Page: 1

Another tax rebate!?!?!

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another tax rebate!?!?!#1
Posted: 1/17/08 at 10:37pm
Tax Rebates Urged to Rescue Economy

WASHINGTON (AP) - United for urgent action, the White House and Congress raced toward emergency steps Thursday to rescue the national economy from a possible recession, including tax rebates of at least $300 a person - and maybe as much as $800. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke endorsed the idea of putting money into the hands of those who would spend it quickly and boost the flagging economy.

Okay, are these people INSANE? I know I was a liberal arts major and math has always caused me anxiety, but even I know this is stoooooooopid band-aid of an idea. Bush's folly in the Middle East is costing HOW MUCH per month? And they're hoping that people blowing 300-800 dollars (at a time when one of the major problems with the economy is that Americans aren't saving anything) is going to "rescue" the economy.

Oh man.
Tax Rebates Urged to Rescue Economy
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#2
Posted: 1/17/08 at 10:41pm
I just can't wait for him to be gone.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#2
Posted: 1/17/08 at 10:46pm
How much does a vote for a republican cost?
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#3
Posted: 1/17/08 at 10:50pm
I'm pretty bad with numbers but even I know that the money coming in column has to be bigger than the money going out column or I'm in trouble.

Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#4
Posted: 1/17/08 at 10:59pm
The treasury says the national debt
Is climbing to the sky
And government expenditures
Have never been so high
It makes a fellow get a
Gleam of pride when they decide
To see how our economy expands
The country's in the very best of hands
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#5
Posted: 1/18/08 at 12:34am
I love Lil Abner!
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#6
Posted: 1/18/08 at 2:43pm
Hey when we had a budget surplus, we gave everyone $300, so now that we have a huge budget deficit, the answer is clearly to give everyone $300- or MORE!

You have to understand- The Republicans have no desire to cut the debt or deficit- in fact, they want them both to be as high as possible, because then they can campaing about those "Tax & Spend Democrats" runnin gup bills than can never be paid. PLUS, if they get us deep in dept, they can also scream that things are out of control and that they have to CUT SPENDING to get things in line. The last thing they want is a government that actually does things, like inspect food plants or take care of its citizen's health.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#7
Posted: 1/18/08 at 3:24pm
How did we get the deficit? Spending half a trillion on war.

How did we fix the deficit? Cut social programs.
JerseyGirl2 Profile PhotoJerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#8
Posted: 1/18/08 at 3:44pm
But it's not really additional money is it? It's actually just like a refund anticipation loan, right? It's $300 that we won't get back in any refund that we would have gotten. They whole thing is just stupid.
Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#9
Posted: 1/18/08 at 3:46pm
Woohoo, now I have a down payment for my new UWS apartment!
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#10
Posted: 1/18/08 at 3:46pm
This country has been in deficit for years - and it's increased exponentially. There's never been a true "surplus" There might have been a "lower than expected" deficit for any particular year - but there's ALWAYS been one.
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Another tax rebate!?!?!#11
Posted: 1/18/08 at 4:00pm
Thank you GWB...

NEW YORK - Wall Street extended its decline Friday as skittish investors unable to hold on to much optimism about the economy drew little comfort from President Bush's stimulus plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Investors pulled back from a big early advance, with the major indexes trading mixed as Bush began to speak. By the time the president finished announcing a plan for about $145 billion worth of tax relief, the indexes were well into negative territory.

"It's disappointed in the size of the economic growth package. Wall Street's showing its displeasure," said Kim Caughey, equity research analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group in Pittsburgh. "Honestly, I think the institutional investors understand the limits to the government's ability to enact economic change."

The Dow Jones industrial average, up more than 180 points in morning trading, in late afternoon was down 128.92, or 1.06 percent, at 12,030.29. The Dow plunged 306 points Thursday amid deepening pessimism about the economy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080118/ap_on_bi_st_ma_re/wall_street;_ylt=ApOL_rPNRuaOqy1toVCkHq6s0NUE