Page: 1

What Is The Point Of Following Your Dreams?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I apologize for the breakdown I had a few moments ago. I don't enjoy doing that at all.

Lately, I've begun to think of myself as completely untalented in anything and everything. I have always loved film and, one day, would like to make my own films.

I know for a fact that this isn't going to happen, no matter how hard I try (and BELIEVE me, I try). I saw a movie called THERE WILL BE BLOOD this weekend which was so unbelievable and so amazing that I fear that I, myself, will never be able to ascend to that pinnacle of brilliance. Because I really am not that brilliant or smart. I'm a lazy slob who fears everything, oftentimes even going out of the house. That is why I post so much on here.

But it's just gotten me to think over why any of us follow our dreams. People tend to only do what they're really talented in but, say, if someone wants to be a football player but they are physically handicapped, are they still going to do it? Hmm? This is the position I am in. Anything resembling productivity or good work from me is not going to seep through my brain anytime soon in the near future.
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
cruel, go talk to a frikkin' REAL PERSON about this. Not your imaginary friends on an off=topic internet chat board.

please, no body respond to this post. Your just exaserbating the problem and giving him attention he shouldn't have to find on the Internet, of all places.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This board allows me an outlet to vent.
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm sure there are psychiatric internet boards out there.

A much better place than a board where most people bump your threads because they are outrageously funny when they are meant to be serious...at least that's the kind of stuff they teach us in AP Psych
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cruel---It takes a lot of experience and training, not just talent to make a film like "There Will Be Blood." You're getting trapped in a comparison between yourself and other filmmakers' achievements.

Based on your candid comments in your initial post, I'd say your worst enemy isn't lack of talent, it's laziness. Your fear can be channeled into a positive, if you use "fear" as fuel to spark you to do better and grow. But "laziness" is the enemy. Desire alone can't and won't get you anywhere.

You'll never become a director simply because you "really, really want to." You have to work at it... on YOUR path of discovery and growth, not by looking at the various paths of others, constantly noting how much further ahead they are than you. Use them as inspiration, and learn from them as much as you can. But if you start to "compete" with them mentally, you're focused on the wrong game.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Anything resembling productivity or good work from me is not going to seep through my brain anytime soon in the near future."

This is called "self fulfilling prophecy." You sure won't succeed with that attitude. The difference between you and those who reach their dreams is that they believe that they will.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
kelzama
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Seems to me if you have to ask, there is no point.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For twice, I agree with best12...

Honey, comparing yourself to PT or Wes or Orson or Ingmar is a waste of time--even a waste for PT to compare HIMSELF to Howard or Fritz.

I will tell ya this: nothing gets done while surfing the net, smoking weed and chronically masturbating...I'm just sayin...
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"nothing gets done while surfing the net, smoking weed and chronically masturbating"

Hey! That is my dream.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't dream it...beat it...
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"College of Santa Fe Counseling Services"

"The Health Services Center helps students address a broad spectrum of mental health-related issues. Counseling sessions are conducted by licensed mental-health professionals and are offered on an individual or group basis.

All counseling and psychotherapy services are available at no charge; all services provided and health records fall under the federal guidelines established by HIPPA. If necessary, students may be referred to supportive professionals in the Santa Fe community."

http://www.csf.edu/student_services/counseling_services
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"This board allows me an outlet to vent."

That's not what this board was meant for. I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing you whine about your personal problems here.

Why do we have to hear it? Why should we be subjected to it?

How many times can we tell you, “GET HELP” before you listen?

So, either do something about it (not here), or shut up.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
SeanMartin Profile PhotoSeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Okay, here's the deal.

A hundred years from now, no one will care. Chances are real good that a century from now, no one will know who any of us were, what we dreamed of doing, our successes, our failures. It wont matter, because we'll be long dead and they'll have their own issues to deal with.

So at the risk of sounding trite: get over it and move on. If you're not talented enough to do something, then appreciate the work of those who are, and move on. If you *are* talented enough to do something, then get your heiny in gear, and move on. The world is not going to stop because you're having a bad hair day, no matter who you are and how rich and successful you might be. Truly, we are all of us nothing in the universe's Grand Scheme of Things, so -- once more -- deal with it and move on and make your happiness where you can. That's all you get, bud. This aint no dress rehearsal.
http://docandraider.com
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I apologize for the breakdown I had a few moments ago. I don't enjoy doing that at all.

Yes you do...
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If he's apologizing for a breakdown, would I be in the wrong to request a personal apology for the sexist slur aimed at me in another thread?
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
get 'em while the gettin's good, Anna!
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What did he say?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just want...normality. re: What Is The Point Of Following Your Dreams when you have none?
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He said something quite rude (big surprise) and then I said something quite rude and then he said something to me along the lines of, "Get back in the kitchen, woman, and make me a sandwhich." I forget if *slap* was involved, the thread is not there because we broke the BWW rules (sorry for that btw guys)

I'm assuming my request for an apology will just be ignored anyway.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Normality = Violence
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was said in good fun but I apologize.
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
STFU Cruel, and get help.

Stop posting here.