Is aspergers the same as retardation?

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile PhotoSpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is aspergers the same as retardation?#1
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:13pm
I recieved this two days ago

All right Andy, I'll prove to you that you are indeed retarded, although I believe you won't understand what I'm going to say because you are, well, retarded.

At Thesaurus.com, synonyms for retardation include: amentia, brain damage, dementia, mental defect, mental deficiency, subnormality.

Now, you have Asperger Syndrome, commonly refered to as AS. From that article on wikipedia, they say that

"Abnormal migration of embryonic cells during fetal development may affect the final structure and connectivity of the brain, resulting in alterations in the neural circuits that control thought and behavior."

Now, let me dumb it down for you.

From the wikipedia site: Abnormal [...] alterations [...] that control thought and behavior.

This is AS.

My list of synonyms for retardation includes "Mental Defect"

A synonym for defect is abnormal. You are, in the very definition of the word, a retard.

If you agree or disagree feel free to message him via facebook at

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=612541872
He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:15pm
Ah, Wikipedia. The great source of authority. Selectively edited Wikipedia? Even better!
A work of art is an invitation to love.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:16pm
One should not use the thesaurus or Wikipedia for medical explanations! I believe Asperger's is a form of autism, not a form of retardation.
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#3
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:16pm
I feel this guy is a moron.
He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#4
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:18pm
it's on the spectrum of autism.
one of the diagnostic criteria is that the person's IQ is over 70.
it's not the same as mental retardation.
mental retardation is measured by IQ.
autistic disorders are diagnosed based on symptoms.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#5
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:21pm
It's possible for people who have Asperger's to have mental retardation, but having Asperger's does not mean you have mental retardation. He's just someone who feels threatened by you and needs to invent ways to try to make himself seem better than you to restore his self-esteem. Sorry you have to deal with this idiot.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 11:21 PM
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#6
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:24pm
It's possible for people who have Asperger's to have mental retardation

no, it isn't.

mental retardation is when someone's IQ is under 70.
for a diagnosis of aspergers, the person's IQ has to be OVER 70.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#7
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:33pm
Abba, I am probably wrong based on current diagnosis of mental retardation. You have much more experience than I do. I was going by a memory I had of working with a child with Autism, but the human memory is a funny thing. I'll be sure to double check.

I do highly disagree with the current way of testing for intelligence. I follow an adapted theory of multiple intelligences. Someone could argue that on the basis of multiple intelligences much of society could be considered mentally retarded in specific intelligences. It was on that basis that I considered someone with Autism could have it, but then again that is not the way testing is done.
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 11:33 PM
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#8
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:37pm
Wow. Asperger's is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, whereas Mental Retardation is a different sort altogether.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
christhefish Profile Photochristhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#9
Posted: 3/15/08 at 12:27am
John Elder Robinson's book - Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Aspergers, is a great book if you are looking to read into it a little more.
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#10
Posted: 3/15/08 at 12:38am
It's not about Asperger's specifically, but "Autism is a World" is a great documentary as well if you are interested in learning more about Autism Spectrum Disorders.
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#11
Posted: 3/15/08 at 12:41am
"mozart and the whale"

i hated it but everyone in this aspie group i went to loved it.

edit: refering to the book... i have not seen the movie and have no desire to.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful

Updated On: 3/15/08 at 12:41 AM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#12
Posted: 3/15/08 at 1:00am
My father works in the world of learning differences and things of this nature. I too find it very interesting as well. Aspergers is on what is called the autism spectrum. People with Aspergers can be very intelligent. For example, I know someone who has aspergers who is AMAZING at math.

My dad opened up his own practice where he does educational evaluations that were created by someone name Dr. Mel Levine. My dad worked for Levine's non profit in NYC and ran the evaluation branch of his organization. Then when they shut down the evaluation clinic my dad too his work and opened up his own office.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#13
Posted: 3/15/08 at 2:15am
The Commonwealth of Virginia just voted to eradicate the words mental retardation from any printed document. The term will be replaced by the more appropriate intellectual disability.

And, as everyone else has said, Aspergers has nothing to do with intellectual disability.
Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#14
Posted: 3/15/08 at 3:34am
"it's on the spectrum of autism.
autistic disorders are diagnosed based on symptoms."

As for the above post....yes. That is a good explanation. I dated someone who had a young son with AS and he was nowhere near retarded....very bright, actually. He just had some behavior issues that were tough to deal with.
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
Lorelai Profile PhotoLorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#15
Posted: 3/15/08 at 3:34am
"it's on the spectrum of autism.
autistic disorders are diagnosed based on symptoms."

As for the above post....yes. That is a good explanation. I dated someone who had a young son with AS and he was nowhere near retarded....very bright, actually. He just had some behavior issues that were tough to deal with.
(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#16
Posted: 3/15/08 at 3:38am
What is the difference between Autism and Mental Retardation?

Most people with mental retardation show relatively even skill development, while individuals with autism typically show uneven skill development with deficits in certain areas - most frequently in their abililty to communicate and relate to others - and distinct skills in other areas. It is important to distinguish autism from mental retardation or other disorders since diagnostic confusion may result in referral to inappropriate and ineffective treatment techniques.

http://www.autismuk.com/index10.htm
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
sweetestsiren Profile Photosweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#17
Posted: 3/15/08 at 5:10am
That guy definitely is a moron. What kind of sources are Wikipedia and the thesaurus when it comes to mental disorders? And the faultiness of his logic kind of blows my mind.

Autism spectrum disorders (one of which is Asperger's syndrome) are, as shira said, pervasive developmental disorders that are most notably characterized by abnormalities in social interactions. People with autistic disorder quite often have some degree of accompanying mental retardation, but Asperger's is different in that language development and cognitive abilities aren't impaired -- meaning that there isn't significant mental retardation. So no, not only are they not the same thing, they're on two totally different axes of diagnosis.
Updated On: 3/15/08 at 05:10 AM
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#18
Posted: 3/15/08 at 11:11am
Because of the way IQ tests are administered, and because of the way that autistic people process external stimuli, I believe it can be difficult to obtain a reliable IQ number. Many of the documented savants in math and music have been autistic.
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#19
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:25pm
You're in good mentally retarded company if you have AS.

Bill Gates, Bobby Fischer, Charles Schulz, Isaac Asimov and Jim Henson were among many others listed on AS support sites.
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#20
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:31pm
So, 187 people said I'm not retarded and 1 just did? People are amazing.
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#21
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:37pm
was the point of this topic that you wanted us to tell you how smart you are, or was it that you wanted us to tell your facebook friend he was wrong?
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful

LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:53pm
Updated On: 1/24/09 at 07:53 PM
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#23
Posted: 3/15/08 at 7:57pm
Exactly.

Some of history's most brilliant minds have or are believed to have had Aspergers.
oohshizz146 Profile Photooohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is aspergers the same as retardation?#24
Posted: 3/16/08 at 12:38am
You really shouldnt be posting facebook links on this site, or any site. You are putting that person in danger, as well as yourself. We all know where you go to school now...not so smart (I mean, I'm not gonna rape you. But you shouldnt be so trusting online)
"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson