Page: 1

2008 Yankees

Jim Colyer Profile PhotoJim Colyer Profile Photo
Jim Colyer
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
2008 Yankees#1
Posted: 3/28/08 at 8:40pm
Joe Torre is a great baseball man and will be missed, but new manager Joe Girardi is a good choice for his successor. Girardi was a member of the great team of the late 1990s. He knows what it means to win as a Yankee and, like Torre, was a catcher who knows how to handle pitchers. And pitching is the key to this club with young phenoms Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy and Joba Chamberlain. I was afraid they were going to sacrifice Phil Hughes for Santana. That would have been a mistake. The Yankees have their ace in Chien-Ming Wang, a 19-game-winner the last two years. Veterans Andy Pettitte and Mike Mussina round out the rotation with 451 regular season victories between them. Pettitte is a "true Yankee."

The infield is solid. A-Rod is looking forward to another great year at third, and I am impressed by the hard play of Shelley Duncan in spring training. Hopefully, he will get his chance at first base.

There is some concern about an aging outfield. Johnny Damon has had second thoughts. Matsui and Abreu continue to be strong RBI men. We shall see how much they have left.

2008 is the last year for the old Stadium. There will be memories and emotions. The All-Star Game will be played in the Bronx. Girardi is wearing number 27 on his jersey, leaving no doubt as to his mission, to lead the New York Yankees to their 27th World Championship.

New York Yankees
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#2
Posted: 3/28/08 at 8:53pm
I'll be there on Monday. This will be my 25th consecutive Opening Day.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Mandi Moo Profile PhotoMandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#2
Posted: 3/28/08 at 9:16pm
I have to work in the scene shop here at school from 1-5 on Monday. I'm pissed.
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#3
Posted: 3/28/08 at 9:29pm
Will the Yankees be able to buy another Championship this year? How exciting...
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

timote316
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#4
Posted: 3/28/08 at 11:32pm
As a Red Sox fan, I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment of Joe Girardi. I can easily see him becoming one of the best managers in the game in no time at all, based on what he did with Florida a few seasons ago.

I never thought I'd see this happen again: this season's Sox/Yankees dogfight will come down to home-grown talent for both squads. This season's battle is shaping up to be one for the ages (and for those of you who are tired of the Sox/Yankees rivalry.... suck it up :-P)
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#5
Posted: 3/29/08 at 12:09am
Girardi seems to have all the skill to be a good coach, but we'll have to wait & see how he handles the pressure that is unique to being the manager of the Yankees.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
Testing1232 Profile PhotoTesting1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#6
Posted: 3/29/08 at 10:48pm
The Yanks better hope that Wang wins 20, or they will have a tough time. Their lineup will all by guarantee them a good season, but they might have a tough time getting to the playoffs this year.

Mussina and Pettite are up there in years, and then you have the two kids at the back end of the rotation. I see a lot of high scoring games for the Yanks this year.

As a Met fan, I expect the opposite--- like the staff a lot, but not that crazy about the lineup, especially with Alou hurt. I think the team is going to have a tough time against lefties this year. Front four of the rotation could be best in baseball.
liotte Profile Photoliotte Profile Photo
liotte
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 2008 Yankees#7
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:32pm
I have my season tickets again, looking forward to my first game in a few days!!!
slimandslam Profile Photoslimandslam Profile Photo
slimandslam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 2008 Yankees#8
Posted: 3/31/08 at 12:56pm
Joe Girardi will not last long as Yankee manager. He'll probably lead the team to good results - they've got too much talent to miss - but his legacy from his one season as manager of the Marlins was (a) a completely dysfunctional relationship with the front office, and (b) a bunch of talented young pitchers whose careers were left in ruins thanks to Girardi's overuse.

Let's see what we've got in the Bronx... hands-on front office? Check.

Talented young pitchers? Check.

There may be short-term success, but if I had money to invest, I'd invest in a steel company, because someone will have to supply the rail that Girardi will be run out of town on. Over/under for that: 2010-2011 offseason.
Jim Colyer Profile PhotoJim Colyer Profile Photo
Jim Colyer
Broadway Star
Broadway Star