WAKE UP with BroadwayWorld - Thursday, March 20, 2014 - ALADDIN Glides Onto the Great White Way, ACT ONE Begins and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? For your most important theatre meal of the day, we've rounded up the big news you missed yesterday, what's on the agenda today, and a few extras to start your day off right.
Cup of Joe: Perk up and revisit yesterday's big stories...
- The official 2014 Tony Awards calendar was revealed!
- Powerhouse singer Lea Michele performed "On My Way" from her debut solo album "Louder" on ELLEN.
- We learned that fellow GLEE star Jane Lynch will make her 54 Below debut this June.
- Broadway dimmed its lights last night in honor of MAN OF LA MANCHA composer Mitch Leigh, who passed away on March 16 at the age of 86.
- The FROZEN soundtrack is sticking like a tongue on a flagpole to the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200 for the sixth week in a row; plus, Idina Menzel's performance of "Let It Go" makes her the first Tony-winning actress with a Billboard Top 10 hit!
- Daniel Radcliffe revealed he wants "to do a big film musical" (Yes, please!)
- Broadway's Billy Crystal and Josh Gad are set to star in the TV series THE COMEDIANS on FX.
The Bacon: See what's on the griddle today...
- Make way! ALADDIN opens on Broadway tonight!
- ACT ONE brings Moss Hart back to Broadway, with previews beginning tonight. The show stars Santino Fontana, Tony Shalhoub, Andrea Martin and more.
- SAG and BWW's Career Conversations series continues today with the sultry stars of THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, Kelli O'Hara and Steven Pasquale!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Singing our space songs on a spider web sitar/Life is around you and in you/Answer for Timothy Leary, dearie/Let the sunshine/ Let the sunshine in... Mostly sunny with a high of 52. The temperature is climbing! Rejoice!
What we're listening to: Gwyneth Paltrow and Kristin Chenoweth's cover of Pharrell Williams' oscar-nominated tune "Happy" for GLEE's 100th episode. (Also see this adorable and just-as-professional elementary school choir version).
Quote of the Day: As a performer, you might know the lines, but the audience changes their meaning nightly...
Video of the Day: Yesterday you belted along with "A Whole New World" (don't lie, we know you did), so today, let's "make way" for ALADDIN's Broadway opening!
And finally, a happy birthday shout-out to Christy Carlson Romano, known by many as 'Ren' from Disney's "Even Stevens", as well as the lead in the animated series "Kim Possible". Romano, who turns 30 today, started her entertainment career onstage in national touring productions of Annie, The Sound of Music and more. She has appeared on Broadway in Avenue Q, Parade and Beauty and the Beast.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!