2017 Summer Shakespeare Intensive with Prague Shakespeare Company
Join the master teachers and continental Europe's premiere English-language classical theatre: Prague Shakespeare Company for four weeks of transformational classical theater training and mentorship, while immersing yourself in one of the most picturesque and culturally rich cities in old Europe. This Summer Shakespeare Intensive will culminate in performances of a four Shakespeare plays featured as part of Prague Shakespeare Company's 2017 Season especially created for participants, performed in the heart of Prague.
The 2017 SSI productions include an Original Pronunciation season of three plays - led by the world's foremost Original Pronunciation expert David Crystal and Eric Rassmussen - Richard II starring Ben Crystal and Matthew Davies directed by Robert Gander, Romeo and Juliet directed by Steve Urkowitz and a gender flipped Midsummer Night's Dream directed by Lisa Wolpe in addition to a Shakespeare TBA directed by Irwin Appel. Students last summer acted in Richard III at Prague Castle (see event photo of SSI 2016 students Josette Nordman and Caroline Chu pictured left) in addition to Love's Labor's Lost at Divadlo Kolowrat.THE INSTRUCTORS
Professional Master Teachers from around the World, including among others:
- Guy Roberts, Artistic Director, Prague Shakespeare Company
- Paul Prescott, Associate Director, Global Shakespeare & University of Warwick
- Dennis Krausnick, Director of Training, Shakespeare & Company
- Lisa Wolpe, Actor, Director, Artistic Director - Los Angeles Women's Shakespeare Company
- David Crystal OBE FBA, Author, Linguist & world's foremost Original Pronunciation expert
- Linda Gates, Head of Voice, Northwestern University
- Nancy Bishop, Casting Director CSA, over forty films including Casino Royale, Narnia, Mission Impossible
- Irwin Appel, Director BFA Actor Training, UC Santa Barbara; Actor, Director, Composer/Sound Designer, graduate of The Juilliard School
- Eric Rasmussen, Folio Expert, Professor, Author & Co-Editor The RSC Complete Works of Shakespeare
- Ben Crystal, Actor & Director - Passion In Practice
- Rupesh Tillu, Master Clown & Clowns Without Borders
- Petr N?sek, Master Fight Director, ARGO
- Jeffrey Mills, Actor, Movement Specialist, Fight Director & theatre professor - DePaul University
- Gregory Gudgeon, Shakespeare's Globe & Royal Shakespeare Company
- Andrea Miltnerová, Baroque Dance Specialist, National Theatre of the Czech Republic
- Matthew Davies, Actor & Director - American Shakespeare Center; Associate Artist - Actors From The London Stage
- Kiara Pipino, Master Teacher & Artistic Director - Festival Internazionale Valle Christi
- Julie Fishell, 20 year member of Playmaker's Rep (actor & director); theatre professor - UNC Chapel Hill; graduate of The Juilliard School
- Jim Johnson, Dialect Specialist - University of Houston
- Robert Gander, Director & Professor - University of Nevada, Reno
- Carolyn Johnson, Actor, Vocal Specialist & Director
- Steven Urkowitz, Author, Director & Professor - City College of New York
THE PROGRAMShakespeare ~ Voice ~ Fight ~ Physical Theatre ~ Clown ~ Mask
Classes are Monday through Friday from 10am to 4pm with Fridays reserved for one-on-one tutorials and Master Classes. Master Classes with leading members of US, UK and European stages are held every week. Rehearsals for the PSC 2017 Season production are Monday through Friday from 6pm-10pm. All weekends are off (except the last) so you can enjoy Prague and the Czech Republic!
- BUILD your understanding and mastery of playing Shakespeare's great poetry on stage, through performance of some of the greatest Shakespearean characters and scenes
- DEEPEN your range, strength and personal connection to your voice through the detailed voice, text and speech work
- STUDY with Czech fight masters and stunt experts - working hand to hand and armed combat
- EXPAND your physical acting vocabulary through explorations of Puppetry, Mask, Clown and other European Physical Theatre traditions
- STRENGTHEN your resume with a professional Prague Shakespeare Company 2017 Season credit
- ENJOY theater, opera, dance and music events throughout the city (tickets provided at optional charge)
- VISIT the great historical Prague sights including Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, Charles Bridge, Alchemy Museum, and the Astronomical Clock of old town square
- GAIN valuable professional advice from one-on-one PSC actor-mentors
- PLAY in one of the most dynamic night-life cultures in the world
HOW TO APPLY - Serious Training for Serious Students
Email the following materials to email@example.com:
- Picture and Resume
- Letter of Recommendation from University level theater instructor or professional mentor
- 150 word personal statement
- Audition in person or via video submission. One two-minute Shakespeare monologue required.
Accepted Students will be notified no later than one week after submission about decision.
Great Training and Great Travel for a Great Price
- Tuition - $2,960 / 75000CZK
- Room & Board - $2,490 / 63000CZK (single room accommodation in flat share with other participants and daily lunch and dinner provided on all workshop days). Students may elect to have a private studio flat for an additional fee of $750 / 19000CZK and to upgrade the meal plan to have daily lunch and dinner for the entire month-long Intensive for an additional fee of $300 / 7600CZK
- Optional Theatre Tickets - $270 / 6850CZK (6 performances from PSC, the National Theatre & other top Czech theatres)
- Optional Weekend Trip to Cesky Krumlov - $325 / 8250CZK (including transport, lodging, daily breakfast & dinner, Revolving Theatre tickets & tour of the world's oldest operating Baroque theatre)
- Payment by check or credit card (through the secure PSC website) accepted. Students are responsible for travel and other meals. Students will be met at the airport, and assisted in local travel.
Financial Assistance: Prague Shakespeare Company, a not-for-profit organization, is committed to developing the finest generation of up and coming classic artists. Two (2) major scholarships will be awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional talent at their audition and require financial assistance. In addition to our highly competitive major scholarships, up to four (4) smaller awards are available to those individuals not chosen for major funding. Students wishing to be considered for financial assistance must submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words detailing need. Decisions on financial aid will be made no later than one month after the request is received and are final.
To APPLY TODAY contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.