'Mac People' More Open, Liberal Than PC Users?

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
People who prefer Apple's Macintosh computers over PCs have long been considered to be on the artsy, hip end of the personality spectrum-- and now a study proves that "Mac people" indeed are more liberal and open-minded than average folks.

According to Mindset Media, people who purchase Macs fall into what the branding company calls the "Openness 5" personality category-- which means they are more liberal, less modest and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large. Mindset Media helps companies with strong brands develop ads targeted to people based on personality traits or people's "mindsets," and does research to that effect.

So-called Openness 5 types tend to seek rich, varied and novel experiences, according to the company, and believe that imagination and intellectual curiosity are as important to life as more rational or pragmatic endeavors. They also are receptive to their own inner feelings and may experience life with more emotional intensity.

The company uses Nielsen Online's panel for the Mac mindset study, the results of which are based on responses from 7,500 participants.

It's no great secret that Macs have always been popular with creative types-- the computers have been the mainstay of creative agencies and video- and sound-editing houses for years. This probably has as much to do with the fact that Apple and partners have delivered popular software for graphic and multimedia designers and artists as it does with the contemporary industrial design Macs have long reflected.

(more)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080117/tc_pcworld/141473
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well that surely does not apply to me! I use a PC. Don't care for MACs. And I am all those things they say the MAC people are. So are my friends that use PC's. Just another study, soon they will reverse it and all of a sudden PC users will have some great presonality trait over MAC users.
Just give the world Love.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This guy the other night left me in a state of Openness 10.

And yes I have a MacBook.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
if i hear one more person in the student center talking about how amazing their macbook is and using words to describe it that i'm pretty sure they dont know the definition of, i'm going to pour my sprite on their keyboard.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My MacBook is estimably meritorius.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
AB.. your just a jealous hussy.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I consider myself pretty open minded, yet I have a PC...I just can't stand that bouncing when you click on the desktop on Macs!
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I just can't stand that bouncing when you click on the desktop on Macs!"

Then turn it off. But then again you don't use a Mac so I guess you would not know that you can do that.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
So guess what- I have 2 macs. An iMac and a MacBook. So there!
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
chino Profile Photochino Profile Photo
chino
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Proud owner of a Mac.
CyCoSpAz2 Profile PhotoCyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Proud owner of a PC.
HorseTears Profile PhotoHorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mac owners are such snobs.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But we can back up our snobbery. Automatically. Without anything crashing.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love my Dell.
Besides lagging after a not being restarted for a few weeks, it's perfect.
Yes. I leave my computer on for weeks at a time.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
sweetestsiren Profile Photosweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marketing is definitely a lot of it (think of the Mac/PC commercials), but Apple wouldn't have been as successful if they had nothing to back it up. My Mac just works better and more smoothly than any PC I've had.
HorseTears Profile PhotoHorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"But we can back up our snobbery. Automatically. Without anything crashing."

Well played, sir, well played.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But we can back up our snobbery. Automatically. Without anything crashing.

Oh Namo, I knew I loved you.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm not a jealous hussy. they're jealous hussies. it's beacuse i have a bright pink dell and they dont. :)
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dell didn't invent pink, you know. Plus, Macs are prodigious.
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Oh the irony. When I went to reply to this thread, Safari quit on me. That's been happening quite a bit.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't forget their burnished composition Namo.

(I used the Thesaurus widget to look those up!)
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 1/24/08 at 12:23 AM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
macbook pro and imac here.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Macbook here, PC at work.

It's like Mac and Cheese.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We all know the real you, papa. Sometimes our friends and our computer choices know us better than we know ourselves.

nygrl23, with all the stuff that moves and flashes and Flashes and strobes on BWW now, crashes are more frequent on PCs and even Safari.
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Yeah, Namo. I need internet software that can support the flashes and whistles and whatnot. Maybe they'll issue one soon and call it "Vegas" or something.