Page: 1

"All Fall Down" today on TCM

thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"All Fall Down" today on TCM#1
Posted: 12/26/07 at 1:26am
One of my favorite movies of all time - sorta strange, but compelling story and fantastic cast:
Angela Lansbury, Warren Beatty, Karl Malden, Brandon DeWilde, Eva Marie Saint.
Anybody see it? Comments?
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#2
Posted: 12/26/07 at 8:34am
I saw this film at a screening about 10 years ago at LACMA with Angela Lansbury there to do a Q&A. It was a double feature of "All Fall Down" and "The Manchurian Candidate." John Frankenheimer was also there and participated. They took lots of questions from our audience.

Wonderful stuff!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#2
Posted: 12/26/07 at 1:28pm
The one thing in that film that really disturbed me is when Annabell took Berry Berry in her arms, looked into his eyes and kissed him, in what could possibly be considered an unmotherly way. Any hint or subtext of Freudian incestual intent, or is it JUST suffocating mother love?
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#3
Posted: 12/26/07 at 1:54pm
As I recall, Angela talked about the mothers from both films and their decidedly "un-motherly" affection.

It was definitely intentional and not just "smothering."
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#4
Posted: 12/26/07 at 2:00pm
Curious Best12, did Angela and the rest talk about her "backstory"? I always felt that her name, Annabelle and his, Berry-Berry HAD to come from the south. I also loved the fathers' character, because even though a drunk, he was very well read, intelligent, religious and feeling.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#5
Posted: 12/26/07 at 2:18pm
If only you'd asked me these questions ten years ago, I might remember more!

The Q&A session happened between films. They showed us "Manchurian Candidate" first, then Lansbury and Frankenheimer came out to answer questions about this film primarily, plus they talked a bit more and answered a few questions about the second film of the evening "All Fall Down." We hadn't seen the movie at that point, and it was new to me. So her answers didn't "stick" as well as they did for Manchurian. Much of the discussion was about the up-and-coming Warren Beatty. I do remember them asking her about the two mothers and their "uncomfortable affections." It was definitely intentional. She did mention almost turning down one of the parts because they were so similar in a not-very-good-way. Frankenheimer talked her into it, though. They filmed these movies back-to-back, and ultimately the roles were too good for Angela to reject either.

Sorry I can't remember more!
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#6
Posted: 12/26/07 at 2:29pm
Thanks, Best12 for your info. I'm going to Google some reviews later today.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'All Fall Down' today on TCM#7
Posted: 12/26/07 at 6:06pm
I love ALL FALL DOWN. It's one of my favorite films from the '60s. Great cast and great director. I think this was Beatty's third movie right after SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS and THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS. STONE. Angela Lansbury is magnificent in everything she does. What can't that woman do?