Page: 1

"No End In Sight"

DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"No End In Sight"#1
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:41pm

I finally got to see this documentary. Besides making me slightly nauseous, what I really came away thinking was, "Where IS Rumsfeld right now, and why isn't he in prison?"

Anyone else see this? Has there been any official rebuttal to it (even though most high-ranking people declined to be interviewed for it)?

Updated On: 1/28/08 at 08:41 PM
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'No End In Sight'#2
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:47pm
Here's what I posted when it first came out:

It is thoughtful, passionate in its mission without being obnoxious, sobering and driven with a clear purpose. There is no place in this film for wild theatrics. There is no one with a bullhorn harassing members of Congress.

It is clear and frightening and detailed examination of how we have come to this situation in Iraq.

It is not a partisan film. The filmmaker (who is a first time filmmaker...I believe his real job is working for some Think Tank) was an original supporter of the war. It is a film that clearly tells a story of what went wrong. Not why the decision to go to war was wrong. And the story is told by people who were there, making (or not making) the decisions.

The film points fingers. But it points fingers and those who deserve fingers pointed at them. It doesn't say the war was wrong. But, boy, does it make it clear the mistakes that were made once we were there.

It is not a boring film. It is engrossing and terrifying. And you'll learn more than you wish you had.

You need to see this film. It's heartbreaking. It's hard to get through at times because of the sheer outrage it will cause. But you need to see it.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'No End In Sight'#2
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:53pm
Thanks, Priest (I really did a search, but only came up with Oscar nom discussions!)

"It's hard to get through at times" - I certainly agree with that statement. I had to turn it off twice to go calm down.

I'm really curious what any official reaction is. The people interviewed were directly involved, so the only thing I can imagine is to call them liars - which doesn't seem viable.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'No End In Sight'#3
Posted: 1/28/08 at 8:56pm
Oh, no, it's fine.

I posted the thread months ago, and I think it got one response.

Obviously not as many people saw the film as I would have wished. Of course, if I had my way, every American would see it.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'No End In Sight'#4
Posted: 1/28/08 at 11:52pm
Well, it made these critics' top ten lists:

1st - Stephen Hunter, The Washington Post
3rd - Ty Burr, The Boston Globe
5th - A.O. Scott, The New York Times
5th - Lisa Schwarzbaum, Entertainment Weekly
6th - Dana Stevens, Slate
6th - Marc Mohan, The Oregonian
6th - Michael Sragow, The Baltimore Sun
6th - Rene Rodriguez, The Miami Herald
7th - Marc Savlov, The Austin Chronicle
7th - Richard Corliss, TIME magazine
8th - Ann Hornaday, The Washington Post
8th - Peter Rainer, The Christian Science Monitor
9th - Carrie Rickey, The Philadelphia Inquirer
9th - Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly
10th - Scott Foundas, LA Weekly (tied with Redacted and The Wind That Shakes the Barley)
10th - Stephanie Zacharek, Salon (tied with Redacted)

And, Margo listed it in his top ten, as well re: 'No End In Sight'

I'm noodling around Google, and can't come up with anything concerning an official response. Maybe there's just not much to say?

If it wins an Oscar, that should raise its profile. At least it got a nomination.
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'No End In Sight'#5
Posted: 1/29/08 at 12:45am
I loved it as well. It's a must-see. I hope it wins the Oscar.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson