Page: 1

The "Rhapsody in Blue" segment in Fantasia 2000

bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just watched it for the first time since... well... 2000, and it is absolutely incredible! The symbolism, plots, portrait of Great Depression NY, and the beauty of the artwork and (of course) Gershwin's music are astounding. I appreciate it so much more now than I did when I was a young child. What are you thoughts on it?
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love it. It makes me happy. I love the poor man who is trapped by his wife at all the clothing stores. I felt so bad for him.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Mother's Younger Brother Profile PhotoMother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I adore the Hirschfeld-ness of it all.
CapnHook Profile PhotoCapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's genius. Just pure genius. All the elements flow too perfectly. One of my favorite works of art so far in my lifetime.
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Link Larkin Wanabe Profile PhotoLink Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Firebird Suite is also breathtakingly animated and designed.

Akiva
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm taking out my laserdisc boxed-set tonight, dusting off the old laserdisc player...and converting it to digital!

Actually, I just checked on YouTube--here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWH2OdC9WI8
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The whole sequence makes me cry.
jasonf Profile Photojasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's crazy that this is a thread today. For the past week I've been doing a writing project with my students where we first listened to Rhapsody in Blue, they had to write their own interpretations of the music (after a LOT of practice with other classical pieces) and then explain how they came up with the idea for their story from the music. I then showed them the Fantasia clip and had them analyze the segment - what did the artists do that they did with their story. I love the music, but let me tell you, try listening to it twice a period, four periods a day for three days straight - you'll get a little tired of it. Still, brilliant segment, awesome music.
Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dreadful. A low point in American movies, the whole FANTASIA 2000 should just be dumped. A very very bad movie. Not a single element in it is anywhere near as good as the original presentation.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's perfect. I saw Fantasia 2000 3 times in the Imax just for the 'Rhapsody in Blue' segment alone.

When I had to leave town this past fall to attend my grandfather's funeral, I left Fantasia 2000 and a worksheet I wrote for the sub to use with my 3rd-5th grade classes. The 'Rhapsody in Blue' segment was chosen as the overall favorite by all of my classes.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it's absolutely brilliant.
singingwendy Profile Photosingingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is my favorite segment of Fantasia 2000. It's a staple of my "emergency video" collection at school. The second graders love it!
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From what I remember, I found it to be the best segment of the entire movie.
Not Barker, Todd. Profile PhotoNot Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the Fantasia idea is fantastic, I hope they make more.
PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-
scott68 Profile Photoscott68 Profile Photo
scott68
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Loved it! A fabulously conceived segment. I love the Firebird Suite one as well, but I think that has more to do with the piece being pretty much my favorite of all time and less with the segment, though it is beautifully animated.
"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love this segment so much. It's one of my favorites, even counting those in the original Fantasia. It's perfect.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
broadwaybaby086
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've yet to see Fantasia 2000, I'll add it to my netflix queue now. I actually haven't seen Fantasia since elementary school; the 'Night on Bald Mountain' sequence scared me far too much
"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The rest of the new stuff in F2000 is a bore - especially those flying whales.

Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and those cutesy introductions, and that really silly thing they did to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Just not a good movie, they should just put the original into re-release every seven years, at least then we only have to sit through those hideous centaurs and centaurettes, and those atrocious cupids.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Love Fantasia 2000. Nearly every segment is flawless. I would love to see what they could do with The Planets or Pictures at an Exhibition.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
me2 Profile Photome2 Profile Photo
me2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Count me in as a fan of the movie. Actually, I think they started a third FANTASIA but it got disbanded by Thomas Schumacher. They used "One By One" from LION KING as a piece in it, I know.
Broadway Blog: Trade Secrets: Guiding Principles Inaction
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think all the segments in the film are great, but especially Rhapsody in Blue. I just don't like those celebrity intros.

Other than that, it's artistic achievements have grown on me over the past eight years. Very impressive and imaginative work.

I also am haunted by the cut segment of The Little Match Girl that is available on the Little Mermaid DVD as an extra. It was release separately in theatres and was nominated for an Academy Award. Pretty devastating emotionally, since it didn't shy away from the original Andersen ending. And it was done so beautifully. They should have left it in this film.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
me2 Profile Photome2 Profile Photo
me2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
MATCH GIRL was actually supposed to be part of the 3rd one (along with LORENZO, DESTINO, and ONE BY ONE). I agree, it is great.
Broadway Blog: Trade Secrets: Guiding Principles Inaction
singtopher Profile Photosingtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to concur with the rest of the bunch that this segment is one of the best. I also love the flamingos with yoyos. It's mindless and silly, but it gets me every time.
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert