Page: 1

Just read Obama's speech

BkCollector
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Just read Obama's speech#1
Posted: 3/20/08 at 2:12pm
It is MLK, Lincoln, History Book quality.

I wept.

Wow.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#2
Posted: 3/20/08 at 2:16pm
I don't think any of us disagree that it's a great speech. I don't know that I would equate it with MLK or Lincoln, but I'm sure an argument can be made. Did I weep? Oh God no. Lord.

I don't think any of us with brains and a basic knowledge of black history and an ability to tackle immense nuance have a problem with this. It's the people in this country that do not possess those things that worry me. Who will buy into the fear.
mejusthavingfun Profile Photomejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#2
Posted: 3/20/08 at 2:32pm
Well this time some people bought into black. Millions had donated to support this man and voted for him. Suggesting that he may not be electable because he is a black man is no reason to deny him the nomination.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#3
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:34pm
Nowhere did I say he wouldnt be elected because of his race.
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 03:34 PM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#4
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:38pm
Me neither.
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#5
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:41pm
Does anyone have a link to the COMPLETE video of this speech, not just the sound bites? Thanks.
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#6
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:46pm
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#7
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:51pm
Thanks very much, mrMidwest. I hate sound bites and missed this speech when it was delivered.
amalou Profile Photoamalou Profile Photo
amalou
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Just read Obama's speech#8
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:04pm
I personally found the speech very moving. That is how a president is supposed to speak. You can tell by watching a politician deliver a speech and know if they actually believe what they are saying or not. You can see he does.

This is my favorite:

Jon Stewart: "so...at 11:00 on a Tuesday, a prominent politician spoke to Americans about race, as though they were adults."
"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 08:04 PM
violet72 Profile Photoviolet72 Profile Photo
violet72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#9
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:32pm
Jon Stewart: "so...at 11:00 on a Tuesday, a prominent politician spoke to Americans about race, as though they were adults."

that was so funny..I love the daily show...did you see last night when he had the soundbite about the news media dragging this even more then they had someone from Fox news critisize the speech cause he read it off a teleprompter....
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"
amalou Profile Photoamalou Profile Photo
amalou
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Just read Obama's speech#10
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:42pm
^ yeah I saw that! That was funny hehe
"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."
soapguy17 Profile Photosoapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#11
Posted: 3/20/08 at 11:49pm
I almost cried, and I'm a pro-hilary as they get.
I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#12
Posted: 3/21/08 at 8:11am
David Gergen also commented about Obama being unique as a politician in that he speaks to people like adults. The rest of the panel of pundits agreed with him.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#13
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:07am
It was a good speech, and I agreed with the majority of it.

That said, I hope it doesn't do much to alter his chances at the nomination one way or the other. It was all rhetoric. He says a lot of good, friendly things about change that I think almost everyone agrees with, but I rarely hear him discuss how he intends to make these changes happen.

ETA: Did it bother anyone else that he mispronounced "irrevocably"?
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
Updated On: 3/21/08 at 10:07 AM
Urban Profile PhotoUrban Profile Photo
Urban
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#14
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:51am
The thing about MLK & Lincoln's famous speeches was they where not that particularly long - they had punch but not that great length. This just rambled a bit too long to be up there with them.
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#15
Posted: 3/21/08 at 1:49pm
Yeah, it definitely could've been tightened up a bit. I'm just glad he didn't give a speech that coddled white people and ignored the racial issues that still need to be dealt with in America.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Just read Obama's speech#16
Posted: 3/21/08 at 3:49pm
What stood out to me when he alluded to fact that the most separated hour of the week occurs each Sunday morning.

That's a euphemism for the old saying I heard growing up down south of "we don't lay and pray with 'em".

The guy never ceases to amaze or inspire me. Here we have a "half-white" man who was raised primarily by his white family; who attended some of the best schools in the nation; who in turn married a black woman by American standards and has made an tremendous effort to embrace all aspects of "her" culture.

The kicker for me is the story of Obama's deceased mom. I have often wondered what that woman must to have been subjected to for loving and giving a son to a black African when she did.

Similarly, I wonder how Hillary's life would have been different had she married and given a daughter to a black man instead of Bill. Hillary btw is only 5 years younger than Obama's mom would have been had she lived to see this great day.
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 3/21/08 at 03:49 PM