bwayfan292 said: "CedricOates said: "At 16, my voice was nothing like it is now. Or even from my junior to senior year of hs. What if he has a voice drop mid run"

I was thinking the same thing, my voice dropped again during my senior year or HS. Is that why teenagers are not usually cast in broadway shows?
"

It makes sense in my head. The teenage body is very hit or miss. My cousin had a full on beard and his voice hasn’t changed since he was fifteen. Some develop really early and stop. I graduated high school, and then hit puberty. If i were a producer, i would stray away from casting teenagers in roles that are very heavy, like Evan Hansen, because at any point they could give out. Either vocally, or put on weight. 

My little opinion is that there are college graduates right out of musical theatre majors that can easily pass for high schoolers and have been training for this sort of career and yet they put a bet on someone who can potentially not vocally perform the role 6 months from now. Not hating on who they cast, but it’s a bet. And because of the fandom and all ... a big bet.

Posted by singer234 2018-11-13 12:56:24

They weren’t as hard sings, but Alexandra Socha/Gerard Canonico were going on for Wendla and Moritz around 17 years old I believe. Jenn Damiano was 16 when Next To Normal opened which certainly was not an easy sing. It’s hard but not totally unheard of...at this level of difficulty though that’s tough. Though the producers will have him training nonstop w Liz Caplan I’m sure.

Posted by Nycat63 2018-11-13 16:01:04

InTheBathroom1 said: "It seems like that because it is. States/Regions have their own programs that give out awards for Best Actor/Actress in that specific region. Of course, the school has to pay fees and such to be a member and be reviewed by a team of panelists. The winners from the state go to the Jimmys and then the winners are selected there. And I think it's important to note that DEH was a sponsor of this year's program. My guess is that they were planning on casting a Jimmy person from the start.

Also important to note that at least in Wisconsin, participating schools must be less than 90 miles from the state's capital which eliminates a lot of schools.
"

Just FYI Wisconsin has two regional competitions  - the Jerrys (recently renamed from the Tommys bc of Tom Wopat allegations) and Center Stage.  The first includes Madison, Milwaukee etc and the second is northern WI.  

I watched the livestream of the Jimmys and was blown away by his “I Love Betsy” - he is made for Broadway (at least someday - I hope for his sake this doesn’t turn out to be too much right out of the gate).  To me he also reads younger than 16 so it’s an interesting choice.  Regardless, he has something very special and I wish him all the best!!!

Posted by Jarethan 2018-11-13 17:41:08

I think it is great that a teenager is actually playing...a teenager.  Although I thought his acting was fine, the actor cast as the foster son (I think he was supposed to be 15) in Torch Song appeared to be about a decade too old for the role, and I personally found very jarring.

I agree with everyone else that I hope he gets plenty of training on protecting his vocal cords because, if he is up to the talent demands of playing Evan Hansen, imaging the potential future he has.

Posted by SomethingPeculiar 2018-11-13 17:55:02

Bwayfan292 said: "CedricOates said: "At 16, my voice was nothing like it is now. Or even from my junior to senior year of hs. What if he has a voice drop mid run"
"

I wonder how long his contract is? My first instinct is that they've signed him for 4-6 months and the producers could offer him an extension if it's going well. It's an intense part, but I have faith that this team is working to make sure he's in top form –– vocally, physically, mentally, and educationally.

Posted by dwirth 2018-11-14 00:22:43

Good for the show to cast an actual teenage boy to go along with actual teenage girl opposite him. due to the glories of YouTube I have previously watched the Jimmy awards from this year and have to say with all respect to how talented he is for a 16 year old, i was far more impressed by other candidates - just as I have been with other non-winners from other years (though Noblezada was great...).

on the other hand, his co-star Mallory Bechtel with spectacular as a 13 year old also on YouTube.. and 14/15/16/17 - just poised and fantastic. but based on who they often pick for the Jimmy award winner she wouldn't have won that or gotten close had she been involved - she's too good.

But I'm not a professional casting director..

Posted by Sarah329 2019-01-17 19:43:31

Im not sure if this is the board to ask this, but is Andrew doing the full 6 shows a week? (I mean, I cant see why he wouldnt but I thought I saw an article that said he was only doing 5, I probably misread it though)

Posted by LesWickedly 2019-01-17 20:31:28

According to the official website, hell be doing 5 a week, having Tuesday night off as well. This is very smart of them and will hopefully ensure his health.

Posted by chelseaburnside 2019-01-30 15:09:36

Is anyone here going to be at the show tonight? Would love to hear reviews

Posted by Wick3 2019-01-30 15:16:47

I agree. Would love to hear what people think. I really wish him the best! I see a lot of the premium tickets are now regular priced on telecharge ($179) and who knows it may be on TKTS. 

Posted by Miles2Go2 2019-01-30 16:28:20

I’m also looking forward to reports from tonight. I have one open slot (Saturday, 2/16, evening) remaining for my upcoming work trip and if reports are strong I’ll probably opt to see this over other remaining options.

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-01-30 17:55:45

I'm also curious about tonight. I've been following Andrew on Instagram and Twitter and he seems to have a great personality. If anyone is interested, he also has his own Youtube channel and did a fantastic cover of Michael in the Bathroom from Be More Chill.

On another note, since he is a minor, I'm guessing he has a child guardian there with him. Does that also mean Michael Lee Brown or another understudy would be there as a backup? 

Posted by Miles2Go2 2019-01-30 23:53:31

Anyone there tonight?

Posted by DiscoCrows 2019-01-31 00:06:25

Curtain Call/Bows on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGqDO37GQI

Posted by treblemakerz 2019-01-31 00:11:18

I'm so thrilled for him. He's a family friend of someone I know so I'll finally be getting around to seeing DEH just for his performance. I hope he had a fantastic debut!!

Posted by Miles2Go2 2019-01-31 00:14:46

Looking forward to reports!

Posted by HGorn 2019-01-31 11:23:05

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/andrew-barth-feldman-dear-evan-hansen-1.26624365

Posted by BwayGeek2 2019-01-31 11:25:15

That's amazing for him!

Posted by HeatherAV 2019-01-31 12:31:00

I saw on Michael Park's twitter that Michael was so engrossed in Andrew's performance that he (Michael) made a mistaken in Break in a Glove.  Does anyone know what happened?

Posted by Fosse76 2019-01-31 13:39:52

"His Broadway debut marks the first time an actual teen has starred in the teenage title role of the Tony Award-winning musical"

They make it sound like the show's been around for decades with dozens of actors having previously played the role.

Posted by JBC3 2019-01-31 13:47:05

No, they made a factual statement about what has actually happened.

Posted by Fosse76 2019-01-31 14:57:20

JBC3 said: "No, they made a factual statement about what has actually happened."

You're arguing semantics, I'm referring to the tone. They certainly didn't make a reference to Trensch being the oldest actor to have played the role. He's the third replacement in less than 14 months, it's not exactly ground-breaking.

Posted by swright1031 2019-01-31 15:23:03

Sorry it took me so long to post but i was there last night and he absolutely killed it! Of the four Evans that I've seen (Ben Platt, Michael Lee Brown, Taylor Trensch and Andrew), he is second only to Ben Platt and with time I feel like his performance will only grow. While he does play the character similarly to the way that Ben Platt does, he does make the roll his own. Vocally he is very strong with "Waving through a Window" and   "If I could tell her" being standouts. He has easy chemistry with the entire cast, but particularly with Mallory Bechtel and Lisa Brescia. The only thing is that he looks noticeably young next to Alex Boniello. I did notice that he was understandably very nervous during the first scene as he was visibly shaking, although this actually worked well for the character. Overall this was an incredible debut for such a young performer and rest assured the character and the show are in very good hands! Also for those asking about Michael Park, he started laughing at one of Andrew's reactions during to break in a glove and ended up skipping a line in the song. He recovered quickly though!

Posted by LuPita2 2019-01-31 17:17:54

It is actually.  Not a lot of that happening in Broadway shows these days.  Wonderful accomplishment for such a young man.

Posted by RaisedOnMusicals 2019-01-31 18:58:48

Break a leg, kid. (To go along with your broken arm).

Posted by SweetLips22 2019-02-01 02:59:12

Might seem a strange question but with the current spate of sexual harassment episodes what 'protection' is set in place for a 16yo in the theatre work place. Don't know the age group that need supervision, eg Annie. What are the laws re a 16yo in USA?

Most states in Australia, 16 is legal age so could perform without a guardian.

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-02-01 08:50:15

I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian.

Posted by followtheneon 2019-02-01 11:27:55

HeatherAV said: "I saw on Michael Park's twitter that Michael was so engrossed in Andrew's performance that he (Michael) made a mistaken in Break in a Glove. Does anyone know what happened?"

I was there, and it honestly wasn't a huge mistake. He simply skipped a line. There was a bit of an awkward pause in the middle of a phrase, but he picked it up at the next line. I forget the exact spot it happened. It was later in the song.

Posted by musicals1989 2019-02-01 22:45:27

RWPrincess said: "I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian."

MLB is an Alternate and understudy, so yes...he is there for every performance. There's usually a clause that says once the show starts they have to be within a certain distance of the theatre in case they are called to go on...but I don't remember the details. It's the same way for all understudies in a show like this that doesn't have on-stage understudies. 

Posted by bwaylinds 2019-02-01 23:24:42

musicals1989 said: "RWPrincess said: "I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian."

MLB is an Alternate and understudy, so yes...he is there for every performance. There's usually a clause that says once the show starts they have to be within a certain distance of the theatre in case they are called to go on...but I don't remember the details. It's the same way for all understudies in a show like this that doesn't have on-stage understudies.

http://www.playbill.com/article/ask-playbillcom-child-actors-on-broadway-com-148947

This article states "And, even on Broadway, for a performer who's under 16, the show is required to hire a supervisor for the child to be at the theatre at every performance." so it would appear not

"

Posted by RippedMan 2019-02-02 00:08:29

I don't really get why his actual age matters at all in the quality of his work. So many of you said "finally a teenager playing a teenager," but, as an actor, I find that really ludircrious. Gavin Creel was playing the lead in Book of Mormon - who is 18 - well into his late 30s. It doesn't matter. 

Posted by Sunny11 2019-02-02 03:32:59

The Quality of an actors work to an audience usually includes how they physically match the character.

In most cases there are obvious differences between a teenager and an adult in their mid twenties or thirties: height, muscle  mass, voice pitch, maturity etc.

The casting of adults to play teenagers is normally a practical decision in terms working hours and avoiding additional costs like chaperones and not about who is best for the part.

I think that the art improves if actual teenagers play those roles, as long as they have had the appropriate level of training.

Thanks to the availability of high quality youth theatre and performing arts high schools, many times you can’t tell the difference between someone who is still in high school and recent BFA graduates, skills wise.

Posted by broadwayghost1 2019-02-02 12:59:52

How long will Andrew be in the show? I have tickets for a Wednesday matinee in July.

Posted by Miles2Go2 2019-02-02 13:18:03

He’s not performing Wednesday matinees currently and I would suspect it will remain that way.

Posted by Robbie2 2019-02-02 15:38:06

broadwayghost1 said: "How long will Andrew be in the show? I have tickets for a Wednesday matinee in July."

Who knows...If he has a voice left by then

Posted by broadwayghost1 2019-02-03 14:22:24

Thanks for the info. Telecharge let me exchange my tickets for the night performance.

Posted by Will3700 2019-02-03 20:01:35

I have tickets for August 17 Saturday night and was also wondering if he’d still be in the cast. I thought I read somewhere that he mentioned taking a year out of his life for this role That would suggest thru the end of this year. Anyone know ???

Posted by BroadwayNoob 2019-02-03 21:36:46

Contracts for people in shows last a year so unless he has to leave early for something, I'd expect him to be here until next January

Posted by LesWickedly 2019-02-03 22:00:35

I’ve heard he’s only contracted through the Summer so time will tell.

Posted by bfreak 2019-02-03 22:17:25

Do you know how far into the Summer? Looking to get tix

Posted by JSquared2 2019-02-03 22:17:51

LesWickedly said: "I’ve heard he’s only contracted through the Summer so time will tell. "

You heard wrong, Blanche. 

Posted by LesWickedly 2019-02-03 22:48:11

JSquared2 said: "LesWickedly said: "I’ve heard he’s only contracted through the Summer so time will tell. "

You heard wrong, Blanche.
"

Didn’t claim it was official. If you know please inform us. 

Posted by (Insert Clever Name) 2019-02-03 23:36:53

Because he is only 16 I would hope they only contracted him for 6 months to see if his voice holds up... the role destroyed Ben Platt who is way older than 16

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-02-04 14:06:40

bwaylinds said: "musicals1989 said: "RWPrincess said: "I asked this question a couple days ago as well. Here in the US, there is usually a child guardian and an understudy at theater so I’ve been wondering if Michael Lee Brown is backstage when Andrew performs. I do not know what the cutoff age is though for someone to require a child guardian."

http://www.playbill.com/article/ask-playbillcom-child-actors-on-broadway-com-148947

This article states "And, even on Broadway, for a performer who's under 16, the show is required to hire a supervisor for the child to be at the theatre at every performance." so it would appear not"

Thanks for posting this article. Everything I've read so far about Andrew makes it seem like the show is overprotective of him. So I wonder if they may have a guardian anyhow even though he's already 16. At least for the first contract.

Posted by Mike Barrett 2019-02-04 14:23:14

I wonder if he has a guardian mainly because of the severity of this role. They know the damage it has done to other performers and I think its great if they are doing all they can to protect him and his voice. No idea, but just my guess. Its also an emotionally taxing role for a 16 year old, so I feel having a guardian in this specific scenario makes sense. 

Posted by Mike Barrett 2019-02-04 14:23:15

I wonder if he has a guardian mainly because of the severity of this role. They know the damage it has done to other performers and I think its great if they are doing all they can to protect him and his voice. No idea, but just my guess. Its also an emotionally taxing role for a 16 year old, so I feel having a guardian in this specific scenario makes sense. 

Posted by bwaylinds 2019-02-04 16:45:18

He already called out yesterday because he was sick. Yikes.

Posted by LuPita2 2019-02-04 17:51:59

It's Winter, he's around germy teenagers all day, plus traveling into the city five days a week...Give the kid a break.  

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-02-05 02:36:47

https://twitter.com/andrewbfeldman/status/1092242715398602753

Posted by FlyHigh523 2019-02-05 15:00:23

bwaylinds said: "He already called out yesterday because he was sick. Yikes."

I personally don’t think this is cause for concern. The weather around here has been absolutely insane (it was 2 degrees last week and now it’s 60 degrees) which can cause people to get sick. I think he’s fine. Plus he’s 16. I’m sure he has a vocal coach and others helping him. I can’t wait to see him in the summer. 

Posted by Call_me_jorge 2019-02-05 15:15:53

Is he really having to travel into the city? I’m surprised he’s not being set up in somewhere near the theatre and being taught by a tutor.