Bought my Macbook finally! Why can't I keep a connection??

Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For some reason, my Macbook doesn't want to keep a connection. My other laptop (old old old laptop) was able to keep a connection just fine, so I don't know what's up with it.

Sometimes my Macbook decides to work and others it decides not to--like 5 minutes ago, when I was sitting when I was sitting literally about 2 minutes away from the router.

I'm wondering if our wireless connection is being affected due to the fact that our network is unsecured. We don't have a password or anything protecting it. Could this affect it?

If that probably isn't the case, is there a way to improve the signal strength?
"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You can't keep a connection because you're emotionally unavailable and self-absorbed. Also, you're fat.

<3 <3 <3
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think that being on an unsecured network or how close you are to the router is your problem. If you had a connection with your other computer and it did not happen, it should not happen with this one. You might have to zap your PRAM and see if that helps. You should also repair your permissions.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How do I do either of those things? Thank you :).
"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One thing I wondered about is this-if your network is unsecured, isn't it possible that so many people are using it that it makes the connection weaker ? (for everyone, including you.)
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Or just do a spotlight search for "Disk Utility"
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To repair Permissions go into your utilities folder and run the Disk Utility program. Once it has started you will see a button that says Repair Permissions, just click on it and wait for the Permissions to be repaired.

To zap the PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Some people will actually let the startup sound chime three times before releasing the keys.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This should not be causing the problem but what kind of router do you have? I'm pretty sure that your new Macbook has 802.11n wireless and I assume that your router has 802.11a, b or g. You Macbook should be backward compatible but it was just something that came to mind.
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Netgear MR814 802.11b Wireless 4-Port Cable/DSL Router.

I'm trying to do the Repair Disk Permissions right now. It's finally getting somewhere. It said "Estimated time: less than 1 minute" for about 5 minutes--but now it's finally getting somewhere. I'll let you know what happens!
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"It said "Estimated time: less than 1 minute" for about 5 minutes--but now it's finally getting somewhere."

That's normal actually.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your laptop may not be optimized for a wireless B router. It's kind oflike the Windows 98 or 2000 of wireless technology. I would recomend upgrading to a wireless g or n router.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 12:59 AM
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No luck re: Bought my Macbook finally! Why can't I keep a connection??.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 01:09 AM
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you zap the PRAM also?
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I did. :-/
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can you try and connect via the ethernet port to be sure that it's not a computer problem? If you stay connected via a hardwire connection then you can have a better idea what you are dealing with.
Parks
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just used my brother's ethernet cable and it worked fine--iChat even stayed connected.

My Macbook will rarely allow me to browse in Safari, but it WILL NOT stay connected on iChat.
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay so it's obviously something to do with your router/wireless connection. If you can stay connected with the ethernet cable I don't see it being a problem with the laptop itself. Try another router and see if you experience the same problem.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 01:33 AM
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One more thing, outside of a possible router problem, you may want to ensure that your airport card is seated properly. Check your manual to see how to access the card and see if it's properly seated. I doubt that this is the problem but if all else fails it's something that you can try.

I would also carry my laptop to someplace else that has a wireless connection and see if you experience the same problems there.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 01:43 AM
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I am SO one of the technological impaired....

but I just love techie threads.....

Pab you never cease to amaze me
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I bought a new computer recently and had to upgrade from a wireless B router to a wireless G router in order to maintain a connection.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Tom1071 Profile PhotoTom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If your network is not secured my a password, others can jump on your network and steal your bandwidth which can weaken you signal and cause it to drop from time to time.

Also, if you just bought the MacBook you do have three months of support help over the phone. Why are you wasting time trying to get help through this chat board? It would be a lot fast just to call Mac support. How tedious.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 12:01 PM
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Why are you wasting time trying to get help through this chat board? It would be a lot fast just to call Mac support. How tedious."

Do you really think that Mac support is going to tell him to try something different? You don't really have a clue what experience the people on as chat board might have to make such a statement.
Tom1071
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A little touchy, aren't you pab?

I said nothing about your experience or knowledge. But it's probably taking twice as long for him to troubleshoot/fix the issue while he waits for you to respond and tell him what to try. Mac support could at least talk him through it while he is on the phone with them. It's what there there for. They are being paid to help.

Relax!
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 12:45 PM
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't expect that Parks is a fool. If he had wanted to call Mac support I'm sure he would have.
Tom1071
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Then I suspect he completely lacks common sense.