best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's OSCAR day!!!!#1
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:22pm
Is anybody there? Does anybody care?

It's OSCAR day!!!!

The helicopters overhead haven't started in yet, but they will soon eough. This is a swell day for me, because I live so close to the Kodak Theatre. By noon it will sound just like a war zone overhead.

I guess I should be grateful it isn't a real war zone.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#2
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:24pm
I do care.
I love Oscar Day/night.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
GlindatheGood22  Profile PhotoGlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#2
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:42pm
I usually don't watch the Oscars, but since I loved Juno so much I'll watch tonight. No shot in hell it wins best picture, but I think Ellen Page has a chance for best actress and Diablo Cody might win best original screenplay.
I know you. I know you. I know you.
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#3
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:54pm
Oscar Sunday is one of two days of the year I spend the entire day watching E! Live Coverage. I always have a countdown to the day. This is the first year I don't find myself extremely excited about it. None of the movies really caught my attention this year. I'll still watch the awards of course, but I won't be on the edge of my seat for any of the categores.

Hopefully next year I'll get it back... it's so unlike me haha!
::bust a move::
Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#4
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:00pm
Sad to say, I'm much less interested than I've ever been before. Maybe it's because I'm just not rooting for any one actor or any one film this year. I don't know... it just seems so irrelevant. But I'll probably watch, or at least record it, just to see if anyone makes a horse's ass of themselves.
Express Yourself!
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#5
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:19pm
I always get so excited on Oscar day! I have rehearsal until 11 today, so I guess I'll be covering my ears until I can watch the TiVo late tonight.

I'm sad I can't be home watching the E! coverage right now!
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

BustopherPhantom Profile PhotoBustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#6
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:32pm
The Oscars is the only TV event I go out of my way to watch every year (Super Bowl doesn't do it for me).

As far as predictions go, I think JUNO has a chance at Best Picture, but ONLY if it wins Best Original Screenplay (very likely) and Best Leading Actress for Ellen Page (which might happen anyway if the vote is split between Julie Christie and Marion Cotillard).

Other possible surprises:

1. Tilda Swinton for Best Supporting Actress - Because the Academy might want to give MICHAEL CLAYTON something, considering all the good will built up for the picture.

2. Paul Thomas Anderson for Best Adapted Screenplay - Because the Academy might want to give THERE WILL BE BLOOD something, so that, in thirty years, when BLOOD is considered an American classic, the Academy won't be left out in the cold... again (remember CITIZEN KANE?).

3. The Bourne Ultimatum for Best Film Editing - Because it's very very flashy, and the Academy might feel uncomfortable about giving a psuedonym the Oscar.

4. Julian Schnabel for Best Director - Because his vision fills every frame of the movie. Don't count on it, though: if he does win, he'll make history as a Best Director for a film not nominated for Best Picture.
"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 2/24/08 at 01:32 PM
James885 Profile PhotoJames885 Profile Photo
James885
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#7
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:42pm
Very much looking forward to tonight's show. The Oscars and The Tonys pretty much the only award shows I get really excited for. I'm very curious to see who's gonna win Best Picture. It'll be interesting if No Country gets upset by TWBB, or one of the others. I personally would like to see Atonement win.
"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#8
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:52pm
I, personally, can not WAIT for the Pilobolis/Celine Dion tribute to Heath. There won't be a dry eye in the house.
PEACE.
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#9
Posted: 2/24/08 at 1:55pm
Oh, I love Oscar day/night. I'm not even particularly rooting for anyone, but I just love the spectacle of it all.
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#10
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:03pm
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the red carpet crap. It is total cheese. However, I hate that so much emphasis has been plaed on the designers and fashion. It is so rare that anyone really messes up anymore. Gone are the days of Bjork and Lara Flynn Boyle. Everyone is SO concerned they will end up on the worst dressed list no one takes any chances anymore. I want CHER!
PEACE.
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#11
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:04pm
I don't care. Used to be enjoyable, but I barely even go to the movies anymore. Jerry Seinfeld said it best.

"The truth is, that the comedians should be the only ones getting awards. We're the only ones who have to actually THINK of something original, funny, and interesting to say. You know how hard that is? You know how hard it was just to write what I am saying to you right now? It was hard. This took a long time. But we can do it. We can do it. I'm just sick of, you know, all these actors...and I don't know why we're so fascinated with actors in this culture. They don't have a thought in their stupid bedhead hairdo mini brain. 'WE MUST HONOUR THIS MAN!' 'Why?' 'HE PRETENDED TO BE BOB JOHNSON! HE'S A GENIUS I TELL YOU, IT'S GENIUS WHAT HE'S DOING!' Playing dress up and pretend is not genius, ladies and gentlemen. It's not genius. 'ROLL THE CAMERAS, PUT ON THESE CLOTHES, READY! STAND THERE AND SAY WHAT WE TOLD YOU TO SAY! FANTASTIC! HE DID IT! GIVE THIS MAN A HUGE GOLDEN TROPHY, HE'S A GOD DAMNED GENIUS!' Walking down the red carpet in these ridiculous outfits like they're Senators from Krypton, it's just so stupid."
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#12
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:09pm
Jealous Jerry. Never won an acting Emmy. He is just bitter. BITTER, I tell you!
PEACE.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#13
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:27pm
That has to be one of the most BITTER and weird things that shallow, pretentious, creepy ass ever said.

Never liked him. Truthfully.

But I'm not surprised he doesn't understand the power of "art." He doesn't understand "art" at all. Just power and money.

Granted, he's not ALONE in Hollywood, but he sure as hell doesn't "get" much beyond a 4-foot radius either.

*sigh*

That said, I'm not all that excited about the choices this year either. But I always get caught up in the crazy excitement of it all. I can't help it. It's like Christmas. The commerciality sucks, but the sentiment behind it is good, fun, and entertaining.

I just hope to GOD John Stewart doesn't tank the way he did last time. I love him, but he seemed so very out of place hosting! He was barely funny, stiff as a board and dull as dirt. Surprised the hell out of me.

And yet they asked him back! ...for a particularly uninvolving awards year that could have used all the help it could get.

Best of luck, pal. You're gonna NEED it.
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#14
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:30pm
I'm VERY excited!

Jerry Seinfeld is a skag.

And I like John Stewart, but he was a failure 2 years ago. I would rather see Ellen back.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Updated On: 2/24/08 at 02:30 PM
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#15
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:31pm
Some people find Christmas to be the holiest day of the year.
Some people find Yom Kippur to be the holiest day of the year.

I find Oscar Day to the be holiest day of the year. Reverance and attention must be paid!

ETA - what besty and munk said about Seinfeld.
....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 2/24/08 at 02:31 PM
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#16
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:34pm
I'm watching it to hang out with friends, eat and make fun of people we secretly envy.
What great ones do the less will prattle of
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#17
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:38pm
Tazzy, what are your holy rituals on Oscar Day?

The best part about this year is that even though it's on the whole not very involving as past years, even RECENT past years... there are a few categories that are not entirely "locked," which makes it fun.

I'm particularly interested in the female acting awards: The horse race (no insult intended) between Christie and Cotillard, and the "it could go any way" race for Supporting Actress.

Those will be fun to watch.

Plus any and all surprise-upsets are welcome. Bring 'em on! Jazz this up a bit.

re: It's OSCAR day!!!!
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#18
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:39pm
Couldn't agree more with Munk and Besty re Jerry Seinfeld, ugh.
Anyways, I am excited just like every year (and this year even more since for a second there I thought I'd have to kiss the ceremony good-bye). The wine is in the fridge, the snacks are ready to go, but I honestly wish I could be less excited about the ceremony and more excited about the choices.
I have no interest in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, don't actually hate it like I despised THE DEPARTED last year, but Best Picture???? As Besty said in another thread (and I paraphrase here), if that is the best picture of the year, then this must be the weakest year in film history.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#19
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:41pm
I have a sneaking suspicion that Christie will not win. I haven't cemented this thought...but I just have a feeling. My gut is telling me that Ellen Page will take it.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#20
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:43pm
Well it starts way before that sctual day with various designer fittings and the selection of my Oscar dress. besty. This year I got a late start due to the the strike, but I ended up with a beautiful Armani number and a Harry Winston diamond necklace.

I have my hair appt, and then of course I try to quell the butterflies in my stomach and just have a good time.
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#21
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:46pm
I hope you selected an appealing frock for this evening.
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#22
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:49pm
I'm gonna look fierce!

Originally I thought that Cotilliard would win, but I'm going with Christie now.

I am hoping for a Depp upset, but I know that's highly unlikely.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#23
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:51pm
LOL, ray.

When you quote me I sound like such an old fart.

If the smell fits, wear it, I guess. re: It's OSCAR day!!!!

I always like to come up with a fictional Oscar Day menu for snacks, gluttony and such... but I just haven't been motivated this year.

Here are a few, off the cuff:

There Will Be Blood Sausage
Ratatouille (DUH!)
Sweeney Todd's Meat Pies
No Country Omlette for Old Men
Into the Wild Mushroom Soup
The Bourne Ultimato Salad

See... SEE? They're lame. Just like this awards year.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's OSCAR day!!!!#24
Posted: 2/24/08 at 2:53pm
"This year I got a late start due to the the strike, but I ended up with a beautiful Armani number and a Harry Winston diamond necklace."

Okay, I need to see that, Tazzy. Cough up the pics!