Page: 1

Parents - When Do You Teach Your Kids About Racism, Jim Crow, Holocaust, WWII, etc.?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How old are they when you first introduce them to it and what is your strategy? Do you ease them into it or just drop them right in?
ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile PhotoScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Some people refuse to acknowledge that these things actually happened and that we're still feeling the affects of them today just to spite the world because they feel that they are forced to be "PC" when they're just being asked not to be an open asshole in public.
"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot
Izzie2 Profile PhotoIzzie2 Profile Photo
Izzie2
Understudy
Understudy
my parents didn't water anything down for me, but didn't get too explicit. At around 8 they bought me historical fiction in the form of the American Girl books. I was te kind of child who HAD to find out that sort of thing. Some good books that managed to suddenly appear on my bookshelf where: Dear Americas, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, The Diary of Anne Frank, Journey to Topaz, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, Number the Stars, and Harriet Tubman biographies.
Although we have are pride, we have been known to cast for food. BERNARD TELSEY CASTING, C.S.A.
"One more outburst from you sir and I bludgeon you to death with this microphone" The Wedding Singer
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My father was a Holocaust survivor and he always spoke about it.
There were a lot of his friends that never did.
I think that kids should be taught not to hate at a young age like learning languages.
They're also like sponges and soak up the prejudices of those around them.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think it's something you gradually learn over a period of time. For me it was school that first addressed these topics not my parents.
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
RIGHT after I explain about the Easter Bunny and sex.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend