Young Judy or Old Judy?

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#51
Posted: 2/19/08 at 1:15am
I just can't help it- I have to pick both Judys. I wasn't even born before Judy Garland died, but my grandmother was and still is a huge fan. As a child, she would put on all of Judy's movies- a Judy marathon every Sunday. She would play Judy's albums in the house, and would talk about Judy's concerts at Carneige Hall and the Palace. As I got older, I revisited many of Judy's films- from all of the Rooney/Garland movies to A Star is Born and all her later roles. I grew up with all the stages of Judy in my life from my grandmother and I can't help but to love all of them. I haven't seen all the episodes of her TV show- are they out on DVD?
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#52
Posted: 2/19/08 at 2:39am
Judge Judy
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#53
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:40am
Jennifer--what a great grandmother!

Yes, the 26 episodes with extras came out in 2 DVD box sets a few years ago. Then there are DVDs of an earlier TV broadcast Judy did with Frank and Dean and another one she did with Robert Goulet and Phil Silvers--she's in great shape and voice on those. There's also the one she did after the TV series with Liza, but as people have commented in this thread, Judy's not at her best on this DVD. (Liza, however, is young and astonishing.)

Mother's Day is coming up--of your grandmother doesn't have these, why don't you try to get everyone in the family to contribute?
Urban Profile PhotoUrban Profile Photo
Urban
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#54
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:46am
One of my friends has given my some interview Judy did before she died. Supposedly it is very heavy. I have yet to listen to it. I am really facinated at it though.

I personaly like the old(er) Judy.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#55
Posted: 2/19/08 at 11:48am
There is a fun Barbra Walters interview with Judy, Lorna and Joey. It is available through the Itunes store.

By the way.. seeing Liza in concert again tomorrow night in Santa Barbara.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 2/19/08 at 11:48 AM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#56
Posted: 2/19/08 at 11:54am
Young Judy. Old Judy was a little too over-the-top for me.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
mateo Profile Photomateo Profile Photo
mateo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#57
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:07pm
Boy next door - Judy

re: Young Judy or Old Judy?
"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Kristie-K2 Profile PhotoKristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#58
Posted: 2/19/08 at 1:05pm
Judy Judy Judy....that's all I can say

I was a Judy freak when I was a child. By the time I was thirteen, I had collected over 50 thousand pictures of her.

Had all of her albums, tapes and cds......All my friends had Bon Jovi on their walls, I had Judy in the Wizard of Oz

It was Judy who inspired me to take singing and dancing lessons.
I wasn't around for all of the madness....Judy died June 1969....I was born Dec 1969...

I love Judy for being the Greatest Artist Ever....I love her and now Lorna....

Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#59
Posted: 2/19/08 at 1:13pm
Here's a fun fact:

on the Day Judy died, a tornado touched down in Kansas.

I love that.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#60
Posted: 2/19/08 at 1:16pm
Here's a fun picture: The Garland Gals

Lorna on the left, her daughter Vanessa in the center, and Vanessa's Aunt Liza on the right.

April 2004, at the DVD release for Meet Me in St. Louis
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#61
Posted: 2/19/08 at 2:39pm
One of the reasons people notice a difference in "MGM Judy" vs. "Post-MGM-Judy" has everything to do with the studio system as a whole.

And it wasn't just Judy Garland. It was everyone, but the people who had more self-discipline survived the change better.

Stars under contract to the studios back then had EVERYTHING done for them. They didn't have to worry about finding a great house, fixing their roofs, mowing the lawn, hiring a lawyer, getting groceries, haircuts, or picking out a gown for the Oscars.

It was all done for them by the studios. And a LOT of it was on loan from the studios. They gave their stars everything, except huge salaries (in most cases), BUT... they could take it all away at any moment.

So, when the studio system ended, around the time Garland was released from her contract, many stars flailed around.

Many didn't understand how to do "daily life." They were allowed to concentrate solely on their craft while at MGM (or Warners, etc.). No one today can understand what that's like. We don't have anything comparable to that system.

It's a good thing too, because it left a lot of actors scrambling to hire cooks, managers, accountants, gardeners, etc. They "joined the human race" and couldn't afford the luxury of "just being an actor."

The ones who were more disciplined handled the switchover better. The ones like Garland who had never had to make "life decisions" on her own, had a tougher time.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#62
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:39pm
B12, if you could take the time, could you answer WHY the studio system ended, how it came about, etc.

And what would it be like if it were like that today?

yikes.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
MTVMANN Profile PhotoMTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#63
Posted: 2/19/08 at 3:41pm
I'll go for young Judy because I'm a sucker for Innocence :)
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#64
Posted: 2/19/08 at 5:10pm
Oh, Pippin, that's such a loaded question, and books have been written trying to answer it. My grandfather was part of the studio system, and I've had friends (sadly all gone now) who were part of it as well. We've talked about it over the years, and I would also recommend watching "MGM: When the Lion Roars," particularly the Part 3, the final section of that wonderful documentary on MGM. Ricardo Montalban and June Alyson describe the feeling of being "dropped" abruptly from their contracts as the studio system came to a screeching halt.

Many things played into the demise of the studio system in Hollywood, most of them were legal reasons, but I'll give you the highlights:

1) At the height of the Golden Age of the studio systems, actors were signed to 7-year contracts. Studios had regular "out clauses" every six months. They could drop you if they felt like it, or renegotiate salaries and perks then as well. But you were stuck for SEVEN YEARS, regardless. One of the best ways an actor could be punished back then was to be put on suspension without pay (and without roles in films). Things began to change dramatically at Warner Bros. when Olivia de Havilland was put on suspension. When she was reinstated (and won an Oscar for them), they tried to add that "suspended" time onto the end of her 7-year contract. She sued them. It ended up in the Supreme Court, and the contract was ruled illegal. A huge blow to Warners, who began dropping people as early as 1948. That's when things started to escalate and the other studios, who had lost a lot of their controlling power, began to follow suit. MGM was the last to "clean house," most of which happened around 1950 or 1951. By 1953, virtually EVERYONE at MGM had been dropped, except for Debbie Reynolds (her Tammy movies were HUGE) and Elizabeth Taylor, who was their mega-star at that point. Only a handful remained.

2) The studios also controlled ALL the movie theatres back in the Golden Age. MGM's theatre chain was Loewe's Inc. Warners was the Strand and Pathe, etc. These were chains of theatres all around the country. People wonder now why a wonderful Bette Davis film that drew "okay" crowds played in theatres for months... because Warners would PUSH their favorite films on audiences. Today, if a movie does "okay" business, the theatres will let go of it very quickly. Again, this was one that ended up in the U.S. Supreme Court back then. It was ruled to be a "monopoly" and the studios were all forced to sell off their theatre chains. They were only allowed to keep ONE "flagship" theatre in NYC and one in L.A. Disney is taking advantage of that again by owning the El Capitan in Hollywood. They can run whatever film they want to there... do whatever extra promotions they want, etc. They have complete control. This is just a "glimpse" of what it used to be like across the country, back in the Golden Age.

3) Starting with actors like James Stewart and a few others, when their contracts expired they refused to sign new ones. Stewart was one of the first to become a "free agent" back in the early 1940s, once his contract expired from MGM. His timing was great, since he followed his exit from the studio system by winning an Oscar for Best Actor and landing roles in very popular films. Other actors saw what was possible, and followed suit. It was more about creative control of the roles they played than about "big bucks," but they were free to negotiate everything at that point. And sweet deals were struck.

More played into it than that, but those are the highlights.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#65
Posted: 2/19/08 at 5:16pm
her Tammy movies were HUGE

That somehow says it all.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#66
Posted: 2/19/08 at 5:16pm
Exactly.

THAT was the demise of the studio system.

best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#67
Posted: 2/19/08 at 9:59pm
The real question here is "Old Rose" or "Young Rose" in Titanic?
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#68
Posted: 2/19/08 at 11:49pm
When Jerry Herman was asked about his songwriting process, he said that when he wrote a song, he tried to imagine Judy Garland singing it. Explain much? Can you imagine what she could have done with "Time Heals Everything", "I Don't Want to Know", and "If He Walked Into My Life"?
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#69
Posted: 2/20/08 at 12:09am
Here's Lorna doing "Time Heals Everything."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ4wuQ4P4Us
Kristie-K2 Profile PhotoKristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#70
Posted: 2/20/08 at 12:12am
Sing it Lorna!!!!!
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#71
Posted: 2/20/08 at 12:16am
ugh. I really don't like that song.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#72
Posted: 2/20/08 at 12:42am
Loving Lorna doesn't afford you the same opportunities to be picky with song choice as loving Liza or Judy does. They recorded much

With Lorna, you take what you get and when a song sounds good in her voice, you enjoy it!

That said, I happen to love this song, I love it when Lorna does it, when Bernadette does it and when Barbara Cook does it. And I would have loved it if Judy did it even more.
jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#73
Posted: 2/20/08 at 12:54am
Thanks, paljoey. I will definitely look into it for Grandma...and me!!!!
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#74
Posted: 2/20/08 at 8:46am
Leslie Uggams sang it best, though, PJ. By far.
TulitaPepsi Profile PhotoTulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Young Judy or Old Judy?#75
Posted: 2/20/08 at 9:05am
"Not the Wrigley sisters!"

YES, SIR!!!
"That's The Good Old Sunny South"
"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"