Clinton Mocks Obama - "The Sky Will Open, The Light Will Come Down"

StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can we please have a real debate on this...no mudslinging.

It's a very interesting clip.

But will this tactic work on voters? Or will they see it as a desperate attempt to quell Obama's momentum?

Here
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Updated On: 2/24/08 at 04:41 PM
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's in the rec center at my school. I didn't attend but I'll be interested to see what classmates who did attend have to say on Monday.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
TheHumanTorch Profile PhotoTheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
before i say what i think about that performance, i'm legitimately curious about her position on special interest groups. I know that she takes special interest money and has said on various occasions that both special interest groups are the voice of the people and also that she has been in the politics business so long that it would be crazy for anyone to think that a special interest group could sway her. Does anyone know the context of this video and the point she was trying to make about special interests themselves?
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My issue isn't that Clinton makes comments like that against Obama, that seems like normal political discourse.
The thing that turns me off about it, it that it also doubles as a slam against anyone who supports Obama, the "if you support Obama, you are delusional" meme, that bothers me. And it does nothing but push me farther into Obama's camp.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Obama takes money from credit-card companies, his second largest bloc of contributors.

I think it's brilliant: She doesn't attack Obama--she attacks his supporters. She attracts the rational middle to vote for her, the people who've been noticing that Obama supporters are like Scientologists or Jehovah's Witnesses.
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"She doesn't attack Obama--she attacks his supporters."

I don't think that's smart at all. Trying to get them to vote for her by attacking them? Not brilliant.

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not them. They're lost causes. Part of the Cult.

She attracts the Undecideds who are creeped out by the vehemence of the Cultists.

And she doesn't have to attack Obama, which only backfires on her.

Finally. Brilliant.
TheHumanTorch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree Priest... why would an Obama supporter all of a sudden switch to her team if she so theatrically declares them delusional and misguided? How is attacking hope with cynicism and attacking the American public a winning strategy?

And i am completely serious in asking what her position on special interests is...
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's a bogus qiuestion. Obama is her worse on "special interests."

The biggest reason I haven't switched to him is that ugly connection to the credit card companies. I detest them and I hate that he takes so much money from them and voted AGAINST capping the credit card rates.
TheHumanTorch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i haven't made a single statement regarding Obama and special interests and I am aware of the issue with credit cards.

The question is what is HER plan, what is HER position. For being the only qualified candidate and for being the only candidate with specifics and plans she should have a position on special interest groups of which her supporters are aware, right?
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, PJ, I'll put myself in the rational middle section of people, because I've been going back and forth between the two for the past few months. I've been pretty sure for the last few weeks that I'm going to vote for Obama, but over the last few days I've been getting more undecided, even moving towards Clinton. I was even leaning towards filling out my absentee ballot today for Clinton and mailing it in tomorrow.

After watching this, though, she succeeded in taking that thought out of my head and making me decide to wait to mail in my ballot.

As I've said before, I think they are both equally qualified so it all comes down to the intangibles for me. Before watching this clip, if I had to fill out my ballot today I think I would have actually voted for Clinton after her performance in the last debate. But, after watching that clip, if I had to fill out my ballot today, I wouldn't hesitate to vote Obama.

So, in trying to get this undecided Texas voter, it certainly wasn't brilliant.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I get the whole "messiah" joke and all. But I doubt that Obama has ever said, or even implied, that his job, should be be voted in, would be easy.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Some people become passionate about their candidate. After suffering through seven years of Bush a lot of people are excited about moving forward. I think it's more constructive to bring more people into the process than to criticize them for their passion. There are quite a number of people equally as passionate about Clinton, McCain and Huckabee. A lot of that has just not been reported. Obama, in the eyes of the media, is a rock star and they focus on that aspect of his candidacy. He has made his positions on many policy matters known and if people are really curious about where he stands, on issues, you can find that out all over the web. As this process is coming to a close and people see that Clinton and Obama are very close on most policy items, the thing that might be the distinguishing factor is that cult of personality. People should not forget the cult of personality that was around Ronald Reagan when he ran in 1980.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really like this comment below the video:

"I was sitting around this afternoon trying to figure out why this behavior angers me so much. I mean, like everyone else, I've lived through 8 years of being insulted by the Republicans for my beliefs and concerns and opinions. I've lived through 8 years of mocking and frat boy jeers, and being told I'm not a patriot and not a real American and that a President only represents the people that voted for him and it doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks. So why after 8 years of that does *this* bug me?

And it's because I've lived through 8 years of this from the Republicans. It never occurred to me that Democrats would use the exact same tactics to try to destroy other Democrats. Even the Republicans, in all their disarray, have managed to behave respectfully toward one another in this regard. McCain isn't wandering around saying that Huckabee's supporters are delusional and making fun of them for voting for the person who inspires them and who they want to see become President.

Obama has not once said anything negative about Clinton supporters. I am *tired* of being demonized and disdained for my political beliefs and preferences. THAT is a Roveian tactic, and while not a lot shocks me, I have to say that I am shocked that this is coming from a Democrat, toward Democratic voters. I thought that a Democrat in office would mean that at the very least, that part of the past 8 years would be over, but Clinton and her supporters are making it clear that they're basically threatening to scorch the earth and do everything they can to keep Obama from succeeding if he gets the nomination, or beyond that, the Presidency. And yes, I find that frightening."

While Obama has certainly attacked Clinton at times, he hasn't ever attacked her supporters...supporters that, come the general election, will need to be his supporters and vice versa.

smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I feel exactly like Priest, I was very much in the middle, but attacking people who support Obama, calling them cultists like joey has here and the things that Clinton said, does not make me want to move in Clinton's direction at all.
"I am tired of being demonized for my political beliefs and preferences"- exactly
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh look PJ talking bull**** again . SUPRISE SUPRISE

Hillary Clinton is a poor substitute for her husband, and an even poorer possibility of a president.

oh and having her insult me in no way makes me want to vote for her, in fact all it does is make me want to vote AGAINST her if she gets the nomination.
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I will say there is some direct evidence that some Obama supporters are irrational and nonsensical in their hatred of Clinton.
That should not be used to attack all Obama supporters.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#17
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:12pm
she toned it down and mainstreamed it and i hate her for it! but i think it's her best chance of changing some minds. she has to hope that the obamanacs (and by this i only mean those who have truly drank the kool-aid and see him as the messiah) continue their quest to out-obnoxious the deaniacs (and by that i mean all of them).
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#18
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:14pm
It's a smart political move. The other smart move she's doing is allowing her "experience" claim to subsume his "change" claim. She's saying that her experience is the only that that could possibly lead to change. It's a very smart message, really. I get concerned that it is too little too late, though. I guess it depends how much the media wants this to be a real race.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#19
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:17pm
except her expierience is so minutely more than his it makes no difference. Didn't she join the senate like 2 years before him? Or is she including the 8 years as First Wife?
Updated On: 2/24/08 at 06:17 PM
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#20
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:18pm
I don't think its smart because it is too late, she needed to do something like this before people actually started really changing their minds.

I do agree with papa though the Obamians are as a whole entirely obnoxious.

The experience argument does nothing for me, especially considering McCain's experience which I certainly don't think means he would be a better President than a half eaten orange.
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#21
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:18pm
"It's a smart political move."

Except for the fact that people in this very thread who were leaning in her direction are now rethinking that position.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#22
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:19pm
I don't question the taste of others when it comes to their entertainment fare or politics. I'm acquainted with many otherwise rational and intelligent women who back Hillary solely because she lacks a penis.
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#23
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:33pm
As some of you talk of the Obamians, have you seen the McCaniacs?
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bitch stole my act#24
Posted: 2/24/08 at 6:37pm
bitch stole my act

bitch stole my act