Page: 1

Scorsese's commerical. A tribute to Hitchcock.

JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What I noticed was that most of the references are from North by Northwest. They are:

the music, the title sequence, the girl's hair and dress, the guy holding her back in the audience (a direct steal from the auction scene), R.O.T. on the hankerchief, the older guy in the box would be Leo G. Carroll, and his holding the cork would be the microfilm. Also, the photographer.

Other references I noticed were the entire opening single shot pan seemed to be a reference to Rope.

The shot of Simon running up the stairs is Vertigo.

The red glare optical of the flashbulb is from Rear Window.

The Dial M For Murder strangle and stab and search for the key.

The guy falling is Saboteur, Psycho, The Man Who Knew Too Much, but mostly Jimmy Stewart's fall in Rear Window. Also the concert hall setting and close-up of music is The Man Who Knew Too Much, as well.

The wine bottle is Notorious.

The performer snitching on Simon reminded me of the ballerina snitching on Paul Newman and Julie Andrews in Torn Curtain.

The zoom-out from the window is a bit Rear Window, Vertigo and even a bit of a reverse of the opening of Psycho; and, of course, The Birds.

I'm sure I've missed some things. It's excellent though!
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow, excellent movie trivia! Thanks, it is a fabulous commerical (5 minutes)!
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The opening shot is a reversal of a similar shot in YOUNG AND INNOCENT, in which the camera moves from a wide shot of a busy restaurant to a tight closeup on the eyes of one of the musicians.

The shot of the man with the case is right out of MARNIE.

And so on and so on and so on. I got bored and moved on.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Ida Noodleman
Stand-by
Stand-by
I love the end which mirrors the gathering of the crows at the Bodega Bay School. Of course, the blond woman is so Grace Kelly, one of Hitchcock's obsessions.
What would Tina Yothers do?