Will "Lost Horizon" & "At Long Last Love" ever come out on dvd?

nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Both of these musicals from the 70's have never been commerically released on video. What are the chances that they will come out on dvd? Yes, they are considered the worst of the worst and were huge bombs. But, look at all the trash that comes out on dvd so quickly these days.

I've got them on video from various cable airings....HBO, I think. And, they aren't as bad as everyone says they are. "Lost Horizon" is very 70's - macrame, caftans, etc... "At Long Last Love" is visually stunning........costumes, art direction, cinematography, etc....

Another musical Turkey of the 70's came out on dvd this year..."Mame." And, it was a chart topper.

Updated On: 12/13/07 at 03:16 PM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, nealb1... from your mouth to God's ears!

I'm a HUGE "Lost Horizon" fan. I saw it twice in the movie theatre, when I was just nine years old. It's still a favorite of mine, for all that is good AND bad about it.

As far as it never being commercially released, it actually was out on a "special extended edition," letterboxed laser disc release from Pioneer.

They added back in several cut songs and scenes (some even from work prints). I would love it if Sony (who owns the rights) would release it on DVD with extras... like a commentary track from Michael York!

It's at the very top of my "Bad Movies We Love" list.

As far as "At Long Last Love," I saw that one as a kid in the theatres too... and don't remember much about it, except that it was "slightly enjoyable."

Now that I'm older, I realize that if I thought it was "slightly enjoyable" in my youth, I will think it's a big pile of doo-doo as an adult.

So I haven't checked it out since! But hey! A great cast mangling Cole Porter? Release it, please!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You just took me way back in time. I swear there are two versions of At Long Last Love. If anyone remembers, please post. I can still see the scene with "Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love".
I also well remember Lost Horizon. Bobby Van: "Question Me an Answer".
I'm with you. Get these on DVD!
Updated On: 12/13/07 at 06:31 PM
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
best12, you're right...I forgot about the laser disc of LH. I have it on dvd, transferred from the laser. It's too bad that the laser disc isn't the complete roadshow version. Maybe......fingers crossed.........when and if it comes out on dvd, the entire original version will be restored. There was the fertility dance, 2 reprises of "Living Together, Growing Together" and a few other musical interludes that are still missing.

"Lost Horizon" screened a few years back here in Los Angeles. And, it was a remastered/restored print. But, it was the edited version...not the partial restored laser disc version. Michael York was there for a Q&A after the movie. The rep from Columbia/Sony who provided the film, said that they have no intention to release it on video or dvd. So, who knows?

Nmartin....it's been so long since I've watched AT LONG LAST LOVE. Which character sings "Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love?"

Updated On: 12/13/07 at 06:40 PM
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Most Gentlemen..." Cybill Shepard, Eileen Breenan, and Madeline Kahn. As a young homosexual, I used to play the soundtrack and dance and sing along. Oh, the humanity!
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is that the scene where they are in the ladies room of the department store?
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm 99% sure this is correct. I can still see them kicking on "they just like to kick it around". When it first came out, I think I was about 13 or 14 and I just loved it. I haven't seen it since and would love to.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Let's get Bryan on the case.
Poster Emeritus
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I also remember John Hillerman and Eileen Brennan doing "But in the Morning, No". Anybody remember this line from Brennan to Hillerman: "I love your pj's."?
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I certainly hope these come out--can you imagine the commentary tracks?

Maybe someone would be able to explain a lyric that has confounded me since I first heard it--
"The world is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where it really ends."

What the hell does that mean?

I also remember Pauline Kael's "Lost Horizon" savaging--"The pauses for the pedagogic songs are so awkward one feels that the director's wheelchair needs oiling."
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If I am not mistaken, both of these movies were included in a book called The Golden Turkey Awards. I wish I still had my copy. God only knows what happened to it.
n69n Profile Photon69n Profile Photo
n69n
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
you *know* Sally Kellerman would love to do commentary!
i want to make thngs that count
- George, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE
bschneid76 Profile Photobschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I loved both of these films. I really didn't think At Long Last Love was too painful to sit through, I found it rather enjoyable. But Lost Horizon, that does require some patience haha. But it goes next to the other films in the So Bad their Good categories. Another film I would love to have on DVD would be Vincente Minnelli's final film A Matter of Time with Liza and Ingrid Bergman. Not a great film, but nostalgic :)
"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know if this is true for AT LONG LAST LOVE, but LOST HORIZON was never even released on VHS home video!

After the world premiere of AT LONG LAST LOVE, guest Ethel Merman was heard to remark "Thank God, Cole isn't alive to see this."

I'm sure she said it in her most discreet sotto voce.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 10:55 AM
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't think I could sit through all of 'Lost Horizons' but I could watch the Olivia/Sally duet every morning for breakfast.
re: Will 'Lost Horizon' & 'At Long Last Love' ever come out on dvd?
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, I always love it when Missy Gielgud plays "exotic".
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 11:03 AM
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When we were filming 'The Company' I spent many long days with Malcolm McDowell. I loved his stories about Gielgud having the time of his life on the set of "Caligula".
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You got to meet Malcolm McDowell??? Oh how I envy you!!

I saw a wonderful documentary about him on the O LUCKY MAN! DVD. He looks like he is one hell of a storyteller and a great guy. And sexier than ever!
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
True, true, true. Total crush material.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They release "The Apple" on dvd and not these. Go figure.

And where is the dvd of the musical version of "Goodbye Mr. Chips"? I'm dying to see that.
....but the world goes 'round
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I could watch the Olivia/Sally duet every morning for breakfast."

Glebby---Did you ever hear the cover of that song ("The Things I Will Not Miss") by Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye?

It's on their Diana & Marvin album, and it's wonderful!
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A few clips from At Long Last Love can be found on youtube.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I found this too from "Lost Horizon."

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JlE0Lb46rVE
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was reminded by watching this that they actually CRASHED a plane into the snowy mountains when they made this movie. Not a model or a special effect... but a real airplane! With a multi-camera setup to capture it on film.

You KNOW that wasn't cheap. It was in all the papers at the time, as a publicity stunt. "Sparing no expense!"
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cra-zee! Y'know Larry Kramer wrote the screenplay, right?