Page: 1

I Walked Out of Across the Universe

BobbyBubby Profile PhotoBobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I Walked Out of Across the Universe#1
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:19pm
What a pretentious piece of garbage. We stood about 20 minutes and decided coctails would be more fun. I even tried to get into the spirit of the times with some green magic, but I was bored out of my mind! Try again Taymor!
jpbran Profile Photojpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#2
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:48pm
You probably would have liked the movie more if you weren't standing.

Kidding.

I just went into it expecting it to be a well staged "EPCOT"-esque version of the Beatles and the 1960s, so I wasn't disappointed (just bored a bit in the last sections). And I have a big crush on "Jude."

I would have probably REALLY loved it though with some "green magic." Oh well. That's what the DVD will be for... re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe
BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#2
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:52pm
I hear the DVD will come with a nickel bag.
lovinlovett Profile Photolovinlovett Profile Photo
lovinlovett
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#3
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:55pm
I stayed for the whole thing...all 2 1/2 hours of it. There were some good moments but over all I was disappointed. It was way too long and I think they should have cut out Prudence entirely. It would've been better with some serious editing. I liked the "I Get by with a Little Help from my Friends" sequence and "Something". I really liked Joe Anderson who played Max. I would like to see more of him. I was watching "Becoming Jane" last weekend and he's in that movie also.
Edit: Someone on IMDB mentioned Joe should play Kurt Cobain and that concept sounds amazing! He really looks like him anyway.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1725848/
Updated On: 11/30/07 at 08:55 PM
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#4
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:55pm
Did you really have to start a new thread for this?
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#5
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:58pm
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Had I not been with somebody who liked it, I also would have walked.

BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#6
Posted: 11/30/07 at 8:58pm
It's not like I'm wasting paper. Get over it and go belittle someone else to boost your self-esteem.
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#7
Posted: 11/30/07 at 9:02pm
I wasn't belittling you I just asked why you thought it was necessary when there was a really big thread about the movie. I'm no bully.
JoshuaEads Profile PhotoJoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#8
Posted: 11/30/07 at 9:11pm
I thought the first half hour was just ridiculous. After that, I felt that the film really picked up and was mostly enjoyable for the duration.

~Joshua

P.S. - On a side note, I have to disagree with Neddy. I have officially deemed "The Mist" the worst movie ever after the tortuous two hours I spent watching it the other day. Decent short story, wretched movie.
My lip gloss is poppin'...
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#9
Posted: 11/30/07 at 9:16pm
Awful film, but there was so much potential.
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#10
Posted: 11/30/07 at 11:02pm
I burst out laughing a couple of times--the "revolution" song in the office ("How could you do something like that???!!!!" What, sing off-key?) and "Strawberry Fields" (quit singing and take cover, you fool!)
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
lakezurich Profile Photolakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#11
Posted: 12/1/07 at 12:19am
Most definitley one of the worst movies ever (and this is comming from someone who sae the Dungeons & Dragons Movie)!! Like roquat, there were many times where I actually burst out laughing. Most definitley the worst waste of $9.00 EVER!!!
Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#12
Posted: 12/1/07 at 1:16am
"It was way too long and I think they should have cut out Prudence entirely" No way! She was the BEST part of the movie. Her voice was killer and suited the music, and I really liked her storyline. I cared more for her than the leading characters. I think if Taymor beefed her part up - or at least gave it equal time - the whole movie would have been better. Instead, she was wasted and used only once.

As a whole, I enjoyed the movie. I thought Taymor had moments of brillance (With the "I Want You" sequence and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand") But she needs not a storyteller. She is a visionary. She needed a better editor, or script writer.
lakezurich Profile Photolakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#13
Posted: 12/1/07 at 3:03am
Sorry RentBoy, but I totally disagree with your view of Prudence! She added absolutely NOTHING to the story except for a a lesbian character, and a chance for them to throw in a few more songs. She did have a good voice though, but just the voice is not enough for me to want to keep a totally useless character around.
Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#14
Posted: 12/1/07 at 4:51am
Great soundtrack. Pretty good movie.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Updated On: 2/3/09 at 04:51 AM
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#15
Posted: 12/1/07 at 5:01am
Is Priest drunk?
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#16
Posted: 12/1/07 at 10:21am
Woah, Priest.

Time for rehab.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#17
Posted: 12/1/07 at 10:39am
He said, "No, no, no."
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#18
Posted: 12/1/07 at 4:55pm
Picture yourself in a boat, on a river. You get by with a little help from your friends. You get to the bottom you go back to the top of the slide. I am the walrus. There, beneath the blue suburban skies. We all live in a yellow submarine. Help me if you can I'm feeling down. Ooh I need your lovin'. Will you still need me, when I'm 64?

Life goes on.

There ya go Julie I wrote ya a sequeal!
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#19
Posted: 12/1/07 at 6:58pm
And yet, it was a Critic's Pick of the New York Times (including a rave review,) and Ebert gave it four stars. Opinion is a wonderful thing.

I wonder who most people listen to?
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#21
Posted: 12/2/07 at 1:56pm
Julie has always been a darling of the Times. I believe she could poop on a plate and they would give her a rave review!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#22
Posted: 12/2/07 at 3:40pm
The movie was a mixed bag, ranging from the fantastic image of the "bloody" strawberries lined up in rows to the utterly pointless stuff with Eddie Izzard and Bono. If it was really the worst thing you guys have seen, you've been really lucky over the years. I can name five worse movies in under 30 seconds.
shermanslave Profile Photoshermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: I Walked Out of Across the Universe#23
Posted: 12/2/07 at 6:42pm
Well, I hope you at least stayed for my big scene! Okay, okay I did background on it with every other SAG actor in NYC. What, you didn't see me in the mob scene at grant's Tomb? Stay tuned for my next appearance in Savages with Laura Linney when I play "man walking into building".
Please visit Bitchy Waiter