Page: 1

Earliest memories?

nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Earliest memories?#1
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:03pm
This happened when I was in a car seat. I'm not sure how old I was, though. I just remember being stuck.

My mom, her friend and her son, and I went on a road trip to Arbuckle Wilderness, in Oklahoma. We were driving through the park with the car's top down and the moms got out to take pictures, leaving Chris and me in the car.

Then it happened. A great big giraffe stuck its head into the car and tried to eat us. I remember the animal and us screaming and crying. We were terrified.

I wish I had pictures.

So, yes, my earliest memory is of a boy-eating giraffe. I know they're supposed to be vegetarians, but this one was not.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
fabala4077 Profile Photofabala4077 Profile Photo
fabala4077
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Earliest memories?#2
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:05pm
On my second birthday, I remember my mother telling me that Dad had worked ALL DAY to put up my new swing set. As a child with a limited attention span, I could hardly comprehend ALL DAY. So I was like, wow. Dad's really cool. What a sacrifice. And then I played on my swing set.
"The art of Illusion is the art of love; and the art of love is the blood-red heart of the world." - Tony Kushner, "The Illusion"
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#2
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:09pm
Sounds fun!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#3
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:26pm
I remember being two and pumping water from an enormous water pump in the woods near my uncle's cabin in Maine.

When I saw it many years later, it really wasn't all that big.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#4
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:27pm
My older cousin scaring me with some sort of Halloween mask when I was one or two so intensely that I hyperventilated. I'm grateful to him that I have an interesting first memory.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#5
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:38pm
I remember trying to pull the curls out of my hair at about 2. I remember my first day at school being a nightmare at 4. And I remember being in a Car crash on my 6th birthday.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
mauriposa Profile Photomauriposa Profile Photo
mauriposa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#6
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:50pm
I was three, and I remember driving my pink Hot Wheels Barbie car into my neighbor's yard and meeting my lifelong best friend, who had just moved in.
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#7
Posted: 2/23/08 at 12:58pm
I was watching Batman Returns last night after not seeing it since I was a kid.

and I remembered..while other boys wanted to be Batman, I wanted to be Catwoman. She was fierce as hell. I used to imitate her while watching the movie..The way she talked, the way she used her whip.

Not my earliest memory, but it kinda blew my mind when I started reminiscing.
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#8
Posted: 2/23/08 at 1:03pm
A hazy remembrance of being in a crib standing up and hearing the fire dept. 8 o'clock whistle blow. Dad telling me to lay down it was eight o'clock and then going downstairs to the soda shop (we lived above a soda fountain and had keys to it) to make himself a shake. Had to be about 1 and a half to two.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#9
Posted: 2/23/08 at 1:27pm
Couple of earlier ones but one at four stands out.
My mom was going to vote in the presidential election of 1960.
I told her to vote for Richard Nixon as Richard is my first name.
She didn't listen and voted for that Kennedy guy.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#10
Posted: 2/23/08 at 1:31pm
I was closer to three. Mom and my older teenager cousin took me to the World's Fair in NY toward the end of its two-year run in '65. I remember the boats and the "colors" from It's a Small World, which debuted there. Plus Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln, who I started calling "Mr. Clinkin'," because he made clinks and clicking noises when he talked.

I also remember waiting in that long line for Small World. My first long waiting line, but definitely not my last.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
yodamarie78 Profile Photoyodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#11
Posted: 2/23/08 at 1:43pm
The earliest one that I can definitively place time wise is visiting my mom in the hospital after my sister was born. I was not quite two, I'm 22 months older than her to the day.
Dancinqueen123 Profile PhotoDancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#12
Posted: 2/23/08 at 1:58pm
My earliest memory was when I was involved in a sledding accident when I was about 2 and a half. I hit my head on a tree branch that was sticking out in the sledding path. I'm convinced that's my earliest memory because everything else that happened before that was probably knocked out of my head when I hit it.
<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one
Chrissy*J
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Earliest memories?#13
Posted: 2/23/08 at 3:35pm
My earliest memory is from fall 1990. I was three and it was my first day of pre-school. I remember being so scared to go that I found my smallest doll that I had and hiding in my backpack so I'd have something to cuddle if I got scared in class.
Chrissy*J
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#14
Posted: 2/23/08 at 3:44pm
my earliest memory is benadette peters on dinah shore's show & bernadette had all these wigs stcked up high on her head.
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#15
Posted: 2/23/08 at 4:06pm
My earliest memory goes WAY back...

I was at my Grandmother's house and it had to be a Saturday. I know this because all the ladies (my mom, grandma, and aunts) were all dressed up and were going shopping. In those days they always dressed up for shopping and went downtown because there weren't any malls. I remember laying on a cool sheet on the floor in the living room at Grandma's. The door was open and there was a breeze coming through the screen. All the men were watching something (must be sports) on the TV and I could smell pipe tobacco from my grandpa and uncle's pipes. There was sun coming through the window and crossing in front of me and I could see little dust mites in the sun beam. I could hear all the ladies chattering in the next room and hear their skirts swishing. As they passed by on their way out, Mom and Grandma leaned down and kissed me and I could smell their perfume...

I can't imagine how young I was but I can tell you that I can close my eyes and transport myself back there and feel and hear and smell everything and actually make my blood pressure go down. I've had it tested while doing it and it's amazing to watch.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
luvcaroline Profile Photoluvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Earliest memories?#16
Posted: 2/23/08 at 8:29pm
I was about 2 or 3. I liked to play with the window blinds cord (opening and closing them). One day mom walked in while I was doing it and scared me to death, because I thought she'd be really angry. But then she started laughing, and before you know it we were both laughing hysterically. It's an odd, but great, first memory.
pemberlee Profile Photopemberlee Profile Photo
pemberlee
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Earliest memories?#17
Posted: 2/24/08 at 3:05am
I remember being 2 1/2 at nursery school and hiding under the table during clean-up time to get out of helping with picking up the play area. Even then I was a lazy biatch.
Urban Profile PhotoUrban Profile Photo
Urban
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#18
Posted: 2/24/08 at 7:55am
My earliest memory is of being in the pram being pushed around by my grandfather (he was going to his local pub and he always liked to take me with him). I remember picking up stones to bring back as presents to my grandmother as well. In fact they where all cemented out the back of their house when they put in a new patio.
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile PhotoMagical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#19
Posted: 2/24/08 at 10:06am
Being taken to see Joesph/dreamcoat
and being so excited because I got to see Donny, and my mom had just given me all his records.

I remember him coming on stage and me turning to my mom and whispering 'mommmy!!! ITS DONNY!!!! WOW"

93, I still have the program
I peer through windows, watch life go by....Dream of tommorrow, but stay inside.
GlindatheGood22  Profile PhotoGlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#20
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:07pm
I had to be about three. So I was standing looking out the window at my house and listening to my two older couins talk. Somehow, they got on the subject of Dockers. So I turned to them and said, "I have doctors but they all live in the same building."
I know you. I know you. I know you.
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Earliest memories?#21
Posted: 2/24/08 at 12:11pm
My earliest memory is jumping down half a flight of stairs when I was about two. We lived downstairs from my grandparents and apparently I was bored with walking. Supposedly that was when my parents decided to put me in dance classes because I had to exhaust some of my energy.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler