Hanson

snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hanson#1
Posted: 1/9/08 at 6:46pm
I def made this thread a long time ago (like some time last year), but at this point I'm pretty sure it's way lost. So... time to start a new and improved Hanson thread Hanson

Basically, I think 99% of the general population isn't even aware that they're still around, let alone as wonderful as they are. Not only are they still around: They've nixed the long blonde hair and prepubecent voices (obviously, as they've long since hit puberty haha), and they own their own record company, 3CG, under which they have self-produced two studio albums so far. They do in fact write, play, produce, and market all their own music all by themselves (with the exception of course of musical collaberations with other artists here and there). So far, they've produced 2 studio records on their independent label, one of which, The Walk, just came out this past summer. Their other independent record from 2004, Underneath, was, I believe, the most successful selling independent record of all time according to Billboard.

And their music.. well, let's just put it this way: they have LONG since progressed from mmmbop :P (not that I don't personally adore mmmbop, I think it's the cutest most catchy song ever and it makes me happy). They still most definitely know their way around an infectious melody, but they're truly gifted musicians now.

Just some sampling of their more recent work:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8w0NUYIoDm4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6r1Xyp-To-o
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cTLdg0V4Qgs

and if you don't love Taylor's voice, I think one of the COOLEST things about them is that they ALL switch off between leads, and they ALL have incredible voices with very distinct, different styles.

Zac:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VS6ix4ZoXMA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JOiYaOWjqpk

Ike:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n1MEOOuWHHI

AND, if you hadn't noticed from some of the videos, they all can switch between multiple instruments like it's nothin'- especially Taylor and Zac, who are both great at drums, guitar, AND piano.

So yeah, their music is amazing, basically, and I highly recommend it to any and everyone! :)

Also:
Although this doesn't really have a whole lot to do with why I love their MUSIC, it does have to do with why I'm so incredibly proud to be a fan of theirs. For their new record that came out this summer, The Walk, they decided that they wanted to do something special- make it not only about the music, but also about making a difference in the world. They had been inspired to go to Africa durring the recording process for The Walk, and recorded a few songs with a chorus of kids from a small South African school. One of those songs was Great Divide, which can be bought as a single on itunes, and all the proceeds go directly to a hospital in Soweto, South Africa that focuses on preventing the mother-to-child transition of AIDS. Also, for their national Walk Tour, they have teamed up with a company called Tom's Shoes, where for every pair of shoes you buy, another pair goes directly to a child in need in a third world country. Before each and every concert they've done recently, they've led 1 mile walks (usually barefoot, unless it was just way way too cold or snowy to do it barefoot) around the towns where they've performed. The walks themselves were really just to raise awareness for the cause, and to further encourage fans and others alike to buy a pair of Toms. In all, they way surpassed their goal of 50,000 pairs of shoes bought by the time they went BACK to Africa in November and helped to place the shoes directly on childrens' feet. While they were there, they also raised something like upwards of $10,000 I think (this was within a 4 day period), thanks to the fans, to provide new school supplies for the school where the children came from that sang on The Walk. That was a spur of the moment thing where they had went back to the school, seen how little they had, and decided to sell some pictures from their trip for high prices, as well as just asking for donations from fans, to raise money. So yeah, it's a pretty amazing, inspiring thing. :)

For more information on their humanitarianism efforts, check out the "Take the Walk" section of their official site:
http://www.hanson.net/site/hanson/section/name/activism

Sorry guys, this ended up being a HUMUNGO post haha- but I just really think that everything they've done and accomplished is so great, and I wanted to spread the word on everything they've been up to Hanson

Any other fans up in here?

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
matjomae Profile Photomatjomae Profile Photo
matjomae
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Hanson#2
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:38pm
I used to be a huge fan up until 2000 or so; then they just kinda dropped off of my radar. I do know that they went through some serious drama with their major at one point and made a documentary about it, although I haven't gotten around to seeing it.

I recently broke down and purchased their new album and was suprised how easily I fell back into to listening to them. Something about Taylor's voice still gets me.

That said, I will never, ever see them in concert again. I remember how screamy, and pushy and crazy those girls were, and I have a feeling that aspect of them has not changed.

ETA - I also know that between them they have insane amount of kids. So weird to picture them as dads.
"Take all of your so-called problems, better put them in quotations.." - JM
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 09:38 PM
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#2
Posted: 1/9/08 at 9:55pm
^haha, indeed they do have a surprising number of kids considering they're still pretty darn young re: Hanson Taylor has 3 and Ike has one- and Zac and his wife are actually expecting one in May!! THAT is the strangest for me. Taylor's always been way wise beyond his years and mature, so him being a daddy kind of just makes sense to me. But Zac?? I just still hold such a place in my heart for his adorable little kid self 10 years ago <3 So it's very strange to think that he's going to be a father. But he'll make an amazing one- that kid is going to have an amazing, wacky sense of humor, that I can guarantee re: Hanson

And yeah, their documentary Strong Enough To Break is really good. It was supposed to start off being basically about them making their third album, but Island Def Jam just got to be SO horrible and corrupt, and instead of quitting the documentary, they decided to switch gears and make it about the struggles that LOTS of artists have to go through with the mainstream record labels.

They've also been documenting the making of The Walk, and it's in podcast form that can be suscribed to on itunes- called Taking The Walk :) I love that they do that, because it's really cool and interesting to see the work they do behind the scenes. And they each have very distinct personalities that contribute to their over all good function is a band. Essentially, Taylor is the optimist (he's SO level headed it's ridiculous), Ike is the pessimist (not always a bad thing- he just questions things when the others don't), and Zac is the realist.

Oh and yeah, Taylor DEFINITELY has a certain quality about him :) It's his passion- he puts 100% passion and heart into everything he does- especially music- and it's so incredible to watch/listen to.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the die hard fans are still CRAZY I think. I actually have not been to a concert since 1998 on the Albertain tour, but I've seen and heard enough to know that it can be rather insane. I'm a die hard fan in the sense that I follow them very closely and I think I have about 180 songs, or some ridiculous number like that, of theirs on my ipod that I listen to on a very, very regular basis. But I do NOT do the whole fangirling thing where you follow them to every concert and get Hanson tatoos and just... yeah... not for me. lol. I AM dying to go to a show though. I won't camp out the night before for it like some will, but their live shows are just so FRIGGIN insanely amazing! Like... they're actually a ton BETTER live than they are recorded. And that's a very, very rare thing these days (especially in comparison to some people *cough*Mily Cirus*cough* who lip sync at their own live shows, let alone actually being BETTER live)

EDIT: hahaha, how fitting it is that 10 minutes after I posted this, they're on vh1s top 100 songs of the 90s countdown :P
I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 09:55 PM
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#3
Posted: 1/10/08 at 8:42pm
bump :)
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#4
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:32am
bump one more time

really? No other hanson fans in here? re: Hanson

(I promise this is my last time bumping- if nobody else cares to respond, I'll let it be haha)
Updated On: 1/13/08 at 12:32 AM
Mrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile PhotoMrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile Photo
Mrs.LinkLarkin2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hanson#5
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:37am
HUGE HANSON fan here! Thanks for posting this! They get better with every album! Their concerts are a spiritual experience. No joke. I feel like i'm transported into another world. If only more people knew about their current musical state. They're musical geniuses! They're hidden jem in today's music industry. i wish they got more credit and were thought of as "one hit wonders" less. "If only" people discovered them...
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#6
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:44am
^ahem, may I give some visual evidence to back up that "spirtual experience" comment? :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bJneTVvlaL0

ok, now, everyone needs to watch that, and then I ask:
how on EARTH could they be classified in the "pop" catagory, which implies people like Hannah Montannah and Britney Spears who do not even sing live at their concerts??? And that was how that song STARTED OUT- the unfinished version!! (But then, that's Taylor- he can just sit down at a piano and... make THAT. Like it's nothin'. re: Hanson)

Truly, TRULY, the testament to Hanson comes in how freaking UNBELIEVABLE they are live. I just... I can't even explain it. And I have not actually SEEN them live in so long. But just watching the Underneath Acoustic Live DVD... omg.

and um.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FovFw0YBv6E
is that not THE most incredible KICK ASS version of Oh!Darling you have ever heard? Yes, ladies and gents, we have found a band who can do covers that are BETTER than the originals :)

and yeah, I'd also just like to mention that you pretty much havn't lived until you've seen Zac Hanson rock out HARD. CORE. on the drums a la Rock and Roll Razorblade, You Never Know, etc. re: Hanson

Updated On: 1/13/08 at 12:44 AM
Mrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile PhotoMrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile Photo
Mrs.LinkLarkin2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hanson#7
Posted: 1/13/08 at 12:54am
I just saw them in September. They were magical. Taylor Hanson is just *sigh* I have no words. The man is such a true artist. Music is their life. They don't care about publicity or attention or money, it's all about the music. It's very organic.
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#8
Posted: 1/13/08 at 5:08pm
^So true. That's what's so incredibly refreshing about them. They TRULY do it because they love making music. They could care less what people say about them, or how many fans they have. As long as they have enough fans to be able to go out and do what they love to do, and know that the people who DO get them are getting into it as well, they're happy :) Like Tay has said before: they don't play for the people who [i]don't[/i] get them, they play for the people who [i]do[/i]. And it's just incredible to see that in a society where soooo many people will do ANYTHING just to sell records.

Granted they did get very lucky- and they very openly admit this- because they would never have been able to do what they did with 3CG and everything if it hadn't been for the incredible success of the Middle of Nowhere album, but just the fact that they never once even came close to selling out to maintain the top-of-the-charts status speaks so much toward their dedication to their craft.

Oh, and um. Also, they're like the most amusing people EVER. Seriosuly, they never fail to crack me up re: Hanson :
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n9ZWol8G4M0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xvfR295-cPc&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yGDlO7CsPCs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QZkuGTvXY

and yes, I'm aware they're total dorks and seem like they're just slightly high a lot of the time (which, for the record, I'm pretty sure is just them being tired lol)- that is in fact the basis of their appeal- for me at least re: Hanson (lol, really though, I do wonder if people who AREN'T Hanson fans actually even think they're funny at all. I think you just kind of... have to know a bit about their personalities to fully appreciate their senses of humor)
Updated On: 1/13/08 at 05:08 PM
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#9
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:30pm
Bumping this from foreeeever ago, because. They're still SO FIERCE.

Proof:
http://crackle.com/play/?id=2221119#ml=fk%3Dhanson%26fx%3D%26o%3D7 <- CHILLS. The harmonies!!

http://crackle.com/play/?id=2216637#ml=fk%3Dhanson%26fx%3D%26o%3D7 <- They. can. rock it.

and I am going to their concert in Northhampton Mass on April 25- EEP re: Hanson I cannot wait! *tries to control fangirling*
jessica0414 Profile Photojessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hanson#10
Posted: 3/30/08 at 1:27pm
Lucky you! I love Hanson, they have such talent. Even though they aren't nearly as huge as they were in the MmmBop days, I'm glad they've kept a following long enough to keep making records. Their 2 most recent albums are amazing.
"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show
Guido Contini Profile PhotoGuido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#11
Posted: 3/30/08 at 2:18pm
Hey SNL, did you take "the walk" anywhere across the US. My wife (the REAL fan), her friends, our dog, and I did the walk in Cleveland.
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
louisamayfoster Profile Photolouisamayfoster Profile Photo
louisamayfoster
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hanson#12
Posted: 3/30/08 at 2:47pm
Their Christmas CD is one of my very favorites - lots of fun! Love 'em or hate 'em there isn't anything phony about them. They have a true passion for music and a lot of class.

snl89 - you are a super fan!
misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#13
Posted: 3/30/08 at 2:47pm
They are still so purdy.
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#14
Posted: 3/30/08 at 3:44pm
Hey SNL, did you take "the walk" anywhere across the US. My wife (the REAL fan), her friends, our dog, and I did the walk in Cleveland.

unfortunately I didn't get to go to any of the concerts on the first leg of the Walk tour, so nope, I havn't yet taken the walk, but I TOTALLY am in Northhampton! I wouldn't miss it- it's part of the experience re: Hanson Plus it's an amazing cause and I think they're going about it in SUCH a great, unique way, so I want to support it! I just hope they don't walk too fast because I'm really really slow hehe

and yeah, misschung, they still are super purty re: Hanson Though Zac has let his hair grow out just a little bit TOO long over the last few months it seems! It was gorgeous during the first leg of the Walk tour- he just needs to shorten it back up a bit and he's good to go :P And of course Tay is still looking lush as ever <3

Guido Contini Profile PhotoGuido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#15
Posted: 3/30/08 at 4:54pm
i don't know how anyone could argue that Underneath wasn't by far their best album.
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
Kasie Profile PhotoKasie Profile Photo
Kasie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#16
Posted: 3/30/08 at 7:11pm
Hanson=life.
RENThead414
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hanson#17
Posted: 3/30/08 at 7:33pm
COMPLETELY agree, Guido. Underneath was their best album by far :)
SNLMedia Profile PhotoSNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#18
Posted: 3/30/08 at 8:32pm
SNL, I am contemplating seeing the Northampton show, as I am only 45 minutes away!
"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#19
Posted: 3/30/08 at 9:33pm
^do ittt! :P

and yeah, Underneath is all kinds of love, it really is. Although.. I think This Time Around might actually be my personal favorite Hanson CD, but Underneath is definitely more sophisticated musically. It just happens to be that most of my favorite songs come from This Time Around. But there's pretty much something to love about all 4 of their CDs re: Hanson Middle of Nowhere is bubbly, youthfull, and makes you happy. This Time Around has lots of songs you can rock out to hard core. Underneath has this amazing, raw, acoustic feel to it. The Walk kind of takes all of those previously stated elements and combines them. So, in a sense, I feel like The Walk really does capture the essence of Hanson as a band the best. But it's not necessarily my favorite- again, that would go to TTA
Updated On: 3/30/08 at 09:33 PM
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#20
Posted: 4/19/08 at 11:33am
bumping once again

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG2wtgNwYfg

*sigh* Taylor, you kinda make me feel like a major jerk because I don't do nearly enough, but you are SO inspiring and awesome and I admire you so much for it <3

aand NEXT FRIDAY I shall be taking the walk and going to my first Hanson concert since 1998! EEP!!
Updated On: 4/19/08 at 11:33 AM
SNLMedia Profile PhotoSNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#21
Posted: 4/19/08 at 12:14pm
It looks like the Calvin is pretty much sold out for this show. I didn't realize they were so popular! Have fun, SNL!
"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#22
Posted: 4/19/08 at 7:15pm
^awww. Last I checked I think they might have at least a couple left if you were still interested :)

But yeah, they have a pretty awesomely solid fanbase still. There aren't a whole lot of people who know they still exist, but a lot of those who do are hardcore about it and will FIND a way to get to their concerts re: Hanson Seriously, some people make me look like a casual fan. They get a little wacky and do things like travel 10 hours and camp out overnight in the freezing cold just to get in the front of the line for general admission shows. Now THAT I would not do. lol
snl89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hanson#23
Posted: 4/26/08 at 1:25pm
OMG. The concert in Northhampton last night.

Seriously, best concert I have ever been to. My legs were killing me from all the dancing and I think I have perminent hearing loss because the screaming from the audience was so loud, but I did not want it to end!! lol

I've finally been able to determine exactly what it is that makes them better than soo many other great bands: they are incredibly, indredibly tight. Individually are they the greatest musicians ever? nahh probably not (though they're VERY VERY good- and I'd even go so far as to say Zac really is one of the best drummers I have ever known of). But there's something about how cohesive they are, and how incredibly well they work together, so that when they come together and make music, it really is nothing short of incredible.

And, for the record, they really, really are every single solitary bit as good live as they are recorded- in fact, I even think they're better live just because they do more amazing solos and stuff, and some of their recorded songs tend to be a liiittle bit over produced. But yeah, basically, they can rock out so hardcore it's ridiculous.

AND. Zac Hanson does the fiercest cover of Oh!Darling I have EVER heard. EVER. I was sooooo so stoked that they played it last night! Made. My. Life.

biggest CHENO fan Profile Photobiggest CHENO fan Profile Photo
biggest CHENO fan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hanson#24
Posted: 5/6/08 at 1:02pm
Ok, so I just stumbled upon this thread and I AM SO EXCITED. I saw them in Birmingham in October and they were phenomenal. NO, I'm not kidding. These boys, I mean MEN, are so incredibly talented. I HIGHLY suggest you all check out their most recent CD, The Walk. Inspiring.